Default Value of a Spencer Carbine in fair/poor condition

I walked into my local gunshop yesterday and they had a Spencer Carbine up on the wall!
    It was found between the floorboards in an old home in NY wrapped in a blanket. There is a lot of pitting on the outside of the barrel and minor pitting on the action. The wood is in good condition. There are no markings that i can see on the piece.

The rifling is in very good shape however and it comes with about 100 rds of ammo that the previous owner reloaded. He converted th breech to centerfire but has the original rimfire block and loading tube.

I don't have any pics but I was wondering what the ballpark vaule might be? He is asking $500 for the package.

A picture would give us a better understanding of the condition but sounds a little high to me.

That sounds like a fair price if you want a shooter. There are plenty of Spencers surviving and many are in great condition so I've my doubts it has great collector value. You don't say if its a M1860 or a M1865 - the earlier version is much more rare and would have much more collector value, condition notwithstanding. Most of the M1865s were delivered after the CW was over and went directly from storage to Ordnance sales. A large number went to France in the Franco-Prussian war (for instance).
    In any case, the CF breechblock setup costs a good part of the asking price so, if a Spencer shooter interests you, go for it. The markings are on the top of the receiver at the breech.

is the cutoff device forward of the trigger the most notable difference between the 2? I don't think this one had it, but I am not sure. I'll go back today and grab some photos.

It is not unusual to find a Spencer which had the Stabler cut-off installed with the cut-off now broken or removed. Having a working cutoff may provide a bit of price or collector premium. Spencers are fun guns to shoot and useing the magazine is a good lesson on how or why many Federal troopers liked them. I sure like mine and it functions smoothly. Joe

I love my rifle version, and what Joe says is true, the whole package is very slick and extremely well designed. I have the later Spencer patent cut-off on mine.

Go for it!
    My own virtual museum, growing one entry at a time. Keep checking back!
    http://militarygunsofeurope.eu/

If I'd seen it first, you wouldn't have the chance to consider it. As stated, the centerfire conversion is worth a goodly chunk of the price and since it isn't a high end collectable, no problem flogging it on the range.
    Rich in West Virginia, savoring life one cartridge at a time.

Hi Richard!
    Here are some pics I took today...
    Barrel has been re-lined and rifling looks new
    Still worth $500?

I'd buy it for that- but then again I love the spencer rifle design- I wish my local area gunstore had it- it wouldn't have sat there at all!
    JMG

can you guys tell what model it is? It does look like there was a cutoff by the trigger but it has been removed. There is an empty screw hole there.

I would buy it in a hot minute if it was near me. It looks like it could be cleaned up nicely. I may be way off base here but I am thinking a Model 1865. In any case there are still a fair number of parts available for them, ammunition is obtainable ( center fire ) or can be reloaded for. That carbine begs for a good cleaning and some range time. Even converted to CF the carbine has a solid niche in the roll call of early repeaters and this one deserves a good home and care. Joe

What's the best way to take care of the external metal on this piece? I've never had a rifle with such bad pitting on the outside. I don't want to hurt its value either.