Default best foaming bore cleaner??

any reccomendations???-i decided to try one out one a pretty dark bore,looking for carbon fouling more than copper fouling...thanks folks-scott

I have used Wipe-Out with great results. I did a bunch of research before buying and the general consensus between top shooters was that this one was the best out of Foaming cleaners. I have used it quite a bit and it does work nice if you have a bunch of time to clean... it does a good job, gets out all types of fouling. But if you have a really badly fouled barrel brush foam cycles seem to work best for me.

I'll foam, for 4-6 hours then brush 5-10 cycles down the barrel with a regular cleaner (shooters choice, butches, etc.), foam again over night and check. Then if it's still fouled... which is not common with my rifles I'll brush again and foam, then it's usually clean.

Second Wipe-Out as "the" foaming bore cleaner however, Patch-Out (liquid concentrate version of Wipe-Out, non-foaming) is awesome stuff!
    The cost of both are excessive for "routine" cleaning chores.
    Wipe-Out is fantastic for down to the bone bare metal clean "conditioning" of a well used bore. Proper "conditioning" with Wipe-Out is a long process whereby the bore is cleaned as best as possible, copper cleaner applied and then removed completely and then the bore is filled with foam and left sitting over a heater vent for a week! Flush and brush then repeat as necessary until bare metal clean.

My "routine" cleaning chores are quick and easy on any gun after use.
    Flush liberally with Advance Auto Parts Carb and Choke Cleaner. The stuff is about $2.69 for a big can (cheaper by the case) and goes a very long way. It breaks up and removes carbon fouling and the carbon is what is holding the copper and lead fouling in place. Best carb cleaner (gun scrubber) I have ever found and it does not harm finishes, wood, plastics and dirt cheap compared to any gun cleaning product on the market.
    Brush about 20 strokes and flush again. Repeat until black gunk no longer comes out on the flush.
    Wet a patch and stroke it through. Repeat until patch no longer comes out black.
    Wet a patch thoroughly with Patch-Out and stroke until the bore is well coated. (only requires one patch and a few drops) It will foam up just a little.
    Let stand for 15-30 minutes.
    Brush 20 strokes then go back to the carb cleaner flush and brush cycle.
    Everything is spanky clean in little time with minimal effort and minimal consumption of the more expensive Patch-Out.
    Finish with a lube patch with a few drops of 10-40 motor oil ... That's right! Good old 10-40 has proven to be the best rust preventative I've found to date and seems to greatly cut down on fouling on the next use!

I had problems with the advance auto carb cleaner on a polymer stocked rifle. It really did a number where it spilled on the shiny nylon finish. I also put a spot on my mak grips. It cleaned great, but couldn't bring myself to use it again. As far as foam goes, please keep us posted on what you think, as I am thinking of investing in some.
    "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?

Some very smart people here: They Know Patch Out is the answer. Congrats !!! Usually the Hoppes and Eds Red crew jump in and napalm anyone recommending Patch Out !! They have aimed poorly as I have been raising this product on these boards for 3 years and those who try it find it very effective.

Now I just cannot fathom why any of you are brushing so much. I tossed out my brushes 3 yrs ago. I use a nylon brush only to apply the Patch Out and let it stand over night and patch it out. Then if I want to take the barrel down to zero copper levels , I repeat the application of Patch Out and let it stand overnight. That usually takes it all out. Some stubborn bores (usually older milsurps) may take a few more applications to bring it clear.

After bores are clean , I only use Patch Out every 200 rds and then...only one application.

Idea for you guys: let the chemical do the work, stop all that brushing and flushing and fuss. You are making this work!!! Chill and let the product do the work!

Default DB3044

I tried that Adv Auto cleaner with not much to shout and holler about. Ballistol down the bore on a few patches takes all the carbon out of there.

However we are not debating your success and your approach: if it works, I must be doing something wrong.

That we agree on Patch Out is indeed indisputable. Its great stuff and far more effective (IMHO) than the Wiipe Out Foam (same maker) and far cheaper too. The accelerator product to speed up the Patch Out did work fine but I no longer need it. I am not in a hurry and can let the Patch Out work overnight (or 3 hrs minimum). The accelerator jumps starts Patch Out and is ideal for guys between relays in some competition match and want to keep their rifles free of copper fouling. I have no such need but bench rest guys use accelerator all the time for this mission.

Time for Hoppes and Eds Red mafia to show up

thanks guys,for heavy copper i usually use my foul out system but the carbon fouling is what i'm after...i figure whatever extra a good cleaner(patch out etc.) costs,it will be offset by the savings in patches and time..i enjoy cleaning but tire of endless passes down the bore sometimes-scott

I use "GUNSLICK" Foaming bore cleaner. Work like a charm been using it 6 years or so
    AK_MILSURP
    Benefactor Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, Alaska Gun Collectors Association
    Life member, VFW
    Anchorage, AK
    www.amga.net

"Remember the Range day, And keep it holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim"

Quote Originally Posted by shucks View Post
    I had problems with the advance auto carb cleaner on a polymer stocked rifle. It really did a number where it spilled on the shiny nylon finish.
    Next time try the Throttle Block Cleaner. It's way easier on plastics and finishes. I only use the carb cleaners on 100% metal.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

I think we need to clarify the differences between on the range quick cleaning (to keep shooting a heavily fouled gun), after the range cleaning, and "conditioning" or restoration of an unknown and crusty old bore.
    Different products and different methods apply to each.
    There are also differences depending on how many and what you shot ...

I tend to run anywhere from 150-300 rds through any one gun at a session necessarily leaving it pretty well clogged up and filthy depending on the powder.
    The cast lead reloads over Bullseye in .45 are surprisingly clean as the Bullseye burns relatively soot free and the leading isn't all that bad. It still requires a bit of scrubbing to get it loose.

i shoot almost all milsurp ammo and the cleaning i am referring to is restoration type to get out years of nasty!-scott

For the "restoration" or initial down to bare metal "conditioning" of a milsurp bore of unknown quality, I have to go with the WipeOut foam cycles. It will remove a good deal of copper fouling but a run of Shooter's Choice Copper Cleaner at some point in the cycles is worthwhile. Shooter's Choice is a good non-destructive copper cleaner without the harsh ammonia action of some other brands.
    I have had equal and faster results with PatchOut and really have no opinion as to which is better as both are good.
    I condemn no bore until bare metal "conditioned" and shot and have had surprising results from a couple real sewer pipes which, aside from obvious pitting, still shot pretty decent when they were done.

some of my favorite shooters were or are sewer pipes!