Gunboards Forums banner

Jc higgins revolver value

25K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  dogngun2 
#1 ·
I inherited a J C HIGGINS 9 shot revolver some time ago. Its a model 88 and has plastic type grips and a grey parkerized finish on the frame and blued 2" barrel and cylinder. Im just curious as to who actually made it and age and value. Its a .22 cal.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Up front I must confess that I know nothing about these, but my first thought when I saw the pictures was "West Germany"

#6 ·
Well, it is a 9-shot 22, and could be an H&R in origin (It looks a bit like an H&R Model 929). My cross-reference doesn't show a J.C. Higgins (or Seas0 Model 88, but that isn't dispositive - I know it missed some.

If a better description or better lighted photos could be supplied (especially - ALL markings and where found), might b able to do better. Oh - is it a swing-out cylinder?

#7 ·
Well, it is a 9-shot 22, and could be an H&R in origin (It looks a bit like an H&R Model 929). My cross-reference doesn't show a J.C. Higgins (or Seas0 Model 88, but that isn't dispositive - I know it missed some.

If a better description or better lighted photos could be supplied (especially - ALL markings and where found), might b able to do better. Oh - is it a swing-out cylinder?
Hey Clyde, It does have a swing out cylinder that swings to the left side. Also on the grips at the top it has an embossed circle about 3/4" diameter with a crown logo in it at the top and J.C.Higgins in the center of the circle with 88 at bottom of circle. I did try to take pics of it but the plastic grips are so shiny that the logo/emblem wont show up. There is no wear on grips or gun as if it was not fired much.

#9 ·
High Standard made the model 88 up until the early 60's. At the time, Sears owned a minority interest in High Standard and used them to make a lot of their firearms. Like many of these off brand pistols, the best values are seen when the piece comes with the box, manual, sales receipt, etc. Values range from $100-$300 with $300 being for one with all the documentation. There's a 6" model on Gunbroker bid up over $300 right now.

HTH

#15 ·
The subject revolver is a High Standard Sentinel, branded for Sears. It is not an "off brand" but a private brand.

#13 ·
Hi there, Found this interesting I have had my JC Higgins revolver for a very very long time, However it's the Ranger model 9 shot. I have never seen the compact model. Quite honestly The one I have is the only one like it I have seen in a long long time. Mine has more sentimental value than actual value. Use to shot prarie dogs from the bunk house porch with it when I was younger. Carried it in my saddle bags and with me when fishing or checking trap lines. I don't think Sears carried weapons after the mid late 70's if that helps you date it. I think Stevens and or Savage made their long guns and I won't swear Hi Standard made all of their handguns

#14 · (Edited)
Sears long arms were made by a number of makers, including Winchester. Likewise handguns - a number of makers over the years. Including High Standard. Blue Book has a cross-reference to store brands - incomplete, but helpful. Originated, I think, wih Numrich.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.