Thread: 1931 Dated SA Marked Nagant

Default 1931 Dated SA Marked Nagant

1931 dated SA marked Nagant
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03887Ac.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	383943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03891Ac.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	383944
    I picked this one up at the last Tulsa show. It is a nice, still matched, 1931 dated revolver. It has been re-finnished and the blue is no longer blue, but it is a dipped black finnish typical of Nagants captured and used by the Finns after the mid 1930s. I have see this finnish on early guns that have been Finnish property during the 1930s and 40s (not all of which were SA marked). This one has had the left side ground a bit during refinnish and the original Tula star and date is a bit thin.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03907Bc.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	224.1 KB 
ID:	383945
    (No, your eyes aren't bad, the guy putting the SA stamp on stuttered!)
    Joe
    Last edited by jleiper; 12-22-2010 at 07:31 PM.
    "Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything." William of Ockham (1285-1349)

Nice!
    Next SHOOT?

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=11325

Join the Southern Wisconsin, Northern Illinois target shooters.

Very nice
    "Ole viisaasti höperö!" sanoi vääpeli Ryhmy
    Commissar Natalia Vengrovska Fan Club Life Member :-)
    Tired of the Police ? Try calling a Crackhead next time you need help
    ALWAYS looking for anything from Sortavala and Viipuri CG districts
    Looking for Norwegian Mauser K98F1 HÆR 43408 - the first military rifle I was issued

Very nice! I just ordered a Nagant from J&G. I didn't know there were Finnish ones out there--I might have held out and looked for one.

Sorry to be so picky, but "finish" with one n is stuff you put on a gun to protect the metal and/or wood. If it's got two n's, it's from Finland. So "Finnish finish" is that beeswax-and-pine-tar stuff they put on M39 Mosins...

Quote Originally Posted by toivo View Post
    Very nice! I just ordered a Nagant from J&G. I didn't know there were Finnish ones out there--I might have held out and looked for one.

Sorry to be so picky, but "finish" with one n is stuff you put on a gun to protect the metal and/or wood. If it's got two n's, it's from Finland. So "Finnish finish" is that beeswax-and-pine-tar stuff they put on M39 Mosins...
    No, Finnish finish is the dipped black they used on all of the Nagants they re-finnished! There were no misspellings in the post - just bad puns.
    Seriously, it was very common for the Finns to resurface captured revolvers and it was a black dip process like dulite by Dupont. If you spot a pre WWII revolver with a black finish it is very likely that is was in Finnish property at some point.
    Joe
    "Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything." William of Ockham (1285-1349)

BB91 is online now Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords

Cool and something I'm looking to add to my collection, congrats on your find, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by jleiper View Post
    No, Finnish finish is the dipped black they used on all of the Nagants they re-finnished! There were no misspellings in the post - just bad puns.
    Oops--I guess the joke's on me!

How rare are the Finnish Nagants? I'd like to find one some day.
    Last edited by toivo; 12-23-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: punctuation

They aren't common, and bring an extra $150-200 above a similar revolver w/o the mark. I've owned 9 or 10 of them and always buy them when I see them because they are part of the history of the revolver and I know Finn collectors want them.
    Joe

Yeah, I need one of these someday.
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.