Gunboards Forums banner

what grade steel is a mosin bolt made of?

8K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  pacomdiver 
#1 · (Edited)
im building on of the TG heavy barreled mosins and need to modify the bolt handle, what grade steel is the bolt made of? my bolt attracts a magnet pretty strongly, so i dont think its stainless but more like hardened steel

#4 ·
Great project. Please laminate some birch together for that, or at least some cherry if you can't find birch. But don't use pine!

#5 ·
pics removed due to flaming replys by newbee asshats, dont like the way im doing it, get off your lazy ass and make one yourself or STFU.

#6 ·
about the stock, when i lst saw it i was like, omg he did a wonderful job. it is hard comming up with a stock that will pull of the heavy heavy barrel with inletting and all. you just can't cut it with a old mosin stock sand papered a little bit and call it good. never never. nothing good ever came out of impromptu military sporter stock. he did a great job. just one sugestion. if you havent already which you mayhave done already but i don't remember i would probably put where your action screws go down into the stock i would put metal sleeves so the screws arn't directly pushing against the stock when it recoils, that although is a suggestion from someone that has ever made a stock in his life but your doing a awsome job with it

#8 ·
i already planned to do it. i pulled a set of pillars out of a spare remington stock i had laying around and am gonna modify them to fit . that was one of the projects for today and also doing some final wood prep and getting the action section ready for bedding. im also gonna start machining a scope mount for it today as long as i can find my spec sheet for the picatinny rail

#9 ·
colonel,
i dont appreciate getting flamed by an ******* that uses his FIRST post ever to throw shit at me because you dont think i should do MY project MY way

#12 ·
just an unemployed commercial diver waiting for the next job to come along, gotta do something to occupy my free time.im a closet gunsmith, My son and I have been competeing in long range sniper competitions for the last 3 years and I did all the custom work on all 4 of our LR rifles except setting the barrel back and rechambering on my rem 700 308 after i first got it and built some rifles and modified quite a few. for the next competition, im gonna use my 300wm as the range is gonna be out to 800 yards and there are some good crosswinds there

#15 ·
OD,
i own my own company, but dont know if its gonna survive next year due to the economy, i barely made it this year. ive been doing some work for another guy to pay the bills but thats dried up

most of my competitions are in Kenly NC and they also have a new site at Camp Butner,NC national guard base which is a 1000 yard range with automatic target pits and a huge automated flip up pistol range . me and my sons 308's did good at the last few but they were only out to 600 yards, my sons first sniper shoot (he just turned 16 and was the youngest shooter to ever compete there) he finished 18 out of 22 guys with a rem 700 223. the old guys couldnt believe my son hit a coldbore shot at 600 yards on a 9" steel plate after most of the guys missed. i really like the kenly shoots as more than half to field is either current duty snipers or former snipers. the guy that puts it on, did 2 tours in Iraq and a tour in Afghanastan. so he always throws shots in that test the limits of your abilities. a prime example, was a line of sight shot in the last shoot. you had to take a shot at a target that when in firing position, you cant see due to a slight rise in the field and rows of sweet potatoes. you range the target from the top of the shooting station with your scope (you have 15 seconds to range the target, and electronic rangefinders arent allowed), than get down in shooting position. there are 2 human shaped targets, a high one that is smaller (10" x17") and a lower full size torso target(17"x25") to simulate a hidden enemy. you have 15 seconds to setup for the shot (adjust for range, wind and offset ) and take the shot . by the way, the range was about 515 yards,, at least thats what i ranged it as. the target was 3 mils left and 2 1/2 mils lower than the small target. when in shooting position, the place you are aiming is right in the middle of a sweet potato row. you had to take 3 shots at the target. i was 1 of 2 guys out of 28 that hit 3 for 3 on it.the other guy was 1 of 4 SOTIC guys that came up from FT Bragg to compete and used their issued weapons (2 m24's in 308, a m24 in 300wm and a m110). my son hit 1 of 3, but the wind was kicking up and he didnt want to shoot my rilfe, he said he started with the 223, he was gonna finish with it. but i just finshed a winchester model 70 308 for him to use in the next shoot so he should do better, he finished 16th out of 28th and i finished 2nd, beat out by 1 lousy point by a SOTIC guy

i hope my 300wm makes it a little easier and not have to hold as much wind lead. my 300 is a retired bench gun that originally started life as a remington 1917 (i almost cried when i saw the RE stamp on the reciever) and was converted in the early 80's to a long range gun. the last owner died and i bought it in the summer, it has a hart barrel that is 1" at the muzzle. im still working up a load with the Berger 210gvld's . the load im leaning toward shows promise, im getting quarter size groups at 300 with it, but have to get to my buddys farm to stretch it to 700 and see what it does there. with the other rifles, if it hit a 6" steel swinger at 600, 3 times in a row with it, i used it

