Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BB91 is offline Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    A m28/30 modified blade for trial in the m/39 rifle. Only 150 made and unknown amount survive with original scabbard.

Vic, I am sooooo....... Jealous. Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have many bayonets but have a couple of the rare green handle Colts

I have only really started collecting bayonets this year. AK bayonets are the only ones that I collect so I would have to say either my Indian INSAS or my Romanian Type II transitional.

Has the price of bayonets skyrocketed lately or I'm just living under a rock?

Quote Originally Posted by ttenoyab View Post
    JPS,
    This Comblain rifle looks very much like the "Comblain Model 1870 for export". This model, with minor model variations, has been exported to Chile, Brazil and Peru, where they received proper model designations. Additional non-belgian markings are the only way to distinguish what country they belong(ed) to.
    F.e., Brazilian ones were marked IB under crown in a circle. No idea what the markings on Chilean or Peruvian Comblains were.
    Hello ttenoyab,

Sorry I missed hour follow up info and comments. Regarding the export Comblain in the photo, I checked the rifle and it has a Crown/JC marked on the side of the action and the top barrel flat. It's Liege commercial inspection marked of course, but has no Belgian Govt. acceptance mark (EG over B or GB in an oval). It was manufactured by "G MORDANT" over "LIEGE" on the top barrel flat and is marked "COMBLAIN BREVET" on the right side of the action.

I have a second Comblain in my collection that is almost identical to the rifle in the photo above, however the other rifle is finished in the white, has no external hammer and the butt-plate, nosecap and barrel bands are all brass. Dimensionally both rifles are identical in pattern, i.e. the barrels are the same length, the stock furniture is in the same locations on both rifles. However, the trigger guard/action levers are slightly different in shape, as are the retaining latches that hold the lever closed. The clearing rods are slightly different as well. This rifle is marked with a Liege commercial inspection mark, but no manufacturer's marking as are found on the rifle above. There usual patent mark that appears on most Comblains ("COMBLAIN BREVET") is not present on either side of the action of this rifle?

I'll shoot some close up photos of the two rifles and then start a new thread on the Mannlicher & Black Powder Forum. I'll PM you when the photos are posted.

Thanks again for your help with this! I'd love to eventually find out who these two rifles were sold to and when.

Warmest regards,

JPS
    Last edited by JPS; 10-01-2011 at 03:43 PM.

My collection is AK-centric, so I think I would go with my Romanian transitional AKM type II bayonet
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Romy%20T2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	471712

Name:	Romy%20T2%20T1%20S.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	471713

That part of Massachusetts outside of Rt 495 that Boston doesn't know exists!

Here are my entries....

German M1902 Pioneer Sawback
    German S98 - a/A Sawback
    German "Ersoc" Brass Handled Ersatz
    Australian P1907 Mk 1
    Italian M1871/87/15 Vetterli Ersatz
    Russian M1868 Berdan I
    French M1890/12 Berthier Chinois
    French M1895 Daudeteau
    Austrian M1890 Ersatz
    French M1866/74 Chassepot Gendarmerie Socket

rarest is the guarde civique comblain 1882 bayonet and two swedish jarmann bayonets ,and soon a nsw alexander henry bayonet ,always including the rifles (no rifle without the correct bayonet )
    greetings from flanders
    jarmann

I forgot the comblain swordbayonet model 1871 (bronze comblain guarde civic artillery /genie/chasseurs éclaireurs.)
    and the winchester 1873 musket bayonet (export to the turks??? )

greetings jarmann

Well I have to update my rarest bayonet from my AK collection (since that is all I collect). It would have to be my Romanian Type II now.

