Gunboards Forums banner

Colombian FN-49

10K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  rattletrap1970 
#1 ·
I was taking some photos today and took some of this rifle. Just thought I would share.

See less See more
#5 ·
Is the butt pad metal or rubber? It looks like a rubber one. Was this how they original came from the factory or was the rubber butt plate put on by the Columbians or by the the importer to make the rifles more "sporty"?

#7 ·
The rubber pad is not from FN. Probably a Colombian modification, but no one knows for sure. The pad is similar but not exactly like the pad on the Colombian Madsen bolt action rifle.

#9 ·
Mawkie, thanks for the compliment. Yup still "working" :laugh: part time (if you call it working) at gunslinger auctions. We recently moved to a bigger location, what a hassle and headache. Only a mile and a half move but it was still a pain.

I'm also in the process of buying another home in AZ. So in the near future I may need to sell off 100 or so rifles to make the move there a bit easier.

#11 ·
I'm also in the process of buying another home in AZ. So in the near future I may need to sell off 100 or so rifles to make the move there a bit easier.
Jimmy, sometimes it is not just your gun pictures that get my attention.;) If you have anything for me it is only a teeny detour to come via Las Vegas.:laugh:

#14 ·
Jimmy, sometimes it is not just your gun pictures that get my attention.;) If you have anything for me it is only a teeny detour to come via Las Vegas.:laugh:
I don't know... both states. Kind of the wild wild west.

I hear there are scoundrels, highwaymen and women of ill repute there.

A gentleman like myself might get taken advantage of
:laugh:

#16 ·
That there's an unusual rifle to see.

Colombia was very active in the modification of their inventory, part of their desperation to keep ahead of the guerilla war they've been in since the '60s. Many of their .30'06 rifles were converted by INDUMIL to 7,62x51mm for logistical reasons. A few years ago Springfield Sporters had the last/only examples of Garands rechambered by them, along with a bunch of Mauser-types.

Thanks for sharing!

#17 ·
seeing how there were only what, 2000 in the one and only order, which is harder to find, the original 30-06 or the redone versions. also, did the colombians have more caliber versions than the 30-06 and nato 308?? i will post some pics of my colombian fn-49 soon.

#18 ·
Hi,
Hope I'm not hijacking a thread but I think I have some relevent info.
I also have a columbian fn49 but it has the serial number on the stock on the right hand side near the reciever below the "dustcover???"
I have seen pictures of other fn49's with the serial number on the stock but never the columbians. I wonder what this means? The rifle serial number is 05** and the stock number is 0852. The magazine also has a small "c" and the number 0315 on the bottom.
It is also in very good but obviously refinished condition. The finish on mine is the same type as yours. Some kind of Englishy looking black paint.
The texture of the metal under the paint is also simulair to yours.
On mine, I am personally sure it has been sitting in a safe since the 60's and not touched but I know thats what they all say.

I think it would be cool to find serial number 0852 and match the stock back up. As long as the other stock was in the same condition anyways.

Any how I thought since there's not too many pictures of columbian fn 49's on the net I could post another one for comparison. View attachment 527105

Thanks

#19 ·
colombian fn-49 #0401

here's my colombian fn. it's in outstanding shape with a good bore. shot it a few times now. the stoving is at least 90% and the stock is excellant. no marks on the exterior except for a W in the safety recess. the muzzle threading cap comes off! is that normal? thought they were welded. corrugated buttplate got some stoving too.

#20 ·
That is a nice one!! In addition to the one pictured above I also have another Colombian Serial number 0006. It has it's original corrugated butt plate. Yes the "muzzle cap or thread protectors" were made to just protect the threads so a blank firing attachment could be used. Do you have a original FN-49 wrench made to remove the thread covers?

They look like this.

#24 ·
I finally got some better pictures.
My questions are,
Has anyone else seen stock numbers on a Columbian fn49?
What about serial numbers on the magazine?
What about the rubber charging handle cover. That was bought with the rifle in the late 60's.
Any idea on the value. I paid dearly for it but I figured it was my only chance to buy one.
Thanks

#25 ·
Nope on the SN on the stock. Not done by FN

Same with the SN on the mag. That was done after manufacture , probably during it's life in Colombia.

The charging handle cover looks like part of a large wire nut.....Definitely not FN. What butt plate does your rifle have?

#26 ·
The cover over the charging handle is just a rubber slip on cover. Thats how I got it. I've seen them on FN Fals but never fn49's. It just slips on and off. The charging handle is normal.
The butt plate is the serrated sheet metal butt plate. I was pretty certain at least the mag was marked after manufacture since it is a little uneven. Do any of the other mags have a "c" stamped on it. I have a few other parts stamped with a "c".
The number on the stock has me curious. Since the number doesn't match the rifle one can assume at least some others were stamped with a serial number sometime in Columbia. The rifle has obviously been through a rebuild process but so have most of the others I have seen and they dont have numbers.
For what its worth I am quite certain this is in the same condition when it was purchased in the U.S in the late 60's and I'm the 2nd owner.
Since most of the columbian fn 49's have been rebuilt and the stocks sanded ( I assume), Is it possible that the original Columbian Fn49's had the serial number stamped in the stock during the rebuild process and that most were sanded or worn off later. Also notice the font of the stock markings and receiver markings are different.

Has anyone noticed that the stock with rubber butt pads dont have the stock recoil bolt? I wonder if adding a recoil bolt was a modifiaction added later. But why would some get a recoil bolt and some get a rubber butt pad?

#27 ·
Just when i was happy to have a LUX in 06, a egy in 8mm and a vene in 7mm you guys are showing off more and different fn49's. We don't see that many different fn49's for sale even on the net.

My vene fn49 has the purdiest fiddle back/ tiger striped stock i have ever seen on an fn49.

#28 ·
Just when i was happy to have a LUX in 06, a egy in 8mm and a vene in 7mm you guys are showing off more and different fn49's. We don't see that many different fn49's for sale even on the net.
You'll go crazy trying to collect every variant of anything. I finally just buy what I like, obsess for awile and move on. I remember the "old days" before the internet when info was hard fought for. Everyone read the same few books and unless you had hands on experience you knew about the same as the next guy who read the same books. I could talk to a guy about guns for a bit and figure out his entire library. Now 14 year old kids can get on the interent and learn in 1 hour what took me years to learn.
Thats the curse of the internet. Just when you think you have a complete collection some wisenhimer has to show you something different.

#29 ·
I have some new info on the Columbians.
I P.M'ed Goose and this was his reply
Hi,

The Colombians in general are just a mess. Nearly all have been tinkered with - either in Colombia or here in the USA over the past 45 years since the rifles were imported. The magazine numbering has at least 3 different styles and was most likely done while in Colombian service. The rubber cover on the cocking handle I've seen before - another thing from Colombia I expect. Now - your stock serial number. Most Colombians don't have stock serial numbers. Some that DO have SNs, the location or font of the stamp is incorrect and was not done by FN. Your stock is an exception. The location is correct, alignment is good, the font of the stamp looks the same (or close to) that used by FN. Your stock could very well have been stamped by FN. Unfortunately, since so many of these rifles are messed up, establishing what is correct is problematic. If your stock wasn't stamped by FN - someone did a very good job...

Goose / Wayne J.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.