Default Japanese? Chinese? VZ24

Is this VZ24 Japanese or Chinese? The kanji means "school". And I know it is different from the usual Japanese school marking which translates as "scholar".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails school.jpg  

Seems I remember those IDed to Japanese use, primarily by kanji-marked slings or documented to have been brought home from Japan after the war fell in the 35-65K SN range. Does yours?

No special markings other than the one character in front of the serial number on the stock. The word on Japanese VZ24 rifles is that the only way to identify them is by kanji painted on the sling or (rarely) painted on the stock. Or two western numbers, one above the other with a horizontal line between them, painted on the stock. No stock stamps have been reported to my knowledge.

The one character stamped on the stock is the same for either the Japanese or Chinese language.

The good condition of this rifle and the lack of big ugly stock stamps/brands suggests to me that it is Japanese. It does bother me that the school marking uses a different character than the standard Japanese school marking. But maybe one is school and the other is something like ROTC.

The serial shown on the stock is 54K range and P series. P series are known to be both Japanese and Chinese.

I believe it's a Japanese marking too. The Kanji 技 may well be from the Army Technical HQ (陸軍技術本部).

That was for an auction on Gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=213248002

I let it go because (1) I was not convinced I could prove Japanese use from that single marking and (2) I was watching another auction for a Slovak VZ24 that ended shortly after the Japanese VZ24: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=212476211

I let the Slovakian go also because I thought $1130.00 was too high for the condition. It would have needed severe restoration including a VZ24 stock (you could never find a Slovak stock) and unbending a bent bolt handle.

Win some, loose some. I should have gotten the Japanese VZ24 but I really wanted the Slovak VZ24 (at an acceptable price). I did not feel like I could afford both at the same time.

I won the VZ24 rifle in this thread. Here are closer pictures of the marking on the stock. The rifle has no Czech military markings (crown lion date etc.) only CZ factory markings ("Z" in a circle etc.) which is correct for rifles sold to other countries. Does the close up of the marking change anything in the previous translations?
    It is missing the cleaning rod, do any of you have an original rod, I would like to know if it is in the white or blued?

Gary

Nothing new to add, but my opinion is that the rifle is Japanese.

Almost all of my VZ24 cleaning rods are in the white but I have no way of knowing if any are original to the rifles.
    Last edited by geladen; 02-16-2011 at 01:43 PM.

I think Vz 24 rods are white as well. Originals are pretty tough to find because as luck would have it, the world is full or rodless Vz 24s. I lucked into mine at a random table at a random little show. There are reproductions but many arent correct for a variety of reasons.
    I'm broke, and I blame Imperial Japan.

The Kanji ( yes, it is Kanji, and not Han) is too well stamped to be Chinese; The Chinese stamps are actually usually hot-brands, and much larger. And as it doesn't have also "Min-Bin" markings ( Post Revolution Militia markings) this rifle was never in China, ( my assumption); besides the IJN, and several other units, the Vz24s were also issued to Higher level schools ( naval cadets?).

Any other comments or ideas?

Doc AV
    AV Ballistics.