Name:	Romy II pC.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	304.1 KB 
ID:	531565

- My rarest bayonet from my collection has to be a M91/24 socket bayonet modified in Finland during the 1920s for the 7.62mm M-24 bolt-action rifle with stepped barrel. There is a recess at the rear face of the socket in order to deal with the barrel step and the heavy locking ring was modified to allow a higher front sight to go through. The new serial number stamped in Finland on my M91/24 socket bayonet is "S 71179", showing that the bayonet (with its rifle) was issued in the military district of Sortavala (the town of Sortavala is located on the side of Lake Ladoga and after WW2 Finland lost to Soviet Union that large area). Initially my M91/24 bayonet was an ordinary Russian made M1891 socket bayonet manufactured at Tula arsenal and stamped with the "hammer" mark on the elbow. Lido 04/05/12

Hello everyone!
    My rarest bayonet is a Romanian M1893 Mannlicher with Ars. Arm. marking on the ricasso (normally marked OE WG), this particular bayonet was captured by the Austro-Hungarian forces and transformed in a NCO model (the Romanian NCOs had the same model as the regular troops). I already discussed this matter with Carl from old-smithy.info but no one seems to know what Ars. Arm. stands for.
    Regards!

Hello everybody!

My rarest bayonet is a Romanian M1893 Mannlicher with rare marking on the ricasso: Ars. Arm., it seems that no one knows what it stands for and my Mannlicher M1893 is the only example known at this moment with this marking (previously it was assumed that only the Mannlicher M1895's had this unknown marking).

Regards!

Name:	P1051_09_03_12.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	310.6 KB 
ID:	535568 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1012_09_03_12.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	318.3 KB 
ID:	535567 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1259_10_03_12.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	320.2 KB 
ID:	535570 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1252_10_03_12.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	535569 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1253_10_03_12.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	322.9 KB 
ID:	535571

I believe a Bulgarian collector Metodij already solved the riddle, is a romanian production facility or refurbischment.

@AndyB, my theory is that this bayonet was repaired my the Romanians during WW1 because it was damaged during the fights and with this occasion they removed the Austrian markings (OE WG) and stamped the Ars. Arm. which in Romanian language could mean Arsenalul Armatei (Army Arsenal) but I have no hard evidence for this theory.

There is same opinion by the Bulgarian collector as one of the russian collector, anyway as there were only M95 bayonets so marked, the romanian source would be possibility but not 100%, the latin alphabet is only in Romania, and Slovenia, other countries that used cyrilica, but with M93 bayonet i believe is more real, when You wrote in google the full name of arsenal, there will find a site which is in roman, there is more info, by other languages is only minimum info about it.
    my M95 Ars Arm is certainly not a rework, but more possibility a new blade, the crosspiece is not a bulgarian replacement and on pommel is 34?? V i assumed its a serial number.

This Swiss M14 sawback bayonet is probably my most unique babyonet.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Martini Henry Carbine sawback bayonet. next to the P07 Hooked quillion that I also have. Also the Australian Machete bayonet for the SMLE
    +1 for the Australian Parachutist (Machete) Bayonet

Quote Originally Posted by farmdog View Post
    Well I have to update my rarest bayonet from my AK collection (since that is all I collect). It would have to be my Romanian Type II now.

Name:	Romy II pC.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	304.1 KB 
ID:	531565
    Sir,...that looks to me to be the Izhevsk factory marking..the Romanian markings on my M44 are similiar but do not have the fletching on the arrow..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROMANIAN M44 023.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	601005 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thanksgiving daniels run 022.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	601007

Not an AK bay collector but I do have a 1/2 dozen or so and many com-bloc rifles..if I'm wrong I hope you will fill me in on the details.

Cheers, and welcome to Gunboards!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Russian M44 IZZY 1945 006.jpg  

Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

Mine would be a SkY Fiskars 28/30 bayonet.

Well I finally was able to get photos of the bayonet I mentioned in post #5 of this thread oh so long ago, and I quote:

The Imperial German conversion of the French M1874 Gras rifle bayonet to fit the Gew98 and the Kar98a, I forget the Carter number. This involved using the Gras bayonet's T-shaped blade making modifications to the hilt and and fitting a Mauser style pommel with TO slot. New grips were fitted as well. Mine is not in the best of condition, it appears to be a post WW1 battlefield recovery with some heavy pitting to both the scabbard and bayonet but the wood is still solid and after careful cleaning it fits a Gew98 very nicely.

