Gunboards Forums banner

USPS Priority Mail Package rant

5K views 49 replies 33 participants last post by  hk91666 
#1 · (Edited)
I opted to have a K98 stock shipped via USPS priority mail based on the firm offer of "guaranteed" 3-4 day delivery, e tracking and delivery confirmation. Item posted on tracking site as shipped on 12/13/10 and expected delivery NLT 12/15/10. They could not locate the pakage nor did they update the tracking site until AFTER it was delivered on 12/20/10. Yeah its Xmas and Yeah its not one of their standard box sizes but when they take your money based on the "guarantees" they freely make, its time to rethink mailing stuff.

Heres their flimsy response:

"I regret learning of the inconvenience you have experienced. Track and confirm states your item was delivered on 12/20/2010.

We work very hard to offer good service to our customers, and it is genuinely disappointing to hear about instances when we simply do not meet your needs or achieve our service standards. Our operating standard for Priority Mail is 2-3 days, measured from Post Office™ to Post Office™. Due to the economical and competitive rates of Priority Mail, we do not provide a guarantee like our Express Mail service, nor can we track shipments as they move through our network. The delivery period you reported is certainly beyond our service standard, and I apologize for the inconvenience you incurred as a result.

The Postal Service™ monitors feedback from customers like yourself, identifying patterns that permit us to take corrective measures in certain areas.

Despite your obvious disappointment with this mailing, we assure you it does not reflect our usual service and hope you permit us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this matter may have caused you.

Diane Heard"

Consider this hassle before you choose USPS for your shipping needs.

After reading all the response I want to make some points clear.

When i questioned USPS employees they flat guaranteed me it would be delivered within the time promised and extolled the virtues of their tracking services. Shoulda known then it was BS and now know better. The total inability to locate the item exacerbated my fear that it had been lost.

This is Not about veterans/employees. Hey I'm a vietnam vet and an ex gov't drone. (Not USPS) The USPS employees didn't act inheirently lazy or stupid when they first started. They become that way due to the system under which they must work. One cure is to demand all or part of your money back when they fail to deliver!! I am, and will continue to do so. Failure to provide goods or services is theft in my mind. It's sad that asking for a refund from them is probably tantamount to committing a terrorist act.

See less See more
#9 ·
Same experience - they only say it will be delivered on or about and the tracking only shows delivery. Considering the cost for priority as companed to UPS, I have no complaints.

#3 ·
I have used USPS and it is cheaper than UPS and my shipments are less damaged. Although UPS is better at point to point tracking their people are gorillas when it come to rifle shipments. I had one dropped and cracked going to Virginia, could not collect because dealer threw away the packaging material. I also received one from Oregon, UPS it looked as if it was the ball in a soccer (football) game.
I would rather save money and wait a little than suffer what this picture shows. Luckily my VZ.24 E lion 37 was okay it might not have been. Mriddick hit on what the tracking is and isn't.

Attachments

#19 ·
I have used USPS and it is cheaper than UPS and my shipments are less damaged. Although UPS is better at point to point tracking their people are gorillas when it come to rifle shipments. I had one dropped and cracked going to Virginia, could not collect because dealer threw away the packaging material. I also received one from Oregon, UPS it looked as if it was the ball in a soccer (football) game.
I would rather save money and wait a little than suffer what this picture shows. Luckily my VZ.24 E lion 37 was okay it might not have been. Mriddick hit on what the tracking is and isn't.
Almost every UPS delivery that I have received, looks just like yours.....crushed and damaged. I've used USPS hundreds of times without a problem. "knock on wood"

#5 ·
I really know what ya mean..........

I have a dozen or so boxes in 'Postal Limbo' as I write.......about 10 of them were Aamazon buys BEFORE Thanksgiving........

Being beyond the end of the road, this is not unusal, but its getting worse........A 20lb box of Salami's left Washington on Nov 27, arrived in Anchorage on the 29th and left Anch for Kotz on the 14Th(!!!!) and still is at our Postal Hub, Kotzebue.......lotsa small stuff for the kids out there still....

The wife does temperary duties with the post office in our 10 villages,as a Post Master relief, as most are one woman operations, she also helps out in Kotz when they need, and in need they are, as they have 2 workers when 4 at least are needed........Its a stressfull fast paced job as it is when fully staff'd.

The biggest problem is that the Post only pays 10-12$ an hour, and when gas/heating oil is 7.85$ a gallon and the local stores pay boxboys 15$ an hour to start........