#17 ·
the real kicker is its basically a stock rem 700 sps varmint profile 223 1-12 twist with a hogue pillar stock and i found a load that shoots bugholes at 100, i use a 60g vmax bullet (my balistic program says its supersonic to 650 yards) and it shoots well out to 600. i load remington cases with 24.5g of Benchmark powder and cc1 SR primers at a coal 2.29 and it feeds out of the stock internal mag. the muzzle velocity at 20ft is 3050fps

#18 ·
heres a 3 shot side by side group thru his gun, i also shot a .183 3 shot cloverleaf group with the 55g vmax, but it didnt shoot as good as the 60g past 300 yards, so we used 55's for the under 300 stages and the 60's for the 300-600 stages. if anyone doesnt believe the measurement, the little squares are 1/4"

#20 ·
my rifle used to shoot like that when i used factory ammo, what caliber ? ltr, thats the 20" round fluted barrel one right? what load are you using? maybe i can help you adjust it so it will shoot better. have you tried the new 8208xbr powder? that stuff rocks. i admit almost all my experience is with 24-26" barrels for accuracy, but am stepping into the shorter barrel realm, as im getting my sons 223 rebarreled with a 20" 1-9 twist sps tactical barrel so we can throw up to the 77 grain bullets, but will try to get the 70g berger vlds to work as its a really good bullet. i also have a 20" straight profile 1-8 that might bet put on instead, as i have 200+ JLK 90grain vlds left over from when my cousin used to shoot service rifle class with a white oak upper ar15. we used that bullet for the 600 yard slow fire , as it is a single load round. i know its recommened for a 1-6.5 twist but some guys have stabilized them in 1-8's

#21 ·
im using 24.0 gr 4320 with 60 gr vmax bullets.
24.5 gr imr4895 with 55 gr vmax

the 60 gr load i get 3/4 inch groups and my 55 gr gets a little under 3/4 inch.

a guy at the range was like my muther f"n rifle isnt shooting these.i can't stand these shells, you shoot them and left.
they was re man ultramax 50 gr hp. i can shoot a nearly 1 hole group with them. the horndy tap 60 gr has great results to like the ultramax. lol i can live with 3/4 inch groups but im jellous that my skills in open sight m39s and 91-30 mosins i can bust a load out that shoots under a 1 inch and my scoped ltr loads i make are only 3/4.
the vmax bullets are not bowtail. i wonder if thats why

#22 ·
Gun Soldier Military camouflage Shooting range Shooting
heres a pics of a 200 yard shot at the 2, 3, and 4" swingers, i know its not how you would take the shot in real life, but they wouldnt let you be more further back in the room as the room was small and they had a spotter, a guy recording your hit or miss, a guy taking pics and the next shooter on deck

Gun Rifle Soldier Shooting Shooting sport
here he is lined up behind me, this stage was a 4 distance non adjust shot, the RSO tapped your foot and called a color out, you had to find the target and take the shot in less than 10 seconds. the close target was 220ish yards ( 6" circle)and the furthest one was 450ish( 10"circle).

#23 ·
odfair,
i dont think the b/t has anything to do with it as the vmax is an awesome bullet, we used the vmax out to 600 with good results.i think you just havent found the sweet spot yet. i cant get 4320 to shoot good out of anything ive tried it for, supposedly it shoots pretty good out of a 308, but i never had luck with it. since your already using the 60g vmax, try loading up the load i listed, its a reverse engineered load from the hornady 55g vmax load. and make sure you weigh it out to the 1/10th of a grain for consistancy. a 1/10th grain of benchmark and varget powder is 7 kernels of powder. in both my 700 308 and my sons 700 223, a 1/10th of a grain takes a load that shoots under a nickel and it grows to a halfdollar both directions up and down, its a very narrow sweet spot that your looking for.

