Thread: Butter knife bolt handle. One more time

Default Butter knife bolt handle. One more time

I realize this subject has been kicked around in the not too distant past but, I'm still looking for a source for Butter knife bolts handles. Brownell's is no longer an option as they have discontinued their version.

I have a Cooper model 36 Custom Classic in .22 LR that I think would look great with the flat bolt.

Check with this guy first: http://www.mosinnagant.net/Boltman/Boltman.html Jim R, the Boltman is a Gunboards member & Sponsor. He may be able to build something for you.

I remember an article several years ago about using an old open end wrench for a butterknife bolt handle. They cut the ends off and welded the shank onto the bolt. Good metal and already had the proper oval shape. I'll have to look for it and post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by kp321 View Post
    I remember an article several years ago about using an old open end wrench for a butterknife bolt handle. They cut the ends off and welded the shank onto the bolt. Good metal and already had the proper oval shape. I'll have to look for it and post pictures.
    i've seen a few of those & the look like an old crappy wrench welded onto a bolt handle.
    they are not very hard to make. use a 5/8" bolt that has at least 4" of unthreaded shank or a 4 or 5" long section of 5/8" rod.
    start by grinding about 1/4" off the back of the rod or bolt about 2 1/2" long & round over the very end.
    then start shaping the front side. you will want to start out on the end of the bolt by grinding ot filing a 1/8" flat across the end of the bolt or rod then shape it back around 2".
    along the sides you will want to leave around a .040 flat.
    once you get it started you should be able to see it coming together.
    my first one was to blocky but once you have a good one for refernce they are easy to make

Try max_shepherd bolt handle upgrades. He does the very best conversion I have ever seen, far superior to the original. He also makes a pull ring safety. max_shepherd can be found on eBay and Gun Broker. Ultra fast service.

DeHass did a "wrench" bolt handle on a Dutch rifle, looked good to me. I used one on a 93 Mauser
    that came out nice also. Pick a forged open end wrench that had an oval cross section.
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by wetgundog View Post
    I realize this subject has been kicked around in the not too distant past but, I'm still looking for a source for Butter knife bolts handles. Brownell's is no longer an option as they have discontinued their version.

I have a Cooper model 36 Custom Classic in .22 LR that I think would look great with the flat bolt.
    I made one out of 3/16" plate steel. Super easy. Draw it the shape you want it, cut it out with a torch or saw, heat it and shape it to your desire, then smooth and polish it up.
    35W

With all due respect ... the form of the bolt handle has nothing to do with the results on the paper target (or wild life on that matter).
    I may be stupid, or worse, but if someone thinks that the form of the bolt handle could influence his marksmanship ... he is a fool in my book. Always ready to proof this!
    The liking of some "extraordinary forms" is a totaly other matter of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Big commander View Post
    With all due respect ... the form of the bolt handle has nothing to do with the results on the paper target (or wild life on that matter).
    I may be stupid, or worse, but if someone thinks that the form of the bolt handle could influence his marksmanship ... he is a fool in my book. Always ready to proof this!
    Correct, although a bent bolt handle on a Finn M39 makes for a more enjoyable range day.

I have three M39's fitted with bent bolt handles* from "Boltman" - sponsor - and can only say they are well worth the investment. The longer handle provides more leverage and lets me keep the butt seated in my shoulder while operating the bolt.

*No "original" bolts were mutilated. I get spare bolts from Rick Reich - sponsor - and he mails them directly to "Boltman" if requested. (NB the bolts in Finn MN's were pulled from a pile, headspace checked and stamped with the last 3 digits of the rifle's serial number. How this can be considered "original" escapes me.)

the form of a bolt handle has nothing to do with your marksmanship but it has a lot to do with how quickly you can make a follow up shot. if the bolt handle is tucked in to tight to the stock you may get stomped into the dirt instead of stopping a PO'ed buff.

i made a butterknife handle this morning in about 45 minutes, it still needs finish sanding.
    i started out by putting a secion of a 5/8" bolt in a bench vise using a 1/4" keystock to eyeballl the height.

i then placed one of the brownells cast crap butterknife handles next to it to mark the length of the back of the handle.

then i used a 4 1/2" angle grinder to grind it down almost flush with the vise jaws. i then used a couple of files to smooth it out.

rounded it over with a disk sander

rough shaped the front side with a 4 1/2" sngle grinder

a little more file work on the front side

just about done, still needs a little bit of file work & finish sanded.

You guys just gave me an idea. We go to a lot of estate sales and tag sales in older houses and we see a lot of fancy silverware sets with awesome looking butter knives. My point is why not make a bolt handle out of the fancy butter knife. It would be different. If i'm going to build it i like being apart from what everyone else is doing.
    Are you ready for 12-21-2012?? Lets pray its the second comming of Christ and not the end like so many predict.

Aren't a lot of those fancy butter knives made from silver? pure silver? I am not a welder but can you weld steel to silver?

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
    You guys just gave me an idea. We go to a lot of estate sales and tag sales in older houses and we see a lot of fancy silverware sets with awesome looking butter knives. My point is why not make a bolt handle out of the fancy butter knife. It would be different. If i'm going to build it i like being apart from what everyone else is doing.
    and Aren't a lot of those fancy butter knives made from silver? pure silver? I am not a welder but can you weld steel to silver?
    notes Maximus Slade

Item one, the butter knife in a set of sterling flatware is going to be too thin (I just checked the one in the set of Reed & Barton Marlborough-pattern sterling I inherited from my Mom to be sure of that) to make a good bolt handle. Waste of time

Item two, no you couldn't weld a silver handle to a steel bolt. But you could braze or silver-solder it. And it would still be a waste of time and an otherwise valuable piece of sterling silver flatware.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

I have never tried it yet, but have always wondered why a person could not shape and weld on a steel spine for a bolt handle and then thinly overlay it with brazing rod. Then dress it down to the final dimension of a butter knife bolt handle............Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
    Butter knife handles will be stainless steel if not silver (why would anyone destroy a silver knife?). Different set of issues when it comes to welding two dis-similar metals.

Meier Works is dead and gone, I talked to midway staff and tgp " bought up what was left of them". I don't know what that means but there gone especially the butterknifes, I checked sent emails a snailmaill, and a couple of phone calls. max shepherd, and the bolt man both said they would do it if I could find the handle, but didn't have time to make one. I wound up going down to steel shop in town and buying a foot to make one myself, I got half way through and life got in the way, that was 6 months ago, it's in the basement somewhere. if you find a source please let me know.

Thats funny

Quote Originally Posted by Big commander View Post
    Please reread the OP. No one is making such a claim. The Original Poster simply stated he wanted one on his rifle.
    Please reread the OP before attacking a premise which has not been made.
    How many psi in a CUP?

Not many psi in a cup for sanitary reasons.
    Good luck!

will welding the handle on the bolt body make it brittle? or do you have to reharden the body?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd rather be right than politically correct

Obama loves america like OJ loved Nicole

looking for PU scope #b07850,and PEM #b27948, i have its rifle, also looking for a 1896ish dated sestroryetsk barrel

check out the pics of my 1895 winchester russian contract rifle in 762x54 and All remington stamped mosin trainer with 03 bayonet lug, 1927 izhvesk dragoon , instructie 91/30 rifle and others in my albums

Mike Battersby did my "butterknife" bolt handle that I used on my GECO repro.
    Looking for PU scope # Б05115

I was told by an experienced welder once who had done a few to take the bolt apart and thread a long rod into the body to keep it from getting to hot and softening the metal. Just my two cents