Name:	Gras_with_71_84_grip_1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	601065

Name:	Gras_with_71_84_grip_2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	601066

Quote Originally Posted by celtan View Post
    I have one like yours, strangely enough, it seems to have a waffenamp in the crossguard...

Yeah. It's a socalled "Hird" bayonet

These were made at Kongsberg Våpenfabrikk during the war. They had no serial number but waffenamp on the crossguard. Should have a number on the scabbard and the scabbard has no chape.

See picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hird.jpg  

HA!
    Got back today from Stockholm. Had a bayonet with me that had raised my suspicions. Showed it to Mr. "Bayonets of Scandinavia", Per Holmbäck at the Stockholm gun and militaria show, and he confirmed my suspicions: The bayonet is a Swedish m/1845 cadet model.

The original lot was 200 pieces, with an additional lot of 20 pieces totalling up to 220 pieces made.

Name:	1845 kadett.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	603752Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-04-269.jpg 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	603753
    Price paid: 339 Swedish crowns, about 50 US$. It went totally under everybody's radar on a Swedish auction site, advertised as a Swedish m/90 bayonet (no such thing)- the 90 is the serial number, so it's from the 1st batch.
    Last edited by Sohlo; 11-11-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    Lahtinen:"Minä paahdoin perään minkä mä kiväärillä kerkisin, muttei tommosella saatanan sohlolla mihinkään osaa."
    -Väinö Linna "The unknown Soldier"

some beautiful pieces in this thread , i have enjoyed looking them all over , thanks

i think of my Pat 1907 hooked quillon as the prize in my collection , but i have a very nice early M1905 in a M1905 scabbord , and one of the original import FALs as well ,

There are definitely more than 4 Mondragon Spade Bayonets. I've had one over 50 years on my 1908 rifle.

My rarest bayonet probably a PFM 1869/71 conversion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pfm69.JPG  

my 1909 unit marked german sawback . if you would like some pictures i will take some.
    “Be Kind, for Everyone You Meet is Fighting a Great Battle.” ~ Plato

Keith McCauley

Quote Originally Posted by A square 10 View Post
    i think of my Pat 1907 hooked quillon as the prize in my collection

That's a great photo - on the left! Making the point why the PBI didn't like the SMLE with a short P 1903 bayonet because of 'lack of reach' against charging cavalry, and why the longer P 1907 was brought in! But, mind you, I'm still waiting for a contemporary reference that in WWI anyone actually used a P 1907 for dismounting an enemy Uhlan or similar cavalryman...!!!

Trajan

Name:	bayonet m28-30 and m42 sheathed.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	625828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bayonet m35cg and 42 unsheated.jpg 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	625829

Finnish m/42 trials bayonet to mimic the m/39 bayonet. Only about 150 made.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

wow sorry about the double post
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Nice forum. Just surfing this site and thought I would touch on one of my past collecting interests. Had a Mondragon bayonet about 40-45 years ago. Sold it to Jim Maddox. Met up with him again at a Louisville show where I bought one of his books. Told me that he still had the bayonet. Rarest bayonet I have now is a Simonov AVS-36, nice condition, no sheath. My main collecting interest is SKS rifles, that is the reason I have this bayonet. I did have a borrowed AVS-36 rifle on display with my SKS rifles at an Ohio Gun Collectors show several years back. The owner of the rifle sold me the bayonet. He still has one with the sheath. Would like to find a sheath for my bayonet. Probably almost an impossibility. PM me if you know of a sheath. Would trade the bayonet for an original, non-refurbed 1949 dated Russian SKS and pay difference. Probably also an impossibility. Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

Apart from the Australian Parachutist bayonet form the SMLE that I mentioned earlier, I also seem to have another rare bird (which I only discovered might be rarer than I thought), being a Chaing Kai Shek (sorry for the spelling) Mauser bayonet with leather scabbard.

I would have thought that these would have been a dime a dozen as the Chinese never seem to manufacture things in small quantities.

Can anyone shed light on why they seem so scarce?

Heavy use and the lack of ones gettign out of the country and prices at the moment seem to be out of sorts with availability, there are a lot for sale at the moment, a friend in the UK saw dozens for a lot less, but a good bit of MEGA RARE on ebay and th prices rocketed.

Quote Originally Posted by rse-ori View Post
    There are definitely more than 4 Mondragon Spade Bayonets. I've had one over 50 years on my 1908 rifle.
    What is the serial # of your Mondragon?. Is the rifle or bayonet stamped "MEXICANA REPUBLICA"? Is either for sale or trade? Are you up for questions about your Mondragon?
    Collectors can't spend too much....only buy too early!

Quote Originally Posted by old-smithy View Post
    Heavy use and the lack of ones gettign out of the country and prices at the moment seem to be out of sorts with availability, there are a lot for sale at the moment, a friend in the UK saw dozens for a lot less, but a good bit of MEGA RARE on ebay and th prices rocketed.
    Thanks Carl

Quote Originally Posted by oldblades View Post
    ^^^^^^^ Now that Mondragon is one cool bayonet. That would easily take rarest and favorite in my collection. I'd like a couple more pictures please.
    Here are a couple more pictures. Mine is rather beat....like someone used it in the garden as a trowel for the last 100 years. The othe two pictures are of a bayenet that fits the Mondragon but I am unable to find info on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20080229_17.jpg   IMG_1646.JPG   IMG_1647.JPG   P1010004.JPG   IMG_0217.JPG  
    Collectors can't spend too much....only buy too early!

My rarest bayonet has got to be my 1941 Johnson Automactics bayonetClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1941 back.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	634675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1941 bayonet.jpg 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	634676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1941 rt.jpg 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	634677

Quote Originally Posted by flowboy143 View Post
    My rarest bayonet has got to be my 1941 Johnson Automactics bayonetClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1941 back.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	634675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1941 bayonet.jpg 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	634676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1941 rt.jpg 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	634677
    Lots of fakes out there. Good to see a real one.

Bill

One I wish I had kept, 45-70 trowel bayonet

there are also two versions of the marking and they are always matched to the quality of th e1895, I don't believe they are refurb marks as if they were there would not be two levels of quality, it is more like a factory with initial production and final production. Unless the two marks are to show the quality of the original blade, however I have not seen the low quality stuff with any other marking than the Ars Arm

Default The rarest bayonet I own...

Hello Folks,

An excellent thread!

My own area of interest where bayonets are concerned is socket bayonets. I used to collect bayonets of all types and had quite a large collection back in the late 70's and early 80's, and though I have sold that collection I have always maintained my interest in bayonets. Now that I have recently started to collect again, I have decided to specialize in socket bayonets.
    This bayonet is probably the rarest I have at the moment, a British 'volunteer' socket bayonet, perhaps 1775 - 1800. Graham Priest informed me that it was amongst a batch of 150 that were found in an old London warehouse and that were sold by Bannermans prior to 1927.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails British volunteers socket bayonet. 001.jpg   British volunteers socket bayonet. 002.jpg   British volunteers socket bayonet. 004.jpg   British volunteers socket bayonet. 005.jpg  

My rarest since all the others are 91/30 and M44 commons. As pointed out by knowledgable GB members, an 88/98 Ersatz Turk that didn't get "Turked".

Name:	DSCF1344.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	303.1 KB 
ID:	637955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1345.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	637956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1346.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	288.2 KB 
ID:	637957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1350.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	295.4 KB 
ID:	637958
    Last edited by johnnybar; 02-23-2013 at 12:52 PM.

I submit my 1891 argentine mauser bayonet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1061.jpg   DSCF1062.jpg   DSCF1063.jpg   DSCF1064.jpg   DSCF1065.jpg  

Jut got my third (yes, third) example of an UNMODIFIED Greek Y 1903 knife bayonet... Photo's will follow when camera back to order... I have another one in sight but a bit rusty and with modern replacement grips...

Trajan

PS: JPS - one side of me says' "Don't rub it in - he's got everything and more, except a Y 1903!", but the other side is that I promised to keep an eye open for you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast