Default Ruger .44 Carbine stock is breaking... Any options?

I have a '63 Ruger carbine (.44 Cal.) that is constantly in/out of the shop, and this time it has developed at crack forward of the magazine feed tray. Does anyone know where I can find synthetic stock for this gun? If not, do we have any recommendations about how to keep this gun shooting?

-Thomas

I couldn't find any except for a custom fiberglass stock at $595 from MPI! And everyone is sold out of the wood stocks.

If I were you I'd inlet or drill a hole for a piece of brass rod or 2 (available at hardware stores ) running across the crack then epoxy it and the crack. Lots of info on stock repair in this forum. The exact location and rod size depend on stock geometry and crack location.

The older Ruger 44 Carbines need full power ammo to function. A lot of 44 ammo is wimped down for revolvers and function will be iffy with that, causing lots of jams.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

If the wood is not oil soaked an acraglas repair will be stronger than the surrounding wood. If the wood is oil soaked, oven cleaner will remove the worst of it. An acetone soak the rest. Brownells sells a whiting compound that I keep on hand that works as well.
    I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

Well Stanley, Here's another fine mess you've got me in.

truedblued.com

Just got an email back from MPI. Fiberglass stocks for the .44 Carbine are ON SALE for 329.00 plus shipping. Seems like a good choice, but are the fiber glass stocks any STRONGER than the hardwood stocks? Does anyone know if the fiber glass stocks will deal with the rough action of the rifle any better than the hardwood stocks?

My personal opinion is that yes, the fiberglass will handle the abuse better. It will also be heavy, unless it has a different core material.
    I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

Well Stanley, Here's another fine mess you've got me in.

truedblued.com

fiberglass is indeed stronger

FIVESHOT

I have repaired two of the older Deer Stalker stocks. One was broken in half at the action.
    If you replace the wood stock with a synthetic one, what do you plan to do with the wood stock?

For the money, you should try the stock repair and acraglas bedding, if the action is moving enough in a 50 year old wood stock to cause that much stress the bedding should help. If the repairs do not work for you then you have a "plan B" of buying a new stock.
    You stated that this gun is "in and out of the shop" what other issues are you having?

The magazine tube retainer mechanism which retains the rounds in magazine decided to bend its self out of shape three weeks ago. Took that in to the shop and had it fixed. Now its back in the shop with the cracked stock and another problem. The transfer bar which presses on the magazine tube retainer, to release a new round during the cycling process, snapped at its pivot point. Gonna take it back out and do some more hunting on Monday and see if it won't hold up. the fellow at the gunshop said that IF I decide to get this fiberglass stock from MPI, that I should definitely ask to have it with a recoil lug. Not sure if it is even possible with the way that Ruger designed these old rifles, but its worth asking.

-Thomas

If I were you I'd be looking at other rifles. Sounds like whatever busted the mag tube retainer also got the transfer bar. That and the cracked stock indicate there's some serious problem(s). Or it just may have reached the end of its life, and your cost for fixing it is now greater than for buying a new rifle.

The Remington autoloaders, 740, 742, 7400 aren't noted for durability either, and I guess most only fire a few rounds sighting in and hunting, so there's not much incentive to change them.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

The repairs have all been very cheap so far, and I only spent 200.00 on the rifle in the first place. I really love the rifle and the fact that it is a semi-automatic .44 Mag., so I guess I am gonna put up with it and see how exactly how much more I can get out of it. After that? Hard to say.

-Thomas

Thats what the gun shop did over the last few days. Epoxy'd the stock crack. Taking it out on Monday and going to see if it won't last me any longer.

-Thomas

Just epoxying the cracks will not hold up. The inside of the action area will need to be reinforced with fiberglass cloth.

gunny- If I tell the folks at the shop to "fiberglass-cloth the inside of the stock", are they gonna know what I'm trying to tell them?

-thomas