Default Yugoslavian M57 safety question

My understanding is that the thumb safeties on these were added for importation reasons. I have been told recently that the Yugo M57s actually originally came with safeties, which I doubt. Looking at them closely the safety sure appears added-after-manufacture. I'd like to be sure, and could use some documentation. "Some guy on the internet told me" doesn't carry much weight with this other person in question.

What's the real deal? Is the thumb safety on the Yugo M57 pistol original to its manufacture? If not, who added it -- Zastava, the exporter, the importer, someone else?

Does someone have a picture of an M57 without an added safety?

Thanks in advance!

I do not know what the M-57's had as originally built. But the safety on mine is internally the same as the one on my Soviet TT-33. It was import added before the Chinese weapon ban and looks just like a safety for a Norinco type 54. They have the same internal structure, just a different shaped lever on the outside

Lot better than the ones on the Romanian and Polish Tok's.

Looks too "after-thought" to be original. They sell them in Pakistan without the safety.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Here's the current Zastava M57 user manual:

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/asset...7_M70A_eng.pdf

No safety...

wow, this myth is really gaining momentum on the net......I have seen MANY threads all over about the 'original' yugo safety on the m57.....

Aparently a lot have never heard of jfk, RFK, King, and the 1968 Gun Control Act......

Based on the two I have they were clearly added after the pistols were manufactured by whom is another question. My guess would be by the importer just as with the others. I will say that the safeties are quite well done,

In the 80's there were Yugo Toks sold here with a Slide mounted safety and these were called the Model 70, the M-57 model never had a safety and these were all added for import!

90% of these safeties do have probs of some type or another, cheap installationand most can be fixed by deburring and some filing!

The firm of American Arms in the 1980's marketed the Zastava built 9mm Tokarev with slide mounted safety and called it the TT9mm. Model-70!

Without a doubt, the safeties were added for import to the USA. The "factory installed safety" myth is passed around most likely because the safety that was added to these M57's are by far the best looking and ergonomic of all the tokarevs with added safeties.
    Here is a photo of a first gulf war bring-back M57 without any added safety.

Yes, but where can we find these 9mm barrels?

9mm barrels can be found from time to time on GB. They will be Chinese manufacture. You will also need to modify your magazine to 9mm or face possible malfunctions using a unaltered 7.62 magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by vz58kid View Post
    ...90% of these safeties do have probs of some type or another, cheap installation and most can be fixed by deburring and some filing!...
    Amen, Bro! They look great and work OK, after clean-up! Then there is my Super-12 with real Factory safety, built for the Egyptian Contract (as Tokagypt). Great safety! The M57 really is a fine weapon, once the safety is cleaned up. I particularly like the articulated, full-length guide rod in the M-57. I'm guessing it is why I get better groups with it, plus it is a new pistol.....DesertDave
    Last edited by DesertDave; 12-09-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: edit grammar