#7 · (Edited)
I just got a small package sent to me via first class mail on 12/15; it arrived 12/22. It was mailed from a large city only 40 miles away! Seven days to go 40 miles...
Gotta love the USPS.

#8 ·
I blame the union and management! Proud to be a non union postal worker.You should read the contracts between union and management that usps has been ignorant enough to agree to, it is a wonder the system works at all.Hope all your packages and letters arrive intact and in a reasonable amount of time.I am waiting on one myself, hmmm

#12 ·
My best USPO story was a SKS M I sold to a guy, he sent me a MO that never came, took about 2 months to straighten that out (wait a month to cancel to the MO, issue a new one, etc...) but I got my money and he got his rifle in the end. 3 years later I get the original MO in the mail, it took several minute before I figured out what was what.

#14 ·
I am sorry, this is a 'rant' about a package that took a week at Christmas time, and the USPS 'sucks' because of it?

I personally am amazed that I can put out a package, they come to my house, pick it up, it goes 2500 miles to say Utah and is delivered to my friends front door for $15 or less...

Ed

#15 ·
I agree Ed, but it ain't gonna be around much longer I think, we lost 8.5 billon this year and are on track to lose that much or more next year.Unless of course the taxpayers would like to agree to another mega billion dollar bailout for usps, the world has changed and usps is unable or unwilling to change their business model to adapt.

Priority is still a good deal versus the others, I use it all the time, tracking and delivery confirmation is a waste of money.If it is real important send it express, they do take that serious.

#17 · (Edited)
Ya, USPS really sucks and should be privatized ASAP to save all the taxpayers some money. They don't track anything, you only get a pick-up time and delivery time--nothing in between. I think the monetary pressure will be on soon to really fix the USPS.

I think every lazy retired ex-military person likes to work there for the ease of no performance required. My wife works there, and we often have discussions on just how ineffecient USPS is. When an unskilled worker can earn $80 an hour, more than a darn nurse or docter, then something is wrong. The regulars, the term USPS uses for full time workers, get paid anyway, so they often times simply go home and still collect a pay check. My wife acutally works her butt off, which is the reason she can't get along with any of the other lazy people at the Post Office. They hate the fact that she actually works! They have tried to fire her twice...and she is their best worker! I argue with her, but I think the PO should avoid hiring retired vets, or at least limit the percentage of those hired. For example, at the PO she works at, 100% of the workers are retired vets, and the same holds true for the two POs on post here. Sometimes you just need to bring in fresh workers and fresh ideas, not a lazy indoctrinated government worker.

To avoid the 1hr wait at the PO for a MO, I just send cash when buying off of the trader....

#20 ·
Ya, USPS really sucks and should be privatized ASAP to save all the taxpayers some money. They don't track anything, you only get a pick-up time and delivery time--nothing in between. I think the monetary pressure will be on soon to really fix the USPS.

I think every lazy retired ex-military person likes to work there for the ease of no performance required. My wife works there, and we often have discussions on just how ineffecient USPS is. When an unskilled worker can earn $80 an hour, more than a darn nurse or docter, then something is wrong. The regulars, the term USPS uses for full time workers, get paid anyway, so they often times simply go home and still collect a pay check. My wife acutally works her butt off, which is the reason she can't get along with any of the other lazy people at the Post Office. They hate the fact that she actually works! They have tried to fire her twice...and she is their best worker! I argue with her, but I think the PO should avoid hiring retired vets, or at list limit the percentage of those hired. For example, at the PO she works at, 100% of the workers are retired vets, and the same holds true for the two POs on post here. Sometimes you just need to bring in fresh workers and fresh ideas, not a lazy indoctrinated government worker.

To avoid the 1hr wait at the PO for a MO, I just send cash when buying off of the trader....
I think you need to get your facts straight. First, the Post Office is not funded by taxpayer dollars it is funded by the sales of their products and services ie stamps, priority mail etc.. Like any business especially as large as the PO you are going to have good days & bad days. You also have good employees and bad employees. Same goes for managers and supervisors you have good and bad management. Personally, I do not understand your rant on retired vets. Vets are hired because of their service to their country. Have you ever served in the military?? You make reference to being on Post. Something really has soured your outlook not only on the Postal Service but on Vets. I think it is dangerous to base assumptions on the limited knowledge you seem to have on Vets & the Post Office. I have 33 years for retirement in the military and am still logging years. I have been a commissioned Officer since 1986, spent 3 years RA at Bragg, served in Afghanistan for a year supporting OEF and possibly gearing up for another mission in Iraq. Many of these retired vets you speak of have seen action in the many conflicts this country has faced. The World Wars, alot of PO Workers now are Vietnam or later conflict vets with honorable & meritorious service. I think they have paid their dues and deserve their veteran preference. I have worked at the Post Office since 1984. Yes the PO is going through some difficult times, but has always pulled through in the past. Is privitization the answer?? That is a good question and one that is likely to go unanswered unless Congress acts on it. These are tough times for everyone economically. The big picture is: there are a lot of powerful interest groups in Washington figthing on both sides of the fence and they are the groups that will be making the important decisions that Congress will act on. Lets all hope that the right decisions are made for the welfare of the country.

#22 ·
++ 1 on what FF said . I'll add that living in a small town and knowing most of the postal workers dosent hurt , several I know are vets and know i'm a vet so we have a bond right there . When I do have to go to the PO to pick up a package due to my work schedule the young lady who usually waits on me will say with a grin , jeez Lee , another rifle ? My regular USPS delivery guy is also a vet and knows if im out of town , he'll put my package in my truck and lock the door as does my UPS delivery guy . Bottom line is ,99% of it I believe is the way YOU treat your USPS ,UPS people . I know they have a tough job and I always treat them as I want to be treated . Golden rule anyone ? Merry Christmas to all:)

#23 ·
Knock on wood!!..Hundreds of packages (500+)Priority and only one Enfield buttplate went lost..Several dozens of ammo shipments and 30++ rifles through UPS no complaints from anyone...Also I have received more from both than sent I'm sure and not one problem that I can remember that wasnt due to poor packing by the seller..I realize I have been more fortunate than most or even more than I would/could/should expect

There never was/is a guarantee of 2-3 days but they do very well by me and its not Magic that teleports your special package accross the country..accidents on the road and weather..high volume times like Mothers day or Chrismas etc etc will naturaly occur from time to time

Having said that..for the life of me I cannot understand how an organization who has, as a customer; every house and building along with its ocupants in the entire country.. can Not turn a proffit..yes something smells like old french fries

#25 ·
USPS Priority Mail supposedly has less damage than the other shippers. But my only significant damage in shipping and receiving has been Priority Mail. When I used to use Parcel Post it was pretty much a disaster.
The USPS does have a higher loss rate than other carriers - packages simply disappearing, including a couple of mine - and I'm not sure if this holds true for priority mail or not. I've noted a fair number of cases of theft by mail carriers recently and the punishment isn't very severe. Both UPS and Fedex pay relatively well and I suspect that keeps their people honest.

And BTW, the "Tracking" of Priority Mail is a fraud. Its really only a delivery notice.

#36 ·
Thanks for asking. My whole point is that when i questioned USPS employees they flat guaranteed me it would be delivered within the time promised and extolled the virtues of their tracking services. Shoulda known then it was BS and now know better. The total inability to locate the item exacerbated my fear that it had been lost.

Hey I'm a vietnam vet and an ex gov't drone. The USPS employees aren't inheirently lazy or stupid. They become that way due to the system under which they must work. One cure is to demand all or part of your money back when they fail to deliver!! I am, and will continue to do so. Failure to provide goods or services is theft in my mind. It's sad that asking for a refund from them is probably tantamount to committing a terrorist act.

#27 · (Edited)
There seems to be an assumption that all serving Soldiers and vets are of the highest of caliber. Yes, I admit I have no facts: Out of a company of 277, which I just took over with instructions to 'clean it up' as I did the last company, 44 are overweight--and that doesn't include those that have not been weighed or taped yet becuase they are hiding, only 67 have a APRT on record, 11 MEBs hanging around getting paid, and there are another 11 chapter cases for various reasons sitting on my desk, one in jail for murder, one more in jail for murder and arson, etc, etc. This doesn't onclude the stupid stuff I get phone calls on daily--yes, daily, even on Christmas--such as I beat my wife, I got arrested trying to rob the corner store with a saber, I shot my ownself in the foot with my shotgun, I haven't paid my bills and have no electricity, etc. etc.....and all the waivers that allowed some to enter the service over the last decade--waivers for felonies, education, or lack thereof, sex offenders, etc. etc...

The good news is that over the holidays I am working on chapter packets to arrive with a vengence come the new year; after all, it is time to clean up. This doesn't include the ART 15s that are also coming....

Over the course of the last six to eight years we have been able to fill the ranks with an all volunteer force in a time of war. I always thank all of them for their service, whether it be two years or twenty; however, not all of them are created equal. When the Chief of Staff and SMA tell you to get these guys out of the Army now, then there is an indication that all are not created equal. Once again, I have no facts, but we in the Army are sitting at 485,000, but only authorized 424,000, overstrenght and being pushed to cut the fat sooner than later. Part of the cut will come from reducing the CABs down from 45 to 43, which has already happened.

