R-Guns PU sniper

Thread: R-Guns PU sniper

Default R-Guns PU sniper

Well everybody I had a chance to get my rar end over to R-Guns this weekend and see what was up with all the buzz about the PU snipers. I was fortunate enough to have an invite to inspect the rifles and give my opinion. It was also a very fruitful meeting in that I got the tour and had a chance to sit down with the owner and discuss a business relationship between R-Guns and Gunboards that should prove to be beneficial to both parties and our membership. I can say that we did reach an agreement and R-Guns has graciously accepted a position as a sponsor of Gunboards.com. (big round of applause please )

I had a chance to see the facility and the rifles that R-Guns has for sale and the selection is nice and the quality was excellent. Roger tells me that his passion is black rifles and that was evident and his selection was very nice. Along with these rifles there is an expansive assortment of ammo and surplus rifles to be had at R-Guns. Primary amount these are Mosin Nagant's in the m/44 and 91/30 types as well as the much sought after 91/30 PU models. In addition there are 1895 Nagant pistols and Russian captured K-98 Mauser's in several grades ranging from good with peened markings to very good to excellent and markings intact. You need to check into the web site to see what other items are there as it would be too much to list here.

Now onto the PU sniper rifles. I had an opportunity to look at many of the rifles that are for sale to you the collector and member of Gunboards.com
    I was also fortunate enough to actually look at the rifles being unpacked and marked with the import markings that are required by ATF law and that was eye opening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rg.jpg 
Views:	620 
Size:	173.8 KB 
ID:	392004

I spent the afternoon inspecting and sorting through some rifles that were unpacked from the original military storage crates in R-Guns facility. The crates were wire banded and lead sealed to prevent unauthorized opening and tampering during storage or transit. The crates were also fully military marked and and nailed and screwed shut. When opened the contents were encapsulated in oil paper and a desiccant paper for long term storage. The accessories like slings and pouches for the rifles were included one for each rifle.

Name:	rg inspect 2.JPG 
Views:	740 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	392007 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rg inspect 3.jpg 
Views:	912 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	392008
    My first impression of the rifles was that they were in very nice condition and I looked at them a bit suspiciously. But after looking at more and more they all were in the same well cared for condition. Both rifle's of Tula make and Izhvesk make were included in the appropriate ratio that one would expect. All of the rifles I looked at had matching optics. The Izhvesk guns had the scope serial number added to the barrel shank-either as its original number or as a later replacement with the original lined out and the new scope number of the replacement unit placed above it. Some rifles even had three scope numbers! The Izhvesk rifle had for the most part all Izhvesk made mounts with a variety of common scope makers spread across the gamut. The rifles for the most part carried original wood and had nice Izhvesk cartouches present. Some carried the replacement stocks we are accustomed to when stock replacement was necessary and those of course carried the familiar box and slash proof marking. Some rifle were in refinished stocks of a darker shellac that had a very attractive look to them with a rich grain pattern.

Name:	rg crate.jpg 
Views:	865 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	392009 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rg sling pouch.JPG 
Views:	767 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	392010

The Tula rifles I observed where again properly marked and in the correct date ranges. The guns in this series differed as they should in that the scope mounts were serial numbered to the rifle with a Cyrillic prefix and number. Most if not all were two or three digit serial numbers as expected in series runs of 999. With the scope being mated to the rifle via the scope mount and an EP serial number on the receiver the serial number of the scope itself is lined out. Both makers mounts showed signs of a witness mark indicating proper scope rotation settings in the mount. The Tula rifles I examined all fell in the typical range of 43 and 44 as did the Izhvesk rifles. The stocks on the Tula rifles for the most part carried Tula cartouches as well dated to the rifles date. Stock proofing was prolific on many stocks.

Name:	rg iz full 2.JPG 
Views:	488 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	392016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rg iz full.JPG 
Views:	461 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	392015

Name:	rg iz mark.JPG 
Views:	619 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	392011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rg tula stock.JPG 
Views:	611 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	392012

The optics on all rifles appeared to be in good order and clear. It is hard to tell though when one is wearing rubber gloves to check when the optics have oil paper inside the leather scope caps to create a seal and sometimes oil gets on the lens'. I would say that I saw only a few scopes that lacked finish on them or mounts that lacked less then 80% or more bluing. This was a bonus for me actually as many of the rifles did not look like little if any refurbishment had been necessary and none looked heavily worked over. A very positive sign of authenticity in my book. Fake rifles don't come in military crates and with less then 100% blue on them and not one scope or mount I examined out of many was not authentic. All seemed to my eye to be authentic rifles.

Name:	rg tula side.JPG 
Views:	633 
Size:	279.0 KB 
ID:	392013 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rg iz scope match.JPG 
Views:	694 
Size:	236.3 KB 
ID:	392014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rg snipers.JPG 
Views:	579 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	392017
    Are these rifles refurbished? Yes they are in some degree or fashion. These rifles are typical rifles that were placed into long term storage after being rebuilt to front line service grade condition-some more then others. These are in all my years of collecting Russian sniper rifle the first rifles I have ever examined in all of the imports that had matching serial number scopes to the rifles. Some crates had rifles in them with mismatched scopes and when removed and placed on a table with the rifles they correct rifle could be found in that crate to recreate the match. I did a lot of that during the day with the friend I was with to keep the proper scope package with the proper rifle. R-Gun's also did a lot of that in making sure each rifle when import marked had its proper scope replaced before being repacked in the crate so they would remain proper. Kudos to R-Gun for caring about the collector and keeping these rifles together as they should be. Its not an easy thing and they went the extra mile to assure that for you guys as it would have been a lot easier to just whip them off and put them back on in a hap hazard way.

It is my opinion that these rifles are a very rare chance for you the collector to get an authentic PU sniper rifle in the condition they were put away in for later use. These are not in my opinion purposely built guns that are reproductions made for the collector market in the US. These are the real deal guys. These are also incredibly desirable with the matching scope mounts/scope package to the rifle-the first time these have ever been offered in the configuration or shape. As a collector of these kinds of rifles I can tell you with out hesitation that I personally purchased several of the rifles for my own personal collection. I was that pleased with them.

I want to thank R-Gun for their hospitality and allowing me to view the rifles and present a in depth review for you the collector here on Gunboards.com. I also want to let you know that the guys at R-Guns have Russian 1895 revolvers in stock and m/44 and 91/30 rifles as well. They have also been gracious enough to allow me to organize a group buy on some rare m/44 carbines for you the membership. On a side note and a possible perk for you the membership that is not afforded to anybody else-if you ask specifically it is possible that you can receive one of the limited numbers of scope covers that are available for the PU in addition to the normal sling and ammo pouch that comes with the rifle as standard. You must be a Gunboards member and you must mention that you wish to receive a cover specifically to get one of the limited numbers available. This is not a guarantee but rather a suggestion as numbers are limited and this is based on R-Guns sole discretion.

So if you order please let them know you are a Gunboards member and that you saw the product here and are anxious to make one of these rare rifles a part of your collection. Good luck and I know you will be satisfied. I am very pleased with the examples I added to my collection and with the R-guns outfit and ownership as a whole. Also please check the sponsors group deal section for the m/44 carbine deal that is in the works. That will make a great addition to your Russian collection for a very attractive price.

Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Any update on the m44 group deal?

thanks vic. nothing to to with the snipers tho. one of them mosin pistols and a couple hundred rounds for a 'just in case' truck gun. thats the ticket.
    PISDETS VSEMU

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I recently purchased one of RGUNs Mosin Snipers and want to put out a good word on their customer service. I had an issue with my rifle and they were fantastic to deal with and would recommend buying one from them anytime. The rifle is beautiful and the trigger pull is amazing! I should also mention that talking with Eric from RGUNS was a pleasure, he is an extremely freindly guy to work with....First class organization!
    Last edited by airborne118; 05-20-2011 at 02:42 PM.

great review.

and i'm thrilled with my rguns PU sniper. just all around great.

very nice ,thanks for sharing !

bought one too. Absolutely gorgeous. Not a Tula but who cares. If I had the dough, I'd buy another.

I couldn't be happier with mine. Wife likes it so much she asked me what I was gonna shoot when we went to the range...... Going to order another one.

I bought my K98 from them and my nagant revolver. Also several thousand rounds of ammo. VERY pleased and VERY helpful customer service. Also very friendly and helpful in store. Ive been there several times and never felt like i was pressured to buy anything. Thinking of purchasing a sniper and or another nagant revolver soon.

I recently received my 91/30 PU sniper from Rguns and have to say they sent me a fantastic example. Their coustomer service was very good and it shipped quickly. I received a 1944 Izhevsk with a correct mount and a serial matching Krasnogorsk alloy scope. The rifle and optics are in outstanding shape. Very happy with the purchase and thinking about a second one.
    MG42
    Dragunov Tigr
    SIG 1911
    Mossberg 590A1
    Project MG34 slowly taking-off

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack."
    George S. Patton

Didn't realize the thread was sticky posted new thread.
    Last edited by Acutus; 12-31-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    Billy

1 - M39 1944 VKT
    1 - M91 1896 Tula, Finn Captured
    1 - 91/30 Izhevsk 1943 PU Sniper
    and looking for #4!

Ordered one today. Nice write up Vic. I have been reading it over the past two years, many times, mouth watering. I FINALY have the funds :D
    Gary

***WARNING*** Mosins breed like rabbits!

In shallow men the fish of little thoughts cause much commotion. In oceanic minds the whales of inspiration make hardly a ruffle. PARAMHANSA YOGANANDA

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald R. Ford

"Let your effort be louder than your mouth."

I sent them an email asking if they could pick an all matching one with no line outs and if they had any Tula. this is the email i got back.
    we due not have tula as posted. and will IF we have send. but if your looking for a new gun you may want to get a REMINGTON 700.
    that was exactly has it was written. I dont know why they have such bad customer service. You would think with the recent imports and the prices being in the high 500 and low 600 they would be willing to do what ever they could to sell their guns for $800.

I emailed them too and said I would take a tula right now, this was 5 weeks ago, and heard nothing. Their customer service sucks.

I called them last summer asking about their Nagant M1895 pistols, told them I was new to them and wanted some info and said I live close enough to drive there. He was short with his help, sounded as tho I was wasting his time and pretty much as well hung up on me, I'll never do business with them, I've bought a couple M1895s from Gander Mt. that were Rguns ... that's as close as i'll go to buying there stuff ... but wanted the pistols for my collection. P.S. Rguns have the ugliest import marks .. JMHO

Talking

Ask for Eric when you call. He's great to work with. Very accommodating and understands collectors.

I called to order a PU and after telling them I was a Gunboards member and thanking them for sponsorship, I inquired about the availability of the Tula rifles. He said that he wasn't sure if they had any left but that the Tula rifles were $100 more. I told him I wasn't interested in paying more for the Tula and asked him if he would just pick me out a nice matching Izhesvk - and please include a scope cover if they had any remaining. When I received my rifle, I was pleasantly surprised with a very nice 1944 Tula, including an original scope cover!

Thanks Eric!

Last edited by jjjxlr8; 03-16-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
    Ask for Eric when you call. He's great to work with. Very accommodating and understands collectors.

I called to order a PU and after telling them I was a Gunboards member and thanking them for sponsorship, I inquired about the availability of the Tula rifles. He said that he wasn't sure if they had any left but that the Tula rifles were $100 more. I told him I wasn't interested in paying more for the Tula and asked him if he would just pick me out a nice matching Izhesvk - and please include a scope cover if they had any remaining. When I received my rifle, I was pleasantly surprised with a very nice 1944 Tula, including an original scope cover!

Thanks Eric!
    that must to have been long long time ago.

i am still trying to get one of their rifles since i cant find one on the secondary market. i have sent them multiple emails and even sent in an order request with what i am looking for. i have not gotten a response yet and would like to know if my order is going to be filled or not. i feel ashamed that R Guns is a sponsor of Gunboards when it treats customers like this. I understand they are paying money to post on here but if they treat people like this they should not be on a great forum like this one.
    I am in law enforcement and understand getting the same dumb questions everyday can be somewhat of a pain in the butt, but i still have to be respectful and try my best to be professional. Who does R Guns think they are to treat people like? How can this forum continue to represent this company when it does not have respect to its members?
    If i could get them to answer my email or phone calls and let me know if they were not going to place my order or not i would place an order with AIM or Classic for one of their PU's while they have them. their customer service is so much better i rather give my money to them and save $200.

Quote Originally Posted by pgaplayerless View Post
    that must to have been long long time ago.
    2 years ago.

I was sent an email back from them advising they no longer had all matching rifles. I doubt this is the case but just an FYI before you order.

Quote Originally Posted by brodydog View Post
    I was sent an email back from them advising they no longer had all matching rifles. I doubt this is the case but just an FYI before you order.
    AIM or Classic?

i sent the email to R Guns

Quote Originally Posted by brodydog View Post
    i sent the email to R Guns
    At least you got an email back. I got an order confirmation on 2/8/13 and can't get an answer on order status. Nothing....crickets...
    Gary

***WARNING*** Mosins breed like rabbits!

In shallow men the fish of little thoughts cause much commotion. In oceanic minds the whales of inspiration make hardly a ruffle. PARAMHANSA YOGANANDA

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald R. Ford

"Let your effort be louder than your mouth."

I have had very bad experiences with the rguns im thinking of ,has shotgun news ad's?.They advertised some mosin exsniper authentic sniper bolt mosins for sale at 155.00, they were total rip off's.ordered several cases of ammo from him same thing never got the ammo and he tried to charge me a 100 dollar cancellation fee after 4 months of waiting, we have a whole thread on another forum about rguns ,pagun owners forum and how bad of a buisness guy he really was.Maybe its a diff rguns they in ill?.just saying what my dealings with r guns has been, all bad.

these pictures just prove what i tell people. the importer's get all these rifles with ammo pouches, sling's scope lens caps and the full canvas scope covers when they buy the rifles from the exporter's. i think that we as purchaser's of said rifles should get the same when we buy them. but noooooo!, that would be treating the purchaser with respect and giving them what they already paid for. no, the importer takes all these items and sells them on forum's and ebay and gun shows to make more money off item's WE paid for. and then try to tell us that the rifles didn't come with any of these things. so than we pay another $100 bucks for the things we need of which i think we already paid for. now the PU snipers of RGuns. are these any different than the ones from Aim surplus and Classic firearms? i don't think so and there $200 cheaper. the picture of the stock with the CCCP and the circle with 2 letters in it are the same stamp on mine i got from Classic firearms. plus if you order form AIM or CLASSIC you get said item very quick. just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by wacman85 View Post
    the importer takes all these items and sells them on forum's and ebay and gun shows to make more money off item's WE paid for.
    With all due respect, if I buy and pay for 2 items, regardless of what they are, they are now my property. If I then decide to sell one of those two items to you, you have paid for the item I sold you and nothing more.

I don't see how YOU/WE have paid for something that was purchased and paid for, by some else, before you/we knew it even happened.
    http://forums.gunboards.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24847&dateline=122561  0333