Default shooting corroded ammo

Is shooting ammo with green corrosion safe? My dad bought a crate of egyptian 7.62x54r and most of the rounds have green stuff on them.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pop_wm_607305.jpg  

Default green ammo

generally, no, it is not safe. That said, if you clean each case, and they appear in good shape after cleaning, and you shoot it in a bolt action with a good gas vent system and real good safety glasses, you can pretty eliminate your hazards. However, you may find you need a stuck case remover multiple times. Best bet is to disassemble it and reload it into solid safe cases.
    GWD

corrosion is an electrochemical process which causes metal loss and fatigue. As long as it is only "surface" oxidation/rust then you will probably be ok. Give it a good visual exam and look for pitting and holes. If you can wipe it off it's probably just superficial. Corrosion can be stopped by removing oxygen or blocking the pathway, e.g. cosmoline. I am no structural engineer so this is worth what you paid for it. zippo.
    good luck.

If theres no pitting or anything is it good? I would be shooting it in a 91/30
    its this he paid 150+ shipping
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/976927076..._Mixed_Lot.htm
    Last edited by ar41; 01-02-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Depending on How bad it is I shoot it..
    That being said I inspect the rounds and have limit to how much is OK but of course that is certainly a personal thing..
    I generally would fire a Couple rounds and inspect the cases for failures.. IF none are Found I shoot it up, but usually would stick with a Bolt gun for the task.. I'm not reloading it so I don't see a Problem..
    That being said a Couple years ago there was some FN 7.62 X 51 in 200 Rd cans out there (10 rds per little Plastic bundle/packet).. A number of guys noted that there was some corrosion present in some of the cans.. I have some that do and some that don't, however ALL of it has been pretty damn good ammo and I have had ZERO Failures or issues at all, and all of this has been shot in my FAL's..

I found one with rust around the primer. I wont shoot that. I'll look at each one before I shoot it. Do mosins have good gas systems?

Default AR 41

Always wear safety glasses when you shoot milsurp rifles and ammo.
    safety first
    gil

I always do. Its required at my range.

Quote Originally Posted by gil View Post
    Always wear safety glasses when you shoot milsurp rifles and ammo.
    safety first
    gil

Allow me to make a slight correction to the above:

Always wear safety glasses when you shoot.
    I carry three mags. The first one is to get me to cover. The second one is to put up a spirited defense. The third one is to get me back to where I left my rifle.

I would not dare use any of that 7.62x54r in your posted picture in any of my Mosins.

I might consider using it in an Enfield, if I had one, though, if it cleaned up and seemed OK as per others posts.

Edit: I am assuming that the loose rounds are the same as what are in the yellow boxes.
    Last edited by Alakablam; 01-03-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Added proviso
    EEG

Looking for these MN floorplates:

WTT+$ or WTB

its a mixed lot. the yellow boxes is 303 but loose ammo is 7.62x54r