Default Stevens 311a "Coach Gun"

I just picked up a Stevens 311a 12 gauge (2 3/4inch) double barrel shot gun. It has an 18 inch barrel. No serial number (so its pre-'68) and as far as I can tell it was in the "J" series, putting it as having been made in the 50's.

Its in fair condition. The metal shows some honest ware, but the wood is pretty well immaculate. There is a decent sized chunk of the hard rubber buttplate missing, but that is really the only major condition issue. Also, the bore is 100% okay.

I've fired it, and its perfectly functional. The open/ close is pretty rough, probably the roughest I've ever experienced on a side-by-side. Is this normal, or does it just need some lube? It really doesn't impair function and honestly, I kinda like it.

I payed $250 for it (talked down from $300. My local shop is usually high... but how bad did I do? Honestly... after having shot it today... I would have easily payed twice that without regret.

What else can you tell me?

Thanks!

PS- I'll post pictures whenever I can... not sure when that will be though...

with barrels cut to 18 fair price for a coach gun.
    lube the hing pin, and break down leaver and under lug on barrel.
    it could have been carried, accounts for stored visible ware, but not shot a lot tight when new.
    GOD<><SAVE THE CONSTITUTION / STATES RIGHTS><>NRA

I agree with DK. You paid a fair price, enjoy. Welcome to gunboards. Looking forward to the pictures.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

If you paid $250 and would have

paid $500 you did extremely well.

If youre happy price is meaningless.

Fiveshot

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Thanks guys. I'll try and get some pictures up after Christmas.

Were these purely sporting guns, or did law enforcement/ security guards use them too?
    Last edited by ConorVictor; 12-24-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    I like guns...

the real 311 18" factory guns are marked 311R

Quote Originally Posted by mr44 View Post
    the real 311 18" factory guns are marked 311R
    ah... This was a well done cut that doesn't appear to affect safety... so... not to concerned.

Thanks for the info though.
    I like guns...

Those are good shotguns.
    I have a springfield 311 20 gauge.
    It took me 18 years to find the correct parts to repair it. I lucked out finding an estate gun with all the parts I needed. Mine is a 30's production with no model number on it.
    Savage, Springfield, stevens, sears, fox and more had these all stamped with their names on them. Somewhere in the late 49 or so they changed the front handguard and some of the barrel lock up. Its just enough where the parts wont interchange. I found a barrel from a 50's era gun and it wouldnt fit mine. I think they changed again in the late fifties to early sixties and started offering a plastic furniture model.
    These shotguns work better than a new one.
    You can still buy parts from numeric for the 12-16 gauges. They dont list anything being different but I tried buying parts for my 20 gauge and everything was for the bigger frame's
    Mine is one of the old ones with what I call the duck bill handguard.