Default 10 round Magazine for M/1903

Numrich is offering a 10 round magazine for the M/1903
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC=
    I can't find any information on it, what's the story?
    I bought one of course.

It wasn't used by the military in M1903s, I'm sure of that.

Not even the Coast Guard? I can't find a thing on this mystery magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Libertad View Post
    Not even the Coast Guard? I can't find a thing on this mystery magazine.
    No. As Rick said, it is not a military component. The only large capacity magazine for the M1903 that I am aware of is the Air Service Rifle magazine.

The only thing I have heard of even remotely similar was from an American Rifleman account of Quadalcanal where some soldiers would have BAR mags welded to their M1903 trigger guards.

I wonder about the quality, the Mauser "Trench magazine" got years ago was sub-par

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

Odd sort of thing. Unless it's something experimental or "one off", I've never seen anything like it as an issue item for a 1903. And I can't figure what the chain and bracket-like fitting on the side would be for.

there was an 'air service' magazine for the M1903 but its not this one , the real ones are worth a small fortune by what ive seen and i cant for the life of me see why - except to the 'absolute' collector and they are very rare , but most of us dont need it any more than we need the pederson device ---JMHO

The book sold by CMP, "The US Garand Rifle in Pictures-WW2 & Korea," has a picture of a 1903 with a 40 round mag attached. (page 62) True dosen't answer the question of the orgin of the 10 mag but interesting none the less. I would love to have one of the 40 mags. I intend to purchase one of the 10 round mags. I'll let you know what I find out.

Talking

Better not let Senator Chuckie Schumer see that or he might want to outlaw "assault bolt rifles"!!! You know how dangerous 19th century technology can be!
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.
    [Points to sword] But this....this you can trust!"

Conan the Barbarian, 1982

IIRC, one of Canfield's books makes mention of an 'experiemntal' 10-round magazine. Unfortunately, I cannot recall if it was for the M1 Garand or the Model 1903A3 rifle and during what conflict/time period it saw use.

Tim

Don't know about Canfield's reference to an 03A3 w/ 10 round capacity, but the M1 rifle was designed with a 10 round capacity of .276 cartridges in a clip.

The 10 round box arrived yesterday. The box itself is a stamped welded box designed to replace the floorplate. It seems well made and lacks any markings. A chain is attached on one end to small clip. The clip can be inserted into a slot and converts the box back to five capasity. Why? I need an 03 trigger guard to try it out. Shouldn't take too long I'll let you know.
    Last edited by sgtsavage210; 02-07-2008 at 03:13 AM.

Default Mystery Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Jungles View Post
    Odd sort of thing. Unless it's something experimental or "one off", I've never seen anything like it as an issue item for a 1903. And I can't figure what the chain and bracket-like fitting on the side would be for.
    The chain is attached to a flat piece that goes through the side of the magazine to hold the follower and spring in play. The flat piece sticks in the raised bracket on the side when not in use and the chain prevents it from being lost. It may be a new product at that price. Sarco is supposed to have one original "Air Service" mag in the original, but poor conditon cardboard box for $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by garnettstancil View Post
    The chain is attached to a flat piece that goes through the side of the magazine to hold the follower and spring in play..
    I am sorry but I am not quite sure by what you mean,"hold the follower and spring in play."
    The clip appears to be a cut off and return the mag to a 5 round capacity. I have the mag the floorplate but am waiting for the floorplate catch assembly. Hopefully I'll be able to try it out in the next few days.

Default 10 round box

Here are the pictures of the 10 round mag extension. Note this 03A3 can be returned to correct in about an hour. No 03A3 was harmed in the making of these pictures. The picture with the box removed shows the extended follower spring and the standard spring. The box comes with spring and follower. Fitting the box to an A3 requires a milled trigger guard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03a3 ext mag 001.jpg   03a3 ext mag 004.jpg  

Anyone still have this picture to repost would like to see on a gun? thanks