Gunboards Forums banner

Husqvarna 33 Roller Conversion

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  NiklasP 
#1 ·
I have a Husqvarna Model 33 rollingblock. The bore is gone but otherwise a nice rifle and what appears to be 9.3x57Rx360. Been thinking of either rebarreling or relining to 30-30 for use as a light weight hunting rifle. Anyone have any experience with these actions? Will it hold the 30-30 or have I passed the limits of its strength?

#4 ·
This is a tiny action, and if you look at the original black powder chamberings for it you'll get an idea of what it might be to do with it. I'm not for the idea of chambering for a too powerful cartridge and downloading it.
It might be perfectly safe for you, but what will happen down the line?

I have a conversion, a #33 originally in 8 or 9 mm that has had the barrel relined with an insert in .22 Hornet. This is a sweet, straight shooting rifle, not only appreciated by me but also by the related youngsters. The only ones that don't like it might be the crows...
As soon as I can squeeze in the needed time, it will receive a suitable scope to further improve it's performance.

Pettson

#8 ·
Sorry, I noticed now my post turned out a bit confusing perhaps...
Of course a .22 Hornet conversion isn't any "safer" than a .30-30 ditto. They are probably both perfectly safe. My point was that we're treading unknown territories here. I don't know of any official tests of this action's strength, so common sense is needed here.
As this is a U.S. design, I would expect that there's more reliable information to be found over there.

Pettson

#6 ·
I have seen a Model 33 factory chambered for the 22 Verling (sp?) which seems to the European version of the hornet. The Verling is not a cartridge that is shown in the Husqvarna book as a chambering for the M33 but with Husqvarna I have found that almost anything could have been special ordered or maybe the gun went back to be rebarreled at some latter date. The Hornet was a improved version of the old Winchester 22 Centerfire but did not become a factory round until long after Husqvarna had stopped production of the M33, does anyone know when the Verling was introduced? I am not sure if the Verling and the Hornet operate at different pressures but AMMOe is correct in that the Hornet operates at higher pressures than the 30-30, 47,000cup for the Hornet and 42,000 for the 30-30
( http://www.handloads.com/misc/saami.htm )

#7 ·
Pettson- Now you have me thinking of a M33 in the Hornet chambering. What scope do you plan to mount on it? To make it look "right" I think it would need a external adjustment scope like the old Unertl type scope but would like to hear what you are thinking.

#9 ·
The Vierling was introduced, I believe, just a tad earlier than the Hornet. It is little less in performance, but not by much. Both are based on the .22 WCF. It is listed as a standard chambering in the HVA book, but erroneously labeled as 6x36R.

Although being a catalogue chambering, it seems to be a lot less common than the various 8 and 9,3 mm chamberings. At least if judged by the number of .22's I've seen, as compared to the numbers of 8's and 9,3's that have passed through my hands.

The Vierling and the Hornet only differs by case length and original charge, and not by much it seems. I'm not with my books at the moment, so I can't check for actual numbers.

My relined .22 shoots really well with the iron sights. And I am indeed planning to fit it with a vintage scope. I'm looking for a long Unertl, Litschert, Fecker or Lyman external adjustment scope and rings, of 8 to 12 power. Adding to that a strap-on padded leather cheek piece (I'm friendly with a really skilled leathersmith!) would make it a very neat crow and vermin package methinks.

Pettson

#10 ·
Seems to me there is a different consideration than just pressure. The total force on breech block of 22 Hornet is much less than of 30-30. For some years I had 22 Hornet insert barrel for shotgun. Worked great in several shotguns, NONE of which would handle such pressure in a shotshell. Ditto for 30-30 insert barrel in same shotguns.

Niklas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.