Default Question concerning value of Jap 7.63 Mauser vs. 8mm Nambu ammo

I recently wanted to add an example of an 8mm Nambu cartridge to my collection and purchased on line what was described as 9 original 8mm Nambu Japanese WWII cartridges plus 3 8mm Nambu reloads formed from 30/30. I received them today and what I got was not what was described.

I got 2 original Jap 8mm Nambu and the 3 reloads but the other 7 cartridges were longer. At first they looked like 7.62 TT but they were for sure Japanese as they had no headstamp and the 3 stab crimps. I have determined that they are 7.63 Mauser Jap WWII era cartridges. I did not sped a lot of money on these and am sure it was an honest mistake.

So, my question is this. Is the 7.63 Mauser Jap ammo about equal in value to the 8mm Nambu Jap ammo? If so, then I will just not even worry about the mistaken ID and keep it.

I appreciate your input. Thanks.

Pics added. The seven 7.63 rounds, the stripper clip they came on (original??) and one of the 8mm Nambu rounds for comparison are pictured. At first I thought these were 7.62 Tokarev rounds until I checked and the dimensions came out to the 7.63 mauser round. Any comments or statements would be appreciated as I really am out of my knowledge comfort zone on these. Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img-4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	393878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img-2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	393875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img-7.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	393879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img-6.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	393876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img-3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	393880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	393877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img-5.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	393874
    Last edited by mcgintyinmaine; 01-23-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Japanese 7,63 ammo was made for a small number of imported Subguns of the 1930s ( Solothurns and Bergmanns) and from 1937 onwards, for any captured M96 brooms and Chinese Subguns ( also Steyrs,Solothurns and Bergmans, Both European and Chinese made)

So in comparison with the 8mm Nambu, which was the Japanese Service Pistol and WW II Subgun round, the 7,63 made by Japan would be naturally rarer, also seeing that it was mostly used in China, and not in the wider Pacific Theatre ( although who knows exactly what was used where, except by diligent research and finding specimens?)

I would say that collectible, confirmed Japanese 7,63 is more valuable than 8mm Nambu, so you should be "in front".

Remember that some Chinese Plants ( whether under Japanese or Nationalist control,) also made 7,63 without headstamps...so a question still remains...Loose rounds may be difficult to ID definitely. An original full packet (Japanese Plant) would be helpful for cartridge comparison.

Regards,
    Doc AV
    AV Ballistics.

"An original full packet (Japanese Plant) would be helpful for cartridge comparison."

Has anyone actually ever reliably seen or documented Japanese 7.63 box or packet???
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Thank you for the info. I was really only looking for one cartridge of the 8mm Nambu to collect. I was not planning on shooting since I do not even own a Nambu. So, even though I did not get what was described it looks like I got a better deal than what was described as I can now add a 7.63 Mauser to the collection.

I will try and post pics of the cartridges later today.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    Has anyone actually ever reliably seen or documented Japanese 7.63 box or packet???
    Not to my knowledge. Ken Elk's ammo books don't have any package info either.
    I've never seen one of these rounds and I've been around plenty of Japanese cartridges.
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated
    The Borg

Quote Originally Posted by mcgintyinmaine View Post
    I will try and post pics of the cartridges later today.
    Please do!
    The Borg

I have a number of rounds in my collection, both 7.63 Mauser and 7.65 Luger, that have been identified as Japanese, but without seeing any right from a packet, it's tough to say the IDs are 100% correct.
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Pics added....

Sorry, but those are pre-1942 Soviet 7.62x25 Tokarev rounds on a Czech stripper clip.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Sorry for the confusion. Are these then collectable or should I just shoot these? And out of curiosity... how can you tell what they are by looking at them? What were the clues? Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    Sorry, but those are pre-1942 Soviet 7.62x25 Tokarev rounds on a Czech stripper clip.
    These rounds were not headstamped, just like Japanese rounds?
    The Borg

Bullet jacket and primer style are Soviet. The Soviets started making 7.62 Tokarev in the early 1930s, but their first headstamped examples are from 1942. Compare the bases of those rounds to the 8mm Nambo you have and you will see they are completely different. Just shoot'em up. They are corrosive, so clean accordingly.

Yes, the primer does seem to be a bit more flatter than the usual Japanese primers.

Thank you for the info. That is what I love about collecting this stuff... there is always more to learn, and luckily those who are willing to share their knowledge. Thanks again.