i would try like 5 or so of the load i sugessted and load 3 rounds of each down to 23.5gns and up to 25grs from there by 2 or 3 /10ths and see which groups the best, then load between the 2 best shooting ones and see if thats the sweet spot the rifle likes. then take that load to the range for the next 2 times at least to see if it groups that same. there will be multiple accuracy nodes as you move up the powder charge, sometimes the highest one isnt the one that works best in your rifle. in my 308, i have an accuracy node at 46grains of varget under a 168g smk in remington cases and cci primers, the load books say "run for cover" with that load but it doesnt have any overpressure symptoms at all, even up to 90 degrees temp,it has a muzzle velocity at 2650fps, but have settled on a 45.6g varget for the 168g berger vlds at 2610fps and due to the lower ballistic coefficient of the vld, i can get another 125 yards before it goes subsonic

#24 ·
for anyone considering the timeny trigger conversion, you have to remove ALOT of stock material, i just did it yesterday to my heavy barrel project in a wood stock. when on the milling machine, i though i was gonna see china thru the bottom and you have to remove about 1/4" of the front of the rear action screw hole to clear the sear that hangs out the back of the trigger, so theres no way to get a good pillar to action lock up and not have it sit on the rear wood cutout, so im gonna bed the rear and around the recoil lug and add it to the barrel channel but am just using the channel to stiffen the stock up some more, as im gonna leave the barrel freefloated

on a side note, the trigger is awesome, very nice crisp break with no creep

#25 ·
Folk like you amaze me. I'm sure a lot of it is practice, so you know how much wood you can take out, ect.. It is also very impressive that you have taught your son so much, he is already an amazing shot. Because of this post I'm going to try some 77 grainers in my AR 15, a lot of folk told me, no way a 1 in 9 twist barrel would stabilize them. Gonna buy a box and give it a shot. Got to go commercial ammo, not a reloader, yet.

#26 ·
yeah alot of practice, shave a little, try the action in the stock, pull it back out and chuck it back in the mill and shave some more. while inleting the stock for the trigger, i mustve had the action in and out of the stock at least 30 times, the PITA was shaving the top front of the rear action hole, i had the action in the stock and couldnt see where it was hitting and could see it had clearance for the main trigger body, so i tapped the action with a rubber mallet and looked for the impression, then i shaved to action screw hole, which took 4 shave and fits

my son has had a gun in his hands since he was 4, and was competing in the Boy Scout shooting contests at 10 years old, at 14,after he got his Eagle Award, i started him long range shooting (was a little hard getting him away form the ak's thou) when he was shooting at 300 yards good, i started him in the 400+ and got the rem 700 223 for him. the drawback was it is a 1-12 twist, so i was limited severely with what i could throw thru it. i tried different ammo with decent results untill i tried some hornady 55g vmax and it shot really good (1/2"-3/4" 3 shot groups), so i tried the load at 300 and it was still shooting moa, so i reverse engineered it and tried the 60g vmax, which shot every bit as good. the next time i was shooting at my buddys farm(we can shoot out to over 700 yards before the hedgerow gets in the way, and can only shoot thru it in winter) and decided to try the 223. it took 3 shots to get it on a 12" steel swinger at 400, then i adjusted a little and hit 5 for 5 on a 6" swinger, so i tried it at 450, 500, 550 and was very impressed when i hit 3 for 3 on a 6" swinger at 600 yards, so he took it to the next sniper shoot i entered and got alot of evil eyes when on the first station, he hit a coldbore 600 yard shot on a 9" swinger after alot of the guys before him missed. and to top it off, he was shooting the smallest caliber rifle there. he lost alot of ground in the standings( finished 18 out of 22 guys) when the wind started kicking up and the bullets started dancing

get a reloading setup as soon as you can, you will be amazed when you find a load your rifle loves. its a great feeling when you look in the spotting scope and see a 1 hole 3 shot group. ive had factory ammo shoot decent but very few shoot better because evey gun is different just like people and your stuck with what someone else thinks might shoot good in most guns. rifling twist, barrel length, stock bedding, trigger pull, scope alignment, sight picture, and barrel harmonics all are a factor in accuracy. 1/10th of a grain of powder (varget is 7 kernels per 1/10th) will take a group that shoots under a nickel and will make it grow to a halfdollar both ways over and under

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.