Default Dies at Elwood Epps Sporting Goods, Ontario Canada

Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas!

I just wanted to write to let you know that I went for a ride with two hunting partners today to visit Elwood Epps Sporting Goods, located north of Orillia Ontario, a bit over an hour north of Toronto. While browsing around I managed to pick up an old Aimpoint sight just like the ones that I've seen on several Tradeex rifles. I suspect that it came from a rifle that the store ordered from Tradeex and decided to sell seperately. At $30, I figured that it would be nice to top off my 9.3x62 M46AN, which has an unmodified M96 safety. Since the alignment on the holes for the scope mounts was a tad bit off (what was Bubba thinking......there was less than 230 of that varient ever made!), I think that I'll see how she shoots with the Aimpoint before purchasing anything more substantial.

On a note of greater significance to Canadian members of this board, I saw eleven sets of Hornady 9.3x57 dies and three sets of 9.3x62. I recall the 9.3x57 retailing for $59.99 Cdn. One of my friends wanted to pick up 100 cases of unfired Norma 6.5x55, but at around $150 he decided to stick to using his Remington brass for now!

All in all it made for a pleasant drive, and we even saw several Turkeys in a field. No pun intended, but I also picked up a Turk mauser while we were there, but that's for another forum....

Take Care,

Frank

Pelagius,

Maybe your friend can try http://www.bcredneck.com/ for 6.5X55 brass. Dave is selling PPU (Prvi Partizan) components and have good prices. Personally, I don't like Remington and Winchester brass in this particular caliber. You have a good piece with your 46AN.
    Coagula / Solve

Baribal; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baribal

Thanks for the suggestions Baribal. I've used BCredneck.com for a variety of reloading needs such as for my 8x56R Steyr's and 7.5x55 cases for my Swiss Rifles.

He also provided me with 9.3x62 brass (a box of commercial ammo sells for $89 at the closest dealer stocking it, and that probably won't even fit into the shorter M96 action anyway!) and I only wish that I'd stocked up on more of the PP 285gr bullets for my 9.3mm. Since I'll probably only be shooting deer with these rifles in the foreseeable future, the thought of paying over a dollar a bullet for premium designs made to penetrate the collar bones of moose, stray bulls and grizzlies seems a bit less than desirable for my purposes at this time..

I was not too successful in my initial attempts to glass bed my Swedes, though thankfully the info on sites like these at least prevented me from permanently gluing the stocks to the actions and I've since ordered Acraglass Gel for the job, retaining my last bit of the original Acraglass for reinforcing any hairline cracks that remain. The upcoming year promises to be a very busy one at the range, where I'll be sighting in and working up loads for a 6.5, 8mm, 2x9.3x57 and 9.3x62. I plan to be fully familiarized with at least two or three of these rifles and their cartridges in time for deer season next autumn.

Cheers,

Frank