Thread: SKS misfire

Default SKS misfire

Hello all, Im new to this.
    I would like to ask if anyone has had a problem with ammo brand and misfiring with the SKS yugo.
    The sks was packed in cosmoline and cleaned well before I got it. plus it had 40 to 50 rounds put threw it .While at the range I had 3 brands of ammo wolf , golden tiger and reloads . the wolf and golden tiger both had several misfires leaving just a dent in the primer and the reloads had no problem at all. the only thing i could see that was difirent was on the wolf and golden tiger the primers where deeper into the cartridge and the reloads where flush. also note the same ammo works really well in my ak47.
    so i guess what im asking is the yugo SKS picky about the ammo i use in it??
    or is there somthing else i should be looking for?
    any info would be great.

does it have the grenade launcher on it ?

ive had trouble with every one of them

ive owned. will never own another one

FIVESHOT

blast the bolt firing pin hole with brake cleaner, bore scrubber, or similar product (wear safety glasses)

Does it have the aftermarket "spring loaded" firing pin? Did you clean the bolt (disassemble) yourself? Sometimes the slfp won't hit the hard military primers hard enough and you don't really know if the firiing pin channel is clean unless you take it apart. I use pipe cleaners and solvent on mine, but I don't own a Yugo. May have to replace the firing pin or hammer spring.
    Hope this helps.

Wolf Military Classic doesn't work for s#%t in my Yugo... many FTF, all cases show deep primer hits. Sometimes they go off with a second hit. Gave up on Wolf Military Classic after having 6-8 FTF out of each box of 20, box after box of the 200 rounds I tried. BTW, my Yugo has been properly cleaned, all cosmoline removed... and there was a LOT of it. Yugo milsurp works well.

I've shot a lot of the ammo you mentioned, except the handloads and never had a single problem. Since you said your rifle was really greased up, may I suggest you disassemble the extractor and remove the firing pin, then flush out the bolt innards and clean the pin. Cosmolene or whatever they used can sometimes dry up and prevent full firing pin protrusion. Often using brake cleaner, carb cleaner or Gun Scrubber just can't get to the crud without dissassembly---which you'll only need to do once. If you're uncomfortable with taking off the extractor, an alternative is to heat the bolt in a 150 deg oven for ten minutes which will loosen up (hopefully) the crud, then spray the snot out of it. When done, the firing pin should produce an audible "tink-tink" as you shake the bolt back and forth.

HTH

The following Youtube video will clearly demonstrate how to disassemble the extractor and remove the firing pin. It's not that difficult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B7X4IItVoI

Mike

Wow Thanks . i did use brake cleaner and brake free gun solvant. had it soaking in it all night long but still didnt get that "tink" sound.getting ready to watch the you tube to see how to take the firing pin out . it seems to be free floating . the only spring is on the hammer. and yes on the grenade launcher+ night sights
    thanks for the info , will let you all know what happens,

Default Found somthing!

Well got it apart and found a tiny chunk of metal in front of the taperd part of the firing pin and cant find where it came from, but the pin moves freely now and sticks out further. going to the range tomorrow hope everything works, then hunting. ging to try to upload a pic of the chunkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1112002037.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	370634also want to thank you guys for all the help. thats a dremel cutting blade box and the chunk is as big as the hole for the firing pin

Quote Originally Posted by Static Zap View Post
    Well got it apart and found a tiny chunk of metal in front of the taperd part of the firing pin and cant find where it came from, but the pin moves freely now and sticks out further. going to the range tomorrow hope everything works, then hunting. ging to try to upload a pic of the chunkClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1112002037.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	172.5 KB 
ID:	370634also want to thank you guys for all the help. thats a dremel cutting blade box and the chunk is as big as the hole for the firing pin
    I think you have been very fortunate. Had that piece of metal wedged the firing pin in the "out" position, you would have found yourself with a full auto SKS. Could the piece of metal be from a failed primer?
    Damn the expense, use your turn signals today... and as a special favour, try doing it before you have two wheels in the next lane.

When test firing at the range, I would recommend you fire off 10 rounds or so loading them one at a time, just in case the pin sticks. Then fire off some rounds loading only two in the magazine. Inspect the cases of these rounds very carefully for signs of bulging keeping in mind steel cases often split while brass will bulge. As far as the piece of metal you found, it would have to be pretty small to squeeze into the bolt innards but could be there from someone's else's poor assembly of the firing pin into the bolt...perhaps shaved off of the retention pin??

In any case, your experience adds great weight to the necessity of disassembling the firing pin and doing a proper cleaning when one receives one of these SKS's that are from storage. A stuck pin not only induces full auto firing but can also cause the rifle to fire out of battery which can be catastrophic to both gun and shooter.

Let us know how the range session goes.

Dont know , went to the range this morning and the first box " 20 rounds" worked fine then it started misfiring again. the firing pin feels sticky in the bolt. i may need to send it off to sombody to get it fixed or replaced. other than this problem i really like this gun , its right on target and very comfortable

well broke down and orderd a new pin from murraysguns.. after looking closer at the firing pin i noticed it has a very slight curve to it . im on vacation for the next 6 day so i sould be able to try it soon. And thanks again guys for all the info
    Last edited by Static Zap; 11-13-2010 at 06:57 PM.