Gunboards Forums banner

Mossberg 151m a

13K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Solddaboat 
#1 ·
So I just purchased a 151m a, and it's not feeding. It fires if a shell is put directly into the barrel, but that's it. Does anybody know what the problem could be and if it can easily be fixed? It's something I would like to pass down through the generations. Thanks.

#2 ·
It could be a number of reasons. I would start with the magazine tube and see if there is something stuck in it. You should be able to see the end of the plunger if you look into the chamber. If you do not, try sliding a stiff piece of string down the magazine tube to see if it goes all the way. Also look and see if the magazine tube is dented or bent. If you do get ammo all the way to the chamber and it does not feed from there you should clean it and make sure it is assembled properly.

Here are exploded views and disassembly instructions.

http://www.box54.com/ex151.jpg

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/151m-assemble.htm

#3 ·
I know I may be a little late to this thread, you may have already solved your problem.
The instructions that dhuze are very helpful. I recently refurbished a 151M(b) and they can be a little tricky to reassemble correctly.
First, as dhuze suggested, make sure that the magazine tube is functioning correctly and that you can see the end of the plunger in the bottom of the chamber.
Second, remove the barrel from the stock and inspect the magazine tube assembly. Make sure that the cartridge cut-off and spring are working correctly. There is a tension spring attached to a slot under the magazine tube and secured with a wood screw forward of the tube. The screw hole is slotted to allow fore and aft adjustment of the magazine tube.
Third, when you reassemble the barrel to the stock the allignment of the magazine tube is critical. You will notice on the bottom of the receiver, where the magazine tube rests, that there are four small slots cut in the bottom. These four slots allign with the four metal tabs on the outside of the magazine tube. The tabs must allign with the slots when the barrel is attached. If you install the barrel lighly your can check the allignment of the two parts. If they don't lign up, loosed the tension spring scew to move the tube as needed. The tension spring keeps the magazine tube pressed up against the receiver into the four slots. The cartridge cut-off rides against the bolt to release the shell from the magazine.
Everything must be alligned or it will not feed correctle.
The 151 really is a wonderful little rifle.

#5 ·
If the trigger return spring is installed correctly and you are engaging the sear pin correctly when you are reassembling, the only other problem area is the disconnector and disconnecter pin.
The disconnector pin engages the slots on the top of the trigger. Make sure the disconnector pin is centered, equal amounts of pin sticking out of each side of the disconnector. If it's uneven it can rub on the inside of the stock. If you need to move it it moves easily with a whack of a small hammer. You may see some small scuff marks from the pin on the inside of the stock.
Check the disconnector and sear on the bottom of the receiver and make sure the move freely. The trigger pushes the disconnector forward in a small slot in the disconnector bracket. The whole assembly doesn't move vary much.
Also, maye sure the trigger spring is installed correctly with the loop under the magazine tubeand the spring tabs on the bottom of the trigger bar. I know you stated that you had it installed correctly but I've put in in wrong many times thinking it was correct.

Good luck

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.