Gunboards Forums banner

1931 Dated SA Marked Nagant

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  bones92 
#1 · (Edited)
1931 dated SA marked Nagant
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

I picked this one up at the last Tulsa show. It is a nice, still matched, 1931 dated revolver. It has been re-finnished and the blue is no longer blue, but it is a dipped black finnish typical of Nagants captured and used by the Finns after the mid 1930s. I have see this finnish on early guns that have been Finnish property during the 1930s and 40s (not all of which were SA marked). This one has had the left side ground a bit during refinnish and the original Tula star and date is a bit thin.
Blue Footwear Shoe Metal

(No, your eyes aren't bad, the guy putting the SA stamp on stuttered!)
Joe

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice

#4 ·
Very nice! I just ordered a Nagant from J&G. I didn't know there were Finnish ones out there--I might have held out and looked for one.

Sorry to be so picky, but "finish" with one n is stuff you put on a gun to protect the metal and/or wood. If it's got two n's, it's from Finland. So "Finnish finish" is that beeswax-and-pine-tar stuff they put on M39 Mosins... ;)

#5 ·
No, Finnish finish is the dipped black they used on all of the Nagants they re-finnished! There were no misspellings in the post - just bad puns.
Seriously, it was very common for the Finns to resurface captured revolvers and it was a black dip process like dulite by Dupont. If you spot a pre WWII revolver with a black finish it is very likely that is was in Finnish property at some point.
Joe

#8 ·
They aren't common, and bring an extra $150-200 above a similar revolver w/o the mark. I've owned 9 or 10 of them and always buy them when I see them because they are part of the history of the revolver and I know Finn collectors want them.
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.