Yes, I am that guy. The guy that will tell a parent or spouse the truth about their serving member when need be. For example: Ma'am, your kid is a dud, he is lazy, has two article 15s, is about as smart as rock, and needs to look for employment elsewhere.

Yes, there are some great vets out there and we all appreciate their service, but not all are created equal. Many are already referring the current military to that of the post Viet-Nam era, though I think there are too few parrallels at this point.

Ok, I am done.

...now off to argue with the wife about her job at the PO....

#29 ·
.... Out of a company of 277, which I just took over with instructions to 'clean it up' as I did the last company... (interesting thing to hear)
...now off to argue with the wife about her job at the PO....
Uh, okay, Merry Christmas to you...

I guess in the 20 years and a month I served and retired from the army, I never was in a company with such problems.... Sounds like the pit of hell reserve or guard (no offense to them, most serve with distinction), if active duty, my gawd it must be in WA DC ;)

I personally find most vets as good hard working guys, and yes, there are many folks who like to sham out, civilian or military....

If 'we' in the army are so overstrength then I wonder why my son is heading to Afghan for a 3rd combat tour? I'd be a lot happier if senator so and so's kid was required to serve their country....

Merry Christmas and please don't spend it thinking of ways to kick some kid out of the service. I thought you were supposed to work with them, its called mentoring and counseling...

Ed

#28 ·
Short and sweet...priority mail is not guaranteed...the USPS says that such mail USUALLY arrives in 2-3 days.

#30 ·
While I agree USPS service does leave a lot to be desired I have an instance where it was super, Bought a MN from a forum member, mailed a USPS M/O from Cinti, Ohio to a little town in Montana, (not in the middle of no where but you could see it from there ) on a Monday, the seller got it early Wednesday and shipped my rifle that afternoon. Got it at my house just west of Cinti that Friday afternoon, :clap: Couldn't believe it

#32 ·
Every platoon I took over as a PSG was ate up, overweights, half strength, half the vehicles deadlined and goin to the field in a week.I took it as a leadership challenge, someone thought I could turn things around and with the help of my junior NCO's and the troops themselves we always made it happen.

I think someone put a lot of confidence in you knowing you could turn that company around, embrace the suck and make it happen,It can be more rewarding than you know.Lots of those low performers and turds can be turned around with good leadership and motivation.

As to the USPS I work there so have my own axes to grind that I probably should not do in public as I really don't want to offend fellow gunboarders who are also part of the big machine.There are some great folks at USPS and some turds, civilian as well as ex military.I think you would find this in any company this size.

I use USPS priority as the packages are hand sorted for the most part, I would not recommend parcel post as they are machine sorted and lowest priority.

#33 ·
No problems so far, and that with many packages and parcels sent and received.

I am actually a big fan of the Flat Rate Priority Mail program, and have always been happy with the results. I sent three large FRPM packages to an Army SF unit in Afghanistan last Christmas, and everything arrived safe, intact, tasty and usable.

Pat

#34 ·
I've had a lot of luck with USPS over the years, but the last six months or so, I have noticed their service has taken a significant nosedive.

Stuff like one attempt at delivery, no notice left, and no re-attempt made at delivery, even though the tracking from Amazon said they would. Calling the Post Office caused a LOT of confusion, but they eventually found my package. When I went down to retrieve it, they got confused all over again.

A LOT of stuff ordered in November this year, especially from Amazon, has taken FOREVER to arrive or simply vanished for some friends of mine.

A Co-worker of mine had almost the same experience as I first described.

I've seen a LOT of griping on gun boards about USPS deliveries this season.

I think I'm going to give them some time to get their ship righted before using them again.

#35 ·
maybe i have just been lucky,but i have probably mailed well over 100 items over the last 3-4 years or so. only one arrived damaged (destroyed). a boxed stock looking like it got run over by a fork lift. some moron,who wasn't even involved in the deal, here even posted a "where's the bubble wrap" as if that would make it forklift proof. with the help of local PO staff i eventually got my $ back and could work things out with the buyer. it was a stock that i think lee finally fixed. for me ups here doesn't seem to care about this kind of business. none of their contract places will take guns or ammo and their ship center opens @ 1600 about 40+ miles away thru heavy traffic both ways. no beef with their service when i have to use them or the delivery guys-usually very helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.