Gunboards Forums banner

Help identifying marble auxiliary cartridge adapters

11K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Tomgraham01 
#1 ·
I have a #151, 169, 170 and 172 marble auxiliary cartridge adapters and would like to know the parent case and the cartridge the were ment to fire.
I was also wondering if they are still safe to use for there intended purpose? They look like they would be hard on firing pins.
Can anyone also give an approximate value?
Thank you in advance.
Jim

#3 ·
No reason for them to be hard on FPs. Not a clue as to value - have tot ake them to a guin show and see what sort of interest they attract, I guess.

No reason at all to deem them unsafe if you have a gun shooting one of the parent rounds and a supply of the pistol rounds needed. I warn you that any auxiliary chamber is slow and a PITA to use to any extent.

#4 ·
I buy them on occasion and have a fair knowledge of their value. Winchester made adapter sell for about 25% higher than Marbles brand simply because its a Winchester. I tried to buy a Marbles adapter in 250 Savage to 25 ACP for several months. I bid up to $45 dollars for the item but didnt meet the sellers reserve. The adapter never sold from what I could tell. Apparently the reserve was well above the going price as I was the only bidder in months. From what I pay for Winchesters @$40-50 each the Marbles will be somewhat lower in value. This is MY observation and buying history only. I am still looking for that 250 Savage to 25 ACP adapter. By the way there are several current manufacters of these adapters and the generally sell for @$20 each new. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
I have always wanted to experement with the 250 Savage to 25 ACP adapter. I have experimented with quite a few adapers over the years and to say the least was quite dissapointed in their performance. Not that the didnt work but that accuracy was not quite minute of cottontail rabbit at 25 yards. The 250 Savage should have worse accuracy because the 25 ACP cartridge has only a .251" diameter bullet while the 250 Savage has a .257"barrel diameter.

#6 ·
I'd think the auxiliary chamber that might work with some degree of satisfaction in a 250 Savage would be a 250 Savage to 25-20. Only advantage i see to .25 ACP i it would probably be pretty quiet and no recoil. Not that my Model 99 in 250 kicks much.

#7 ·
CLYDE, one of the problems with a 25-20 case adapter to a 250 Savage is the fact the 25-20 rim is too large and doesnt leave much area around the rim to get an extractor groove milled into the adapter. This is why most adapter only go to small rimmed cases or rimless. I have an adapter from a 45-70 to a 45 ACP. Just barely passable accuracy to 35 yards.

#8 ·
Hmm - I shopw the 25-20 as having a .408" diameter .065" thick rim, while the rim and head of a .250 are .473" and .468", respectively, nominal. Ought to work, if requiring some fairly precise lathe work. Of course the fact is that none of the adapters really work all that well, if my 45 Colt adapter for my 577-450 Martini is any guide. Minute of pie plate at 25 yards would be about right. Of course the grossly under-sized projectiles in that combination may have something to do with that...

#12 ·
I have always wanted to experement with the 250 Savage to 25 ACP adapter. I have experimented with quite a few adapers over the years and to say the least was quite dissapointed in their performance. Not that the didnt work but that accuracy was not quite minute of cottontail rabbit at 25 yards. The 250 Savage should have worse accuracy because the 25 ACP cartridge has only a .251" diameter bullet while the 250 Savage has a .257"barrel diameter.
Just in case anyone is still interested - from personal experience, accuracy is severely lacking. You can hit the paper at 25 yards, but expect a few key-holes. Might be useful at closer ranges.