Thread: Are M-40 9mm's very collectable?

Default Are M-40 9mm's very collectable?

I have inherited a M-40 Husqvarna 9mm handgun. I'm not very familiar with this brand or model. Was told that this was produced during WW11 based on the "d" serial number for sale to Denmark. Looks very much like a Luger, and I know most Lugers are valuable . Are these guns valuable and if so is there much of a market for them? Thanks in advance for any information. Olerebjr

swede is offline Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member

Swedish collectors value the M-40 pistol in their collections . I do not have one , nor have I followed the prices , but I would guess the prices range $400/$700 or more in the USA . One problem was shooting sub-machine gun ammo in these , caused cracks in the frames . The only value here would be the remaining parts . There is a link below showing the cracked frames . That would give you something to go by . M-40's are not common , but they are not valued the same as the Lugers . Watch Gunbroker & Auction Arms & see what they are selling for .

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ighlight=lahti

Here is a list of related topics on this forum :

http://forums.gunboards.com/search.php?searchid=947591
    Last edited by swede; 12-29-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Love to have one, can't afford one!

No not collectible at all.
    Please furnish directions to your house and I will soon be by to dispose of the offending firearm.
    It should take me about 4 days if I drive fast...

Lol, Well with the weather conditions the way they are, ya might wish to take your time and make it a 8 day trip , least wise it will be a safer trip. On a serious note, would the brand being( Husqvarna) make it worth more?

I forgot to mention it has a leather holster with cleaning equipment with it too.

swede is offline Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member

I think there were less Finnish Lahtis made than the Swedish M-40 . So , not as valuable . The accessories are not very expensive .

Now you are just tempting me...
    Although I do appreciate getting all hot and bothered...
    It will keep me warm while shoveling snow...
    Although it is just be our regular snow amount here in Alaska..

I used to have one just like that,,, back when they were considered odd and not worth much. I was confused about the possible cracking from sub-gun ammo at the time.

Actually the 100,000 license built pistols made by Husqvarna may not be as desirable as the original Finnish made Lahti's. It depends on what trips the trigger of the buyer...
    I have a big Husqvarna sticker on my refrigerator... just like most folks I know...

Prior to this weapon , my only connection to Husqvarna was with chain saws. Now they make a good saw in my opinion. Back to the pistol, I haven't noticed any cracks but I haven't shot it either. Thought that if it was valuable I might reduce the value by shooting it.

Around 13,500 Husqvarna license made M/40 pistols went to Denmark and were called Pistol m/40S by the Danes.

" Remember it is really a Finnish design made originally by Valmet in Finland" But the Finnish version is the real collectors item as they only made about 105 of the numbers made by Husqvarna. Plus the 1930s vintage Finnish guns were very well made and finished..

Does it have “Rigspoliti” or "Rplt. S" with a serial number on the right side?
    What letters are stamped on the back of the pistol?
    Are your grip panels black or red/brown?
    Are there any steps behind your front sight blade?
    Does your barrel have a large nut looking area where it meets the frame?

There are some M/40S's out there that have been made from parts...

The handles are black plastic ,The letters HV under a crown on the back. The serial numbers are on the left side and are matching (D xxxxx) .There is a large looking nut made into the part of the barrel where it joins the action (frame). There is not a bullet indicator nor has there been one on the top of the receiver. I don't see any steps behind the front sight. The holster is black and has two extra mags and cleaning rod and looks like a combo tool. I found some information on another sight. Two of the mags are the new style and one was the old style. Thanks Swede and Float Pilot for the previous help. Olerebeljr