Gunboards Forums banner

CZ Bayonets

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  AndyB 
#1 ·
I picked up two CZ marked bayonets recently. Ive got three or four Cz Mausers. One fits my VZ24 and the other fits a 98/22 that I have. The blade length on the one on the left is appx. 11 1/2 inches. The one on the right is about 9 3/4 inches. My question is: What weapons were these particular bayonets manufactured for?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
1. VZ23 short bayonet for VZ98/22 rifle, 9.75 inch blade
2. VZ24 bayonet for VZ24 rifle, 11.75 inch blade
3. VZ23 long bayonet for VZ23 rifle, 15.75 inch blade
4. VZ33 bayonet for VZ33 carbine, 9 inch blade

#2 and #3 were also made in small quantity with blade edge down for export. #3 with blade edge down was made for Iran as VZ98/29 bayonet for the Iranian VZ98/29 long rifle, VZ24 short rifle, VZ30 carbine, and M1949 carbine.

ZB (Zbrojovka Brno) at Brno (and at Povazska Bystrica) made the rifles and bayonets. CZ (Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka) at Uhersky Brod made pistols.

VZ is an abbreviation for model.

So:
VZ24 rifle made by ZB
VZ24 bayonet made by ZB
CZ27 pistol made by CZ
is correct.

#3 ·
Hello,

First one, VZ.24 is for VZ.24. Are there any other markings? They are usually between scales and on the back of pommel. Then we can narrow it down more.

Second, VZ.23 short is for VZ.98/22 and VZ.98/29.

I just read that VZ.23 short with catch extending from pommel (like on VZ.24) was exported to Colombia. From picture it looks like your bayonet has catch on equal plane with the pommel.

Here is a picture of my VZ.23 short, which I now believe was made for Colombia. I also included picture of my others VZ.23 short for comparison.
View attachment 380215 View attachment 380216

Your bayonets will not fit VZ.33 carbine.

Little spelling correction-Považská Bystrica.

Regards Rusnak

#7 ·
Andy,

I found number of wrong statements in Moudry book, but his claim about Colombian Vz.23 short bayonets sounded believable. Look at picture-scan of page from his book.
View attachment 381676
So, I guess that my bayonet is of 2nd Turkish contract, which included newly made rifles and bayonets, as opposed to 1st one which was a military surplus?

Thank you

Rusnak

#8 ·
Already in text are many errors firstly the bayonet was not destined for Vz.23 rifle, secondly it was not destined for M98/29 rifle too, the M12 rifle for Colombia was not reported in production of Zbrojovka Brno, so this is a wrong info too.

#10 ·
Steyr M1912 Colombian rifle with Steyr bayonet

Attachments

#12 ·
So far as I know - and I sure don't know everything - the CS made "Mexican" rifles were the VZ98/22. They were used by the CS army, then sold to Turkey and China. I do not know of any being sold to Colombia. Once again it looks like a case of the books being wrong.

And yes, my M1912 rifle is Steyr made.

The serial number on your VZ23 bayonet does not have a prefix. That suggests it was serialed to an early VZ98/22 rifle with a lange rear sight. The rifle would have been first used by the CS army, then sold to Turkey.

#13 ·
There is no report of any M12 rifles, which is a short M12 rifle? I believe its a normal Vz.24 rifle in 7mm caliber that were delivered to Colombia.
The piece pictured here is not early as there is no czechoslovak acceptance. the prefix letter there must be not. same as the number is high for Colombian contract.

#14 ·
Ok, you persuaded me. I did not realized high serial number on my bayonets. So, now I am going to label is as 2nd Turkish Contract.

How about this bayonet. It appears to be VZ.23 short made utilizing A-H blade, no CSR proof marks, no serial number, and extending safety catch. For which country was this one made.
View attachment 382011 View attachment 382012 View attachment 382013
I already briefly discussed this one with Andy, but now I am not sure what it is exactly.

Please bear with me, I am trying finalize my VZ.23 short collection.

Rusnak

#16 ·
Thank you. So here is my final "VZ.23" short collection, at lest for now.

1. made for CSR
View attachment 382027
2. made for CSR and exported to Turkey as a surplus in 1st contract
View attachment 382028
3. made by CSR and exported to Turkey as 2nd contract
View attachment 382029
4. made for CSR and exported to Turkey as a surplus in 1st contract, this bayonet has repaired scales.
[I CANNOT FIND PICTURE OF THIS ONE]
5. made for CSR and exported to Turkey as a surplus in 1st contract, this bayonet was reworked to fit Turkish M35.
View attachment 382030
6. Turkish rework of A-H M95 to fit CSR rifle
View attachment 382031

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.