Default 1891 Argentine reloading

I took my "new" Argentine Mauser to the range and put 20 rounds of Privi Partizan through
    it. Results were abysmal. This ammo has .311 bullets. 8" group @ 50, 30".."group".. @ 100.

I need to slug the barrel and shoot larger slugs out of it.

If any of you have a good set up of dies, special parts, etc., for shooting larger
    jacketed or gas checked bullets I would appreciate the info - part numbers,
    URL's, tricks, etc.

Thanks, Marty

Default handloading 1891 mauser

Marty,
    I have an 1891 cavalry carbine that will keyhole 150gr. .311's at 50m. The 180gr Remington RN .310 shot quite a bit better. I still wouldn't hunt with it. I have a Polish M44 MN with a scout scope that will shoot 1" at 50m with the Rem 180's that I plan to take boar hunting. Try the heavier rounds and see if that makes a difference. The bullets aren't too expensive. Let us know what dia you bore slugs!
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by marty_GA View Post
    I took my "new" Argentine Mauser to the range and put 20 rounds of Privi Partizan through
    it. Results were abysmal. This ammo has .311 bullets. 8" group @ 50, 30".."group".. @ 100.

I need to slug the barrel and shoot larger slugs out of it.

If any of you have a good set up of dies, special parts, etc., for shooting larger
    jacketed or gas checked bullets I would appreciate the info - part numbers,
    URL's, tricks, etc.

Thanks, Marty

my 2c:

My rifles (1891 & 1909) shoot an identical load fairly well, your mileage may differ of course. Both seem to have minimum chamber specs, as the dies really need to be cranked down to a firm cam-over to resize. I have heard of anecdotal evidence to suggest that 7.65 belgian was ever so slightly longer (few thousanth's) in the shoulder than the argentine. Can anyone confirm?

I use Redding dies with Redding shellholder. I cannot get my RCBS dies to resize far enough down for some reason to get a case to chamber (Prefer RCBS dies normally). With the redding dies, the rifle closes with slight firm down pressure on the bolt handle. This inability to close after RCBS sizing was unaffected, either by just placing an empty case under the extractor and guiding it into the chamber, or making of a dummy round (bullet and case ONLY). They just wouldnt allow the bolt to close.

As for components: recommend hornady hrn3130c 174gr bthp, (available from graf's). Have had had good results with this bullet in both the argentine's, and the 7.7 Japanese. Diameter is .312

Danger Will Robinson: LOAD DATA: USE AT OWN RISK.

This data is conservative according to the hornady manual, but as always, must work up in YOUR rifle from the minimums.

Case: norma 7.65 arg (going to try resized, trimmed, and annealled 8mm cases this year: lots of work, but doing it over the winter isnt so bad)

Bullet: as stated

Primer: winchester large rifle

powder: IMR 4064. 36.5 gr. (mild by the book) Have found that charges of this powder and weights around 37 gr work well for mild target cartridges in a variety of military calibers around this bore size and near bullet weight (argentine, jap 7.7, swiss 7.5 with 168gr bthp) Also a 7mm chilean mauser with 139 gr soft points. Bullets just off the rifling or just kissing it. As always, work up from the minimum towards your goal.

COL: 2.830. This is kissing the rifling of my 1909, and just off in my 1891. This is SHORTER than book length. Have to find where yours lies.

The above combination produces consistent 2 to 2.5 inch groups for me at 100yds, and just a little high (2-3 inches) with as issued inverse V sights. Not exciting perhaps, but for ME, that is excellent grouping with the issue sights.

These are old world craftsmanship rifles at a nice price. Enjoy!

my 2c:
    Last edited by H&H; 12-29-2007 at 09:25 PM. Reason: duplicate post:

I have the same problem H&H has with RCBS dies, and being able to size them enough to chamber in my 1909. Shimming under the shellholder helped some, but boy, some of them are tight to close the bolt.
    I've been shooting those .311 Privi partisan softpoints from Graf's, over SR4759 for a very mild load.
    They shoot to point of aim at 100y, inside 2" consistently.
    I'm going to try another brand of die.

I have never noticed any trouble with RCBS dies and resizing cases for any of my 7.65 x 53 rifles. However, Argentine surplus ammo is a tight fit in one Peruvian.

Slug the bore. My experience is that some rifles prefer a .313 diameter bullet. Speer used to make them in 175 or 180 grain, but I'm not sure that they still do.

I have pulled down many original ctgs and all the bullets were .313.

I have a 1891 Argentine rifle, 1891 Argentine carbine & 1909 Argentine rifle.

200 gr .312" Lyman 311299 (from Wayne Doudna in Wisconsin), Norma cases, 12 grs Unique @ 50 yds 7 of 10 into one hole. Very accurate bullet/load combo in both the 1891 rifle and the Finn m/91 Mosin B-barrel. This load isn't quite as accurate in the 1909 rifle.

Dutchman

I've had good luck with the Hornandy 174gr. round nose in my cav. carbine 91. Three inches at 100yrds with a not so pristine bore and a rough trigger.

I'd also suggest getting Hornandy's loading manual. They list mild to moderate loads for the 7.65. The cartridge is listed as the 7.65x53 Belgian Mauser.

Took my little 91 out for whitetail this year but didn't get a shot. maybe next year.

Just thought..............what does the crown look like on your rifle? I wouldn't think .001" would make your rifle shoot 8" at 50yrds. :eek: