Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miltex Special Edition Makarov?

Hey everyone. I was directed here to ask about my Miltex SE Makarov because you guys are the Makarov experts.

I have an excellent (98%) condition Miltex SE with the original Arsenal black plastic grip and the two magazines serial numbered to the gun. I've shot this gun once.

Anyone have an idea of the value for this pistol? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SlimTim; 01-22-2011 at 01:20 PM.

It's worthless. Send it to me immediately.

Seriously though, the old makarov.com site pegged it at $250-400, depending on finish. But that was a few years ago.

I personally have not come across one in person. It will probably fetch upwards of $500 in my non-expert opinion. I would buy one for $400-500 if I ever come across one.

Quote Originally Posted by docnyt View Post
    It will probably fetch upwards of $500 in my non-expert opinion. I would buy one for $400-500 if I ever come across one.
    Email sent.

Just kidding. I imagine you'll have numerous PMs however.

Never seen one reach $500, even on auction. I don't see 'em all though. And the 380 version has always brought a significant amount less than the 9x18s. I don't think makarov.com is too far off.

SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

TENNESSEEAN is offline Super Moderator / Diamond Bullet with oak leaves member

$500 won't buy the one I have in .380!
    Appalachain American

I see it doesn't have the S.E. finger rest magazine base and w/o box and papers, I would guess $175-$225. +or-
    Last edited by Steve M; 01-26-2011 at 03:28 PM.

As stated above, the 9x17's tend not to bring the value of the 9x18...SE 9x18's seem to change hands nowadays for (with 2 matching mags w/pinky rests, box, papers, mint condition) $500 +-... you're probably looking at $300-$350 maybe a little more...if you find someone who just can't live w/o it you could probably get alot more...shoot, there's an extremely "rare" Norinco mak on Gunbroker that's not all that rare and some NOOB has bid $580 on it...you have nice gun there by the way...
    Last edited by akraider; 01-24-2011 at 03:12 AM.

As I said, I haven't seen any change hands at that level. Folks who wouldn't sell for $500 or more really don't figure into the equation, after all, they aren't selling. Can someone point me to a sale at $500+?

TIA,
    SlimTim

ST, i agree but then again I'm talking about a new in box .380 with the original factory wood grips and black arsenal grips, everything except the gun still wrapped in the factory plastic, I only took the plastic off the gun for pictures, there's no mark on the gun where the safety has been moved and I haven't moved it. It's the only mak I now have that I can say is NEW! The other two Miltex SE's that were bought new are now used. The grip in the middle is one from Makarov.com.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3708.JPG  
    Last edited by TENNESSEEAN; 01-24-2011 at 09:20 PM.
    Appalachain American

TENNESSEEAN, I'm not doubting you or begrudging you $500+ on your SE, I just know you don't want to sell it period. It not being for sale, it matters not at what price you would sell it. I got one still in the plastic. The plastic has a small opening, but not big enough to get the pistol out. It's not for sale either. If it were, I'm not sure what price tag I'd put on it.

All I'm saying (and not finding the right words to make my point) is of those that have actually sold, I've not seen any bring $500+. I only recall one or two bringing over $400 for that matter. Again, I'm certain I haven't seen all that sold, ergo my asking for someone to point one out to me that reached that level.

SlimTim

I said I agree.
    Appalachain American

It's probably worth around $300. I don't think it being .380 will affect the price that much. There are many people out there who aren't collectors, and are just looking for a good, solid handgun. Many of these people will be more familiar with .380 than 9x18.

What don't you like about the pistol? If it were me, I'd hold onto it.

I must agree with Slim Tim, I believe the .380acp Makarovs do not command the sale prices that the 9x18m's do. I purchased a mint in the box, with holster, Instruction booklet, factory QC Slip, both matching magazines, Aarsenal .380acp with Miltex trigger guard and Miltex grips for $239.00. The pistol is unfired!
    That was the starting price on GB and I was the ONLY bidder!

Do not confuse the Miltex SE in .380 with the Bailkal IJ70-17.
    IMO, the Miltex, along with the Simson-Suhl, probably has the finest finish of the Maks. It is one of the best, and there were not all that many made.
    The fact is that most appear to have been made in .380. That was probably a good decision, given the rarity (in the West) of 9x18M ammo at that time.

Teakwood, The Aarsenal I have in .380acp is not an IJ70-17 or whatever, It is a Commerical Bulgarian with left over Miltex parts, ie ,the trigger guard, and the grips. The rest is standard commerical Bulgarian. As for the Simson-Suhls, I have both, the one with the "Thur." marking and the later one without the "Thur." Both are Unfired and in mint condition. Both with matching plastic boxes magazines, etc. One still has the magazines still sealed in clear plastic as is the instruction booklet and the pink "Made in Germany" wiping cloth. I also have a mint chrome Miltex, box, etc. caliber 9x18m. And I still do not believe .380 is the better seller. I believe TWO Simson-Suhls were made in .380acp.

Quote Originally Posted by Simson-Suhl View Post
    ... And I still do not believe .380 is the better seller. I believe TWO Simson-Suhls were made in .380acp.
    I am not saying that Makarovs in .380 are better sellers. I am simply saying that in the USA in the mid-1990's, 9x18M ammo was not as easy to get as .380, and it was probably perceived that a pistol in .380 would be better sellers, at that time.. That is my opinion anyway.
    I know that when I bought my first new IJ70, all I could find was some of that Russian surplus ammo that came in 16-round white boxes. [Hmmm... that was good ammo. Kinda wish I still had some.]

Just one question, what's the hottest selling guns out there right now?
    Appalachain American

A few of the more advanced or long time collectors may have to help me on this reply, and disreguarding the rare Simsons and possibly Chinese .380acp Makarovs. I believe the first Makarovs to arrive in the US in LARGE NUMBERS were all military surplus, DDR/EG, Russian, Bulgarian, and Chinese, ( Chinese reworked & blued) all chambered in 9x18m,. Miltex came into production at the last of the 90's and was in service a very short time. I know very little, in fact, zip point .... about the Russian adjustable sight Makarovs, however, I think they begain the importation after some of our new gun laws about sporting weapons. Being made for the US market probably included an increase in the .380acp caliber. I believe Miltex produced far more of their pistols in 9x18m than in the 380acp caliber. The only factorys to produce the 380acp chambering in the Makarov on a production scale is Arsenal, (includes Miltex) in Bulgaria and Russia.

I believe Miltex produced far more of their pistols in 9x18m than in the 380acp caliber. The only factorys to produce the 380acp chambering in the Makarov on a production scale is Arsenal, (includes Miltex) in Bulgaria and Russia.
    I believe the PRC produced (or still produces) a variation of their M59 Mak in .380acp. So that leaves E. Germany as the only Mak mfgr. to NOT produce a commercial variant in this caliber.

Also, I'm not sure about the Miltex guns, but the square TG post-Miltex Arsenals seem to have been imported in .380 more so than 9x18.

Quote Originally Posted by TENNESSEEAN View Post
    Just one question, what's the hottest selling guns out there right now?
    Polymer-framed .380 pocket rockets? Between Keltec and Ruger, 90,000 were produced in 2008 alone.

I read somewhere the Chinese chambered their Makarov in 380acp. The amount produced is unknown. Has anyone on the Makarov Forum ever owned or seen a Chinese Model 59 Makarov in 380acp? Also has not China adopted a new pistol in 9mm para.? The Mararov is probably still in service, but still in production?

I read somewhere the Chinese chambered their Makarov in 380acp. The amount produced is unknown. Has anyone on the Makarov Forum ever owned or seen a Chinese Model 59 Makarov in 380acp?
    Yes!
    And while we're at it.
    "Chinese, ( Chinese reworked & blued)" I'll make this simple, BS. Started by people hoping to increase the value of their Norincos to that of the Chinese Military SHI's.
    Appalachain American

Looter my boy, why not throw in Walther PP's and PPK's, Browning 1910's. The question is which cailber is the most popular in the sale of MAKAROVS!!!
    Or which caliber will sell for the greater amount, IN MAKAROVS!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Looter View Post
    Polymer-framed .380 pocket rockets? Between Keltec and Ruger, 90,000 were produced in 2008 alone.
    Don't forget about the Kahrs, Diamondback, Tarus, Smith & Wesson Bodyguard (complete with built in laser) and a host of others.
    Appalachain American

On the Chinese rework, can you explain to me why the left side of the slide has very deep grinder marks that have been stamped over for the importer and reblued? Frame has the triangle "56"? Right side is smooth, over all a very nice blue job. Two "56", One ZZ with no "56" and great blueing.

On the Chinese rework, can you explain to me why the left side of the slide has very deep grinder marks that have been stamped over for the importer and reblued? Frame has the triangle "56"? Right side is smooth, over all a very nice blue job. Two "56", One ZZ with no "56" and great blueing.
    I don't know, I've seen my share of Chinese maks and don't recall one like that. Pics might help.
    Appalachain American

Looter my boy, why not throw in Walther PP's and PPK's, Browning 1910's. The question is which cailber is the most popular in the sale of MAKAROVS!!!
    Or which caliber will sell for the greater amount, IN MAKAROVS!!!.
    That wasn't the question I was answering at all.

Tennessen, As I have stated before, my PC skills are very lacking, the only time I tried,(Unusal Chinese Holsters), I believe it was Steve who help post my photos from Photo bucket. I have sent a PM to CRITICALBASS who has not only seen my triangle "56," but also has one of his own with the same markings and we both agree if there were any markings on the left side of the slide they were removed with a rock! Left side of slide heavy scratches or grinder marks from the serations of slide to end. Beta Arms INC LA CA, serial number B0539, right side of slide Made in China by Norinco, Model 59 9x18mm. Left side of frame, triangle "56" and serial number. This pistol also has fixed sights, however, I believe they came with two different sights, one fixed and one adjustable. I also ask Criticalbass to post an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by TENNESSEEAN View Post
    I don't know, I've seen my share of Chinese maks and don't recall one like that. Pics might help.
    I recently sold mine, but can assure you that someone sanded the left side with probably 120 grit or so. Really rough. Blue was intense, darkest I have ever seen on a mak. Rear sight was the one with the tiny screws. Gun was about unfired, though I bought it from a pawn shop in OKC. My understanding was that these were military models that had been sanded off and remarked, reblued, and rear sight replaced. Can't prove it, but it makes sense. Else, why the sanding? Never considered it anything other than a Chinese commercial 9x18 Mak, but the military conversion theory is the only one that seems to have any credence. CB

I've asked this question before, why would they do this?
    Appalachain American

A few of the more advanced or long time collectors may have to help me on this reply, and disreguarding the rare Simsons and possibly Chinese .380acp Makarovs. I believe the first Makarovs to arrive in the US in LARGE NUMBERS were all military surplus, DDR/EG, Russian, Bulgarian, and Chinese, service a very short time. I know very little, in fact, zip point .... about the Russian adjustable sight Makarovs, however, I think they begain the importation after some of our new gun laws about sporting weapons. ..
    The Baikal IJ70's were imported in large numbers in the early 1990's. I bought mine in 1992.
    I believe the milsurp waves came later.

The hottest selling Maks currently, at the shows that I go to, are the East German version. (Note that Miltex, Russian bring-backs, and other very limited availability versions are not included as too few on the market to compare). Also, there was a blue Arsenal at the Houston show last weekend for $289 + sales tax; don't know if it sold.

One comment as to the price of the Miltex Mak, a friend of mine had a polished chrome version in 9mm Mak (Pearce grips and no box) on his table for the entire Tulsa show last November for $350 and it did not sale. I recently traded him a Tokarev for it as I had just acquired a green Miltex box.

Tennesseean, I have no idea what was one the left side of the slide. It is a question like why do we not see the Chinese military grips for sale, the grip with the shield and the stars?

And Teakwood, you may be correct,however I can remember the DDR/EGs for sale at the Oklahoma City & the largest gun show in the United States at Tulsa,Oklahoma long before I ever saw an adjustable sight Russian. The Russians were new and came in a box.

I can tell you what's on the left side of the slide on a SHI, serialk number right down at the bottom, same number that's on the frame, so why grind one off and not the other?
    Appalachain American

I have already stated I do not know why they did this. I have a Chinese that has these grinder markings, Criticalbass has seen mine and has stated he has owned one with them. You stated that you had been ask this question before, therefore I believe mine is probably is not the first one that you have encountered. For all I know it could be a RED CHINESE GIRL SCOUT marking. In my opening sentence of the reply that started this mess I stated "A FEW OF THE MORE ADVANCED OR LONG TIME COLLECTORS MAY HAVE TO HELP ME WITH THIS REPLY."." Does that sound as if my entire answer was engraved in stone? I did learn about the 380 Chinese Makarov, I have never seen one, or one for sale. I had no idea the Chinese made so many. Here's what I have. a very nice deep blue Chinese Makarov with grinder/heavy sanding scratches on the left side of the slide. Criticalbass also had one. Therefore let's change my thread answer from"Reworked & Blued Chinese" to "Chinese and Two With Grinder Marks In Oklahoma." And I do not believe I said anything about them being military. As a SUPER MODERATOR I consider you to be a Advanced & Long Time Collector, thank you for your help and service.

"I love you man! But your not gettin my Bud Light" old 1995 commercial, sorry. Good stimulating conversation, I think I want a Miltex now, never gave 'em much thought before.

high_caliber Guest

I know this thread has some age, but I just found and bought a Miltex Special Edition Makarov like the OP has pictured. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Teakwood View Post
    The Baikal IJ70's were imported in large numbers in the early 1990's. I bought mine in 1992.
    I believe the milsurp waves came later.
    I believe the Norincos came first around 1988/89. I have a magazine review article dating from about then. To my recollection, the East Germans were next... and I'm willing to admit that I'm wrong, but that's what I remember. They would have had to come in after the DDR ended in 1990. So maybe Baikal did beat them here?

High Caliber,welcome to the forum, if possible post photos of your new Miltex as we would enjoy seeing them. I own one myself.

Interesting, most of the web lists Miltex in LaPlata MD, but the slide says Waldorf (they are right next to each other in Charles County MD). IIRC, Miltex moved to a small commercial park just off Sub-Station Road along the railroad tracks just behind the MD State Police barracks.

Not sure if they are in business anymore, probably not.

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

high_caliber Guest

Pics for you all:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0537.JPG   IMG_0538.JPG   IMG_0541.JPG   IMG_0548.JPG   IMG_0551.JPG   IMG_0553.JPG  

IMG_0556.JPG  
    Last edited by high_caliber; 01-03-2012 at 08:46 PM.

I always enjoyed owning the few Miltex Maks that I did. I never shot them much at all, I always thought them as more a safe queen than I did a shooter. And what few safe queens I ever owned didn't last too long in my stable.

sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	dosizeth_1164918510miltex03.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	498141

$400. The finish is at least as good as typical DDR PM and it's chambered for more desirable .380ACP cartridge.

Except the 380 is not more desireable.
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by slavcio View Post
    $400. The finish is at least as good as typical DDR PM and it's chambered for more desirable .380ACP cartridge.
    You seem to prefer the .380 round. I believe most Makarov fans prefer 9X18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast