Gunboards Forums banner

New guy with Kar 98 ?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Maximus Slade 
#1 ·
Hello and thanks for your advice. I just bought a Kar 98 sporter from a friend that owned a pawn shop. The barrel has been heated up and bent by my friend over a disagreement with the previous owner. I dont know much about Mausers but I have built many FALs.
I disassembled the rifle and removed the barrel. Barrel has no markings and bore is smaller tha .30 cal. Not sure of the caliber. Reciever was drilled and tapped with a redfield scope base. When I removed the base the reciever was marked erfurt 1916 with a crown above it. Top of the reciever next to the barrel has a small 7,9 stamp. Numbers match on the parts but it looks like someone changed the safety and it is stamped, mark2 . The bolt handle has been reshaped into a cone instead of a ball. The stock is a walnut sporter that has been opened up and epoxy or resin bedded. Trigger feels stock.
Someone in the past spent some time and money to accurize this rifle. Given the work that has been put into it and the fact that the reciever has been tapped for a scope base I would like to rebarrel in .308 and make it a accurate shooter. From what I have read this is the small contour reciever. What calibers are safe for this reciever? I also assume the bolt head will have to be changed to the corrusponding caliber? Any help or advice would be great.

#4 ·
Yes, the Kar 98 AZ has a large ring barrel despite the small ring diameter. Just keep in mind that you dont want to get consused by the '96 actions or Turks which are indeed small ring thread Mausers.

As for safe calibers, that particular receiver was designed for a full powered 8x57mm round, which according to wiki is has a chamber pressure of 56,000 psi. With that pressure range, that would let you use any rifle round up to most of what I would call 'medium rounds.' So yeah, 30.06, 8mm mauser, 7mm mauser, 308 win, or smaller. I personally wouldnt go bigger than those rounds in the Kar receiver.

I personally have a polish kar 98 receiver that has plans of shooting the 6.5mm Swede. Should be a sweet rifle.

#8 ·
If I were dressing it in military dress, i'd definately go military contour, but this will be a sporter, so I am thinking a heavier contour.

Although I had the great idea today while driving of building match grade k98s in military dress (and sell them as such, i dont wanna be a mitchell...;) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.