Thread: How to replace the Lever on my 94

Default How to replace the Lever on my 94

I want to replace the lever on my Winchester 94 with one of the big loop "John Wayne" style.

How would I go about doing such?

I have never messed much (besides shooting and cleaning) any of my old winchesters but I am not gun stupid.

I shoot, take apart, clean and work on many of my other guns.

see: http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/parts/index.asp there is an Acrobat .pdf format file that includes exploded diagrams. Using the diagram, disassembly/reassembly is fairly intuitive - especially after you reassemble it. I've gone my entire life without tearing down any lever actions, but needed to replace a part on my 94 Ranger. Remove remove the bolt & everything touching the lever carrier, and you can easily remove the lever from the carrier.

As for the big ring lever, consider this: it works best in the movies, is difficult to stow in a gun case, and the coolness factor wears off after about 45 minutes, or when the range officer tells you to quit flippin' yer gun so's that the muzzle is spinning all over creation.

If you gotta have it, you gotta have it, but I tried one and it's a big pain to remove it after you tire of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AZshooter View Post
    see: http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/parts/index.asp there is an Acrobat .pdf format file that includes exploded diagrams. Using the diagram, disassembly/reassembly is fairly intuitive - especially after you reassemble it. I've gone my entire life without tearing down any lever actions, but needed to replace a part on my 94 Ranger. Remove remove the bolt & everything touching the lever carrier, and you can easily remove the lever from the carrier.

As for the big ring lever, consider this: it works best in the movies, is difficult to stow in a gun case, and the coolness factor wears off after about 45 minutes, or when the range officer tells you to quit flippin' yer gun so's that the muzzle is spinning all over creation.

If you gotta have it, you gotta have it, but I tried one and it's a big pain to remove it after you tire of it.

Thanks for the website.

As for the lever, I dont plan on flippin' it everywhere....or at all for that matter. I have 6 lever actions but none with the big loop. It will mainly just sit in the safe. Just want to have one with the big loop.

I just collect all types of guns. Most I shoot....but some rarely see the range.

If your 94 is a common post 64 and you are handy with the Gas and welder it is easy to cut and modify your leaver to what shape you wish.
    The only real use i could ever see for a large loop leaver is in very cold climates where thick gloves are worn, Each to there own though.
    Cheers chester.

Quote Originally Posted by chester. View Post
    If your 94 is a common post 64 and you are handy with the Gas and welder it is easy to cut and modify your leaver to what shape you wish.
    The only real use i could ever see for a large loop leaver is in very cold climates where thick gloves are worn, Each to there own though.
    Cheers chester.

Yeah. Very true. The 94 that I plan to put it on is a 94AE in .44mag. I have a few pre 64 ( I know this only cause they were my dads when younger, Im not real sure how to tell just by looking at them though) but this one will go on a somewhat newer one. I dont want to cut on the lever. I already have a couple of the large loops in the safe....might as well put one on a rifle.

If Burt Hartman was still here he could tell you by the s/#'s what were pre. 64's.
    I have the George Madis Winchester book here but it has been found his info is all over the place.
    Cheers chester.

It sounds as though you're set on making this conversion. I'll add my comments and give you a little encouragement.

First the comments: I agree completely with the other posters. I see no actual need for the larger lever. I know you want it and you said it's for a gun not going to be used. Why aren't you going to fire the Winchester? That's the purpose of a firearm. Give them all a workout every now and then, unless of course you own Winston Churchill's "broomhandle which would be a true collector's item!

Now the encouragement: It's been since the late 1960's since I took down my (pre-64) M94. But it was real easy and you can do this following the exploded drawings, etc..

Good luck!

Serial numbers below 2,700,000 are pre-64.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod WMG View Post
    It sounds as though you're set on making this conversion. I'll add my comments and give you a little encouragement.

First the comments: I agree completely with the other posters. I see no actual need for the larger lever. I know you want it and you said it's for a gun not going to be used. Why aren't you going to fire the Winchester? That's the purpose of a firearm. Give them all a workout every now and then, unless of course you own Winston Churchill's "broomhandle which would be a true collector's item!

Now the encouragement: It's been since the late 1960's since I took down my (pre-64) M94. But it was real easy and you can do this following the exploded drawings, etc..

Good luck!

Well it will be taken out from time to time. I have so many guns that some just see limited action. I am getting into reloading a bit more and that will ease the pocket book when it comes range time. I do alot of my shooting on rifles such as the Remington 700 and such for long range shooting.

I have always been partial to the old western styles guns though. I have a few six shooters and a few lever actions.
    I understand some of your concerns on the need for a larger loop but its really just a personal prefrence for this particular rifle. I have several Winchester Lever guns. I already have a couple of the large loops in the safe. Might as well put one on a rifle. Sure, it might not be the most practical thing to do but it surely dont hurt anything. I can always switch it back.
    I love to collect firearms of all types. This will take a rifle that I have several of and make it something different (even if just slightly).
    Thanks for all of your input. I enjoy hearing both sides of the fence.