Default Best Maxi Ball Grain Weight for a 50 Cal. Renegade--320, 350, 370?

Looking for opinion on best maxi ball bullet weight for a 50 cal Renegade. Recently I shot a cow elk with a 320 grain maxi-ball (100 gr. Pyrodex) out of a borrowed Renegade. The shot went directly through the animal at 70 feet. The local gun shop recommended the 320 maxi ball as opposed to a 270, 350 or 370 maxi ball/ maxi hunter. Which conical is best for the 50 cal within 100 yards (only can see a max of 100 yards) and what might be best at over that range. Might it be better to retain the lighter conical to shoot flatter at longer range as opposed to retention of more energy but great loss of tragetary? I also notice that mould companies only sell the maxi ball mould in 370. Is that just the traditional bullet size?

Quote Originally Posted by Durango-Juneau View Post
    ...................I also notice that mould companies only sell the maxi ball mould in 370. Is that just the traditional bullet size?
    Who knows why manufacturors do what they do? If you want "the traditional bullet" use a round ball, it will kill game just as well as the modern slugs and many report better accuracy with the round ball.

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

The "best" one is the one that provides best performance at range in question. And - not predictible with confidence. Have to shoot each weight at ranges you are interested in and go from there. Generally, the heavier bullets retain velocity better and are superior at longer ranges (the reason the US went from 405 to 500 grain bullets for the 45-70).
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

My TC 50 Cougar kills deer to 75yds no problem with 70gr 2fg and a 490ball for 100 + i think the 385gr hollowpoint hollow base Buffalo bullets are far more reliable and accurate , they make Moose go very dead. cheers Ian.

if 100 yards is all you can see and shoot, then go the heaviest if your rifle likes them.
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley