Default Scope recommendations for AR-15.

Hello,
    Can anyone recommend a decent scope for an AR-15?? I am looking at the Nikon M-223 series with interest. Also, can a scope (not a red dot) be fitted to an AR-15 that has a fixed front sight? I can't remember if the front sight co-witnesses with a scope (it should be obvious right??) as it would with a red dot. I am not about to cut off the front sights on some of my ARs but just in case a future windfall happens my way
    Thank you!

On top of the world, looking down on creation

I just got a Nikon M-223 in 1-4x. I have it mounted but have not gone out to shoot yet. However, I can tell you its the best glass I've ever had on a rifle. I'm tempted to get their 2-8 for another AR I own.

Next, you will not have to remove the front sight or swap gas blocks above about 1.5x. You will not see a standard front AR sight through a magnified scope or optic. It disappears. On the rifle that I have my 1-4x on, I have a YHM flip down sight/gas block so I can use the 1x setting if I choose, but dialing in 2x, the sight (in the up position) disappears.
    Любишь сиськи много?_____________Nein Fräulein, das ist kein Leberwürst
    Да, мне нравится сиськи много. _____
    in der Tasche

Ok, I am going to order up the M-223 in 1-4x. That is a nice scope for the money and it comes in a "package" that includes the M-223 mount made for the scope. Thank you for your reply. I will mount it on a current Colt with a fixed front sight and wait until another AR without the front sight comes along.

You can get a 3/4 or 1inch riser from pretty much anywhere to attach to your flat top and raise the scope over the front site. They range from 20 -40 or so bucks most places. I traded for a leupold mark 4 40mm scope and with illuminated reticules and it is awesome. it has too many knobs, but it is like looking through a camera lense. I think that think is the apex of rifle scopes and as the military uses them, it will make the ar look like serious business.
    "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?

Thank you for your reply. I ended up with the Nikon M-223 2-8x with the BDC recticle. I got it as a kit from optics planet. I will see if I need a riser, may need a cheek piece then too, correct??

You won't need a riser. The front sight will not be visible at even your lowest setting, 2x.

Also, those cheek rests were only popular back when optics were mounted up high on the carry handle, ie. before we had flattop upper receivers.
    in der Tasche

i put leather, i stressed, stained treated to soften/color to redish M 14 pad, on my 223 Bushmaster. 24 inch barrel...HAVE TO HAVE THE RISER BECAUSE OF 3 X 15 X 56 GER. OPTICS bell. tack driver at two hundered.
    and it feels better against the face than the plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    HAVE TO HAVE THE RISER BECAUSE OF 3 X 15 X 56 GER. OPTICS bell.
    Couldn't you have just used higher rings???
    in der Tasche

Quote Originally Posted by doose View Post
    Hello,
    Can anyone recommend a decent scope for an AR-15?? I am looking at the Nikon M-223 series with interest. Also, can a scope (not a red dot) be fitted to an AR-15 that has a fixed front sight? I can't remember if the front sight co-witnesses with a scope (it should be obvious right??) as it would with a red dot. I am not about to cut off the front sights on some of my ARs but just in case a future windfall happens my way
    Thank you!
    doose, You didn't say if your rifle was a flat top or not. I found I had to use the riser like shuck's mentioned on my full stocked Rem. R-15. Extra high rings was not enough alone to make it comfortable to see through the scope. As far as optics go it's really up to how you use your rifle. I varmint hunt with mine so I have a 4-16x on it. I really don't get all this tactical and holograph sight stuff on rifles that have sub-moa accuracy potential. I guess to each his own. BTW: I think your 2-8x choice will be good all purpose combination and Nikon makes good stuff.
    Motor
    Last edited by Motor; 01-29-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: I hate leaving out words.

I'm looking real hard at the 2-8x for my 20" RR A4 upper and saw the package @ Opticsplanet also. I'll move my ACOG to my carbine. I am wondering how much difference the BDC reticle change would be between 55gr. VS 62gr. pills ? I also shoot 75grs. alot. I guess I'll send Nikon my ? and when I get a response I'll post it. When you get her PLEASE do a range report. Thanks, John.
    Vigilance in Living counteracts Stupidity in Dying
    Per Scintillam Flamma

Sorry Motor, I should clear it up. Yes, the AR that I am going to mount the Nikon on to is a Colt M4 "target" (a post ban rifle made into a "pre" ban rifle except minus the bayo lug). The A2 carry handle is removable and under it is a flat top picatinny with reference markings. I am going to mount the nikon with its M-223 mount on to the flat top with out any risers. I also have an RRA entry tactical with a "tactical carry handle". I may try that rifle if the Colt does not work out. I am hoping the M-223 mount will work fine without the need for any risers. I will post pics when I get the scope mounted. BTW the RRA is getting an Aimpoint Comp M2 with Larue mount that was a package deal from SKDTAC.com, not a bad price for both. Both the Colt and the RRA have fixed front post sights marked "F" which I can't remember why the F is important. Something about being compatible for red dot sights?? Thank you for the replies everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Stein View Post
    I just got a Nikon M-223 in 1-4x. I have it mounted but have not gone out to shoot yet. However, I can tell you its the best glass I've ever had on a rifle. I'm tempted to get their 2-8 for another AR I own.

Next, you will not have to remove the front sight or swap gas blocks above about 1.5x. You will not see a standard front AR sight through a magnified scope or optic. It disappears. On the rifle that I have my 1-4x on, I have a YHM flip down sight/gas block so I can use the 1x setting if I choose, but dialing in 2x, the sight (in the up position) disappears.
    Apparently those M-223 scopes in 1-4x are pretty popular, could not find many in stock at decent prices ($270-290).

I don't know if you guys ever tried counter sniper scopes but I'm going to put one on their 4-16x50 on the 24" AR I'm currently building. I have a Rem. 700 .30-06 that currently sports a counter sniper in 3-9x42 and it's crystal clear.

Hey doose. Dosn't the removable carry handle make it an A3?

Quote Originally Posted by John Crusher View Post
    I'm looking real hard at the 2-8x for my 20" RR A4 upper and saw the package @ Opticsplanet also. I'll move my ACOG to my carbine. I am wondering how much difference the BDC reticle change would be between 55gr. VS 62gr. pills ? I also shoot 75grs. alot. I guess I'll send Nikon my ? and when I get a response I'll post it. When you get her PLEASE do a range report. Thanks, John.
    John,
    Go to: http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes and look in the upper right corner for the "spot on" balistics match tab. Head in there and see what you find. I believe you can mix and match loads and the data will be there for you. I will be using this site when I get my set up from optics planet. Good luck. Range report from me in or about March. (range is frozen over and closed)

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    Hey doose. Dosn't the removable carry handle make it an A3?
    Probably, but Colt has this as a post ban rifle. It came with a "fixed" collapsable stock (which I swapped out with an RRA model) and muzzle brake device which I changed to a birdecage FH. All thats missing is the bayo lug. It does have the removable carry handle with adjustable rear sight. I am sure you are correct on the nomenclature of said piece. Colt was still in PC mode when they made this rifle.

Probably, but Colt has this as a post ban rifle. It came with a "fixed" collapsible stock (which I swapped out with an REA model) and muzzle brake device which I changed to a birdcage FAll that's missing is the bayo lug. It does have the removable carry handle with adjustable rear sight. I am sure you are correct on the nomenclature of said piece. Colt was still in PC mode when they made this rifle.
    doose, My question was real. I know more about home dentistry than I do AR's as far a different configurations go. I try to learn enough to keep mine functioning correctly. I have to say my Rem. VTR-15 is my first AR and has been my favorite rifle since I got it. That being said it's my least favorite to carry. All the sharp corners, metal and hard plastic and knobs plus I have bipods, make it very uncomfortable to carry against your body. I thought I had a later photo than this. The only difference is now it has a Badger Ord. Charge Handle latch.
    Motor

Motor,
    that looks like a nice set up. The only Remington I have is an 870 home defense shotgun. I want one of the .45s they have recently begun producing. Have fun with your R-15.

COULD GET IT CLOSER to the barrel with the riser, the highest rings farther away barrel shroud. both cleared it.

Sorry Motor, I should clear it up. Yes, the AR that I am going to mount the Nikon on to is a Colt M4 "target" (a post ban rifle made into a "pre" ban rifle except minus the bayo lug). The A2 carry handle is removable and under it is a flat top picatinny with reference markings. I am going to mount the nikon with its M-223 mount on to the flat top with out any risers. I also have an RRA entry tactical with a "tactical carry handle". I may try that rifle if the Colt does not work out. I am hoping the M-223 mount will work fine without the need for any risers. I will post pics when I get the scope mounted. BTW the RRA is getting an Aimpoint Comp M2 with Larue mount that was a package deal from SKDTAC.com, not a bad price for both. Both the Colt and the RRA have fixed front post sights marked "F" which I can't remember why the F is important. Something about being compatible for red dot sights?? Thank you for the replies everyone!!
    Was told a few years back that the "F" stood for forged.