Default 2nd model Colt 1860 Army

Today I picked up a cased 2nd gernation Colt 1860 Army Colt revolver with accessories. It is 1 of 500, never fired and supposedly the cylinder has never been turned. Today I was scouring the internet to find out about these guns. I am trying to find out when Colt started making the 2nd and 3rd generation models. I'd really like to find a source that identifies the year built by serial number. I know that I can pay Colt for a letter, but for now am not wanting to do that.

I can't seem to find anything about these revolvers. I know Colt made many of their different models in 2nd and 3 generations.

I have a number of reproduction Colts, but they are all Italian. It is my undderstanding that Uberti made most of the parts to Colts spec and then they were assembled in the US.

Thanks ahead of time. I am confident that there is a Colt expert on this list who can help me out.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

From Second Ed Colt DOM book:

1860 Army Model 11835 made 1978-1984, S/N range 201000-212835. And
    1860 Army Model 1994-2002 by Colt Black Powder Arms Co. S/N range not stated - these are, i think, the "Signature models".

Blue book has a Black Powder book that contains a lot more information, and i think more S/N information. It covers not only Colt but many other BP reproductions and modern BP guns. And has pricing data....
    Last edited by Clyde; 02-21-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typo
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Clyde, thanks for the information. I am going to have to get a copy of the Blue Book. Keep putting it off. =)

Going by your info I am guessing this one was made around the earily 8o's.

I am not sure I will be able to keep from shooting it. Do you have a feel how that might affect the value down the road? It is hard for me to have a gun that just sits in a safe

Post some pics!

T
    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
    - Thomas Jefferson

Not a single one of my guns shot anybody yesterday, or the day before that. I guess my guns just aren't the "bad" ones.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by TLJack View Post
    Clyde, thanks for the information. I am going to have to get a copy of the Blue Book. Keep putting it off. =)

Going by your info I am guessing this one was made around the earily 8o's.

I am not sure I will be able to keep from shooting it. Do you have a feel how that might affect the value down the road? It is hard for me to have a gun that just sits in a safe
    My observation has been that shooting a BP gun, especially a revolver, tends to degrade the collector's value significantly. Sort of like the Winchester factory commemmoratives - take it out, shoot it, peel significant dollars off. Which is one of the reasons i don't collect such guns. How much - well, that really depends.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Clyde is absolutely correct.

The so-called second genration Colts and the signature series have, at least in some areas a significant collector value. They are excellent revolvers in all respects ( at least the ones I owned were just beautiful ), very nicely fitted and finished. I kept two for collector purposes and shot the living daylights out of the third. This one shot as good as it looked ( an 1860 Army-my favorite ) and I still shoot it on occasion. The other two, another 1860 army " signature " and a Dragoon are not fired and just sit in their cases. I imagine one day I will sell my two cased models and buy some other guns that I can shoot without degrading their value. For what it is worth- Joe

001.JPGClick image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	400467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	400466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	400465

I am not a very good photographer but these will give you an idea.

the wonderful thing about the 2nd gen Colts, unlike the 3rd gen "Signature Series" pistols, is the serial numbers were "booked" at the factory. For a reasonable fee, Colt will give you a factory letter for your serial number. If the pistol is unfired, and especially if the cylinder is not ringed, I would never fire it. It is a collectible that will become just I nice shooter once fired. Buy a repro and bang away. Cabelas has them for $229 new. My .02

HTH

Thanks for the input. I do have a number of reproductions and I shoot them weekly. This gun is not ringed and supposedly never even turned. All I have done to it is carefully taken it apart enough to oil it. It will remain unfired as long as I own it. I have a lead on a cased, matched set of 2nd generation, unfired, Navy's. One is Robert E Lee and the other is US Grant. From what I have been able to find this set is one of he most sought after. Only 250 were made.

I have a second series Walker, serial #1816, bought back in 1988 at a gun show here in yUK. I also bought a tin of Joyce #26 caps at the same table. I made a case for it and its accessories. I'll send Clyde some pix.......

I'm mortified to admit that I bought it to shoot, rather than dribble over. Here in yUK you have to have serious $$$ to collect a Section 1 firearm and not shoot it. Failure to do so for an extended period will most certainly get your license revoked.

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund
    I am an international Gunboards patron

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

I recently sold a double cased set of Armys with a shoulder stock unfired on GB. Had it listed for 8 weeks and it finally sold for $1200.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cavalry1.jpg  
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

Look like a nice pair! Would like to own them. I would prefer to own originals but can not afford them.

I pray our country does not come to that point. Sorry yours has as it is a great nation.....................=(

001.JPGClick image for larger version. 

Name:	003.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	400467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	400466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	400465

I am not a very good photographer but these will give you an idea.
    Phot's make all the difference.

Jack, you have a Colt #F1202CTF, Colt, 1860 1 of 500 limited Edition. You should have a gold plated buckle, "stand of flags" flask, 2 cavity mold and the gold velvet, french fit, black lacquer case.

NIB=1250
    100%=1000
    98%=750

Being a 1 of 500 I would not shoot this one. If you have all the shipping boxes and papers hold on to them. They are worth $$$ toward the value. I would treat it with Eezox and display it.

here is it's little sister

1862 Pocket in same style case.

Mine has basicly what yours does and a Colt lapel pin. I have posted a crude picture above. Unfortuantely I do not have the shipping box or any papers. The gun is absolutely mint. Not even the slighest mark of any kind on it. I plan to keep it as a safe queen.

Default Definitive Source on Colt Percussion 2nd and 3rd generation re-issues

Today I picked up a cased 2nd gernation Colt 1860 Army Colt revolver with accessories. It is 1 of 500, never fired and supposedly the cylinder has never been turned. Today I was scouring the internet to find out about these guns. I am trying to find out when Colt started making the 2nd and 3rd generation models. I'd really like to find a source that identifies the year built by serial number. I know that I can pay Colt for a letter, but for now am not wanting to do that.

I can't seem to find anything about these revolvers. I know Colt made many of their different models in 2nd and 3 generations.

I have a number of reproduction Colts, but they are all Italian. It is my undderstanding that Uberti made most of the parts to Colts spec and then they were assembled in the US.

Thanks ahead of time. I am confident that there is a Colt expert on this list who can help me out.
    The definitive source is Dennis Russell's Percussion Colt Revolvers--The Second Generation Collector's Handbook & Price Guide (#6) published by Jared Press, Marietta, GA