Default Building a 308 Mauser K98

So I have a lot of 7.62x51.....a lot

I currently have a Garand and Ishapore all chambered for the same round. Samco has K98's for $220ish and I was thinking of adding another rifle to my collection without getting into a new caliber. Cole distributing has the Norwegian 308 conversion barrels for $100 