Default 22 Target rifle RANGER??? no other name/MFG

I picked up what looks to be a very nice 22 rifle.
    It was dark when I got home from the gun show , so I fired a couple shots into my burn pit.
    very nice trigger and action.

It only has the word ""Ranger 22 long rifle ""on the barrel, no serial number that I can find so it has to be a pre 1968 , it is a outfitted target rifle, with a ballance weight bar inletted into the fore arm, a wickade Lyman rear sight that telascopicly adjusts forward and reverse for the shooter eye position and of course minute clicks for eleavtion/windage with a plastic/leatherish eye cup.

It has a Win 52 look with the flat/checkered butt plate same stock style and globe front sight, here is the deal The bolt handel locks mid way into the receiver not at the rear.

I am still trying to reserch this rifle but cam here first, any help would be great. I will try to post pictures on Sun.
    Thanks Yoda

sears had ranger marked guns

Like mr44 said, Ranger was a brand name for Sears. There was also a company called Ranger in Texas until the early 70's. If it is a Sears model it should have Sears, Roebuck Co on the left side of the barrel. Pictures would help.

was able to get some pics at dusk, I took it out of the stock last night. NO other proof marks or patents, nothing excepet Ranger and 22lR.

I have a sears robuck 22 but this aint it, unless I am completely mistaken. The blue book had only 3 lines about Ranger , no prices or model numbers.

It cam with 2 savage clips, they fit but hang up when closeing the bolt any ideas on the clips.

I found a couple Rangers on GB but they all seem to have model numbers and only one has the same bolt lock up location as mine.

Here are the pcis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCI0002_1.jpg   DSCI0003_1.jpg   DSCI0005_1.jpg   DSCI0004_1.jpg   DSCI0006_1.jpg   DSCI0007_1.jpg  

I know it's not any help on the ID, but my dad had one of these rifles up until it got stolen from him in about 1983. It was a tack driver, heavy barreled target rifle in a world that none existed, at least in N GA where I grew up. I've looked for a replacement for his since then as he did dearly love that gun and almost wept at its loss. He didn't shed a tear at the loss of his mother or father. That cold hearted bastage doesn't deserve it, but I've always felt I had something to do with it getting stolen since I've always thought that it was kids I went to school with that liberated it and others, although I've never been able to prove it.
    CAD

Look on this site about a third of the way down the page, he claims them to be a Savage NRA Model from 1933, which if I remember correctly judging by apparent age on my dad's that could be correct.

http://bubbler.wordpress.com/2008/02...le-collection/

After a little more digging on the subject google Savage/Stevens Model 416, I think you will find that this is your rifle and marketed by Sears, thus the "Ranger" name.
    Last edited by CADFather; 11-07-2010 at 09:11 PM.
    After 4 years I finally got a job, but if you need any drafting or design work done give me a shout, I may be working in the prison system now but I didn't forget how to draw.

Thank you very much for the thread and the help. I had never heard of these before and only try to collect US property 22s but had to have this one.

I was able to get about 10 shots off just before the area lights came on ( realy rushed for time today)

I set some soda cans out at 60yrds, could hardly see thru the rear peep and the front globe made it hardder but I busted each can and put a few more shots in them for good measure, can't wate untill I have some good day lite and a few hrs to diale it in, mine fits very comfortable and hits right were I piont it at.

I will give the thread a rty, thanks again
    Chris

Well, it looks almost exactly the same, the action anyways, the stock is just a touch different but not much. Thanks alot this gives me a hung advantage when looking it up, Tried to look it up on GB to no prevail, I will rty AA next.

VERY well told story, his grandfather made a lasting impression

Thanks so much you realy saved me a lot of time.
    Chris

Thumbs up

I've got one exactly like you described. Mine also has a scope on it. The only marking on the rifle is RANGEr and the scope is not marked. It is exactly like the Stevens mod. 416. Mine is a tack driver also.I'll throw up some pictures when I can locate them.

I've had one of these Ranger for yrs and love it,the locking timeofthe trigger is exceptional and the peep sights helps a lot, the precision considering that the piece is an not so expensive gun, is outstanding, the only annoying point is that the latch that retains the magazine in a little bit heavy to operate the mag change
    I am an international Gunboards patron

i also have a 22 single shot bolt action it is marked ranger .22 cal.and was told that it was your garden variety cooey .22

BobO can you post pics of your magazine, that might help me find the correct one

Thanks yoda

Yoda, I'll have to dig it out and take a picture.

Thumbs up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ranger7.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	369426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ranger6.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	369424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ranger5.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	369425Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun pic's (14).JPG 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	369427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ranger7.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	369426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ranger6.JPG 
Size:	283.0 KB 
ID:	369424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ranger5.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	369425Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gun pic's (14).JPG 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	369427Here are some pictures I took awhile back.Sorry about the doubles.

BobO.
    Yours looks to be in abetter shape than mine finish wise.
    is there anyway I can a few pics of just the magazine, so I can print them off and take it to the parts vender for ID.
    Thanks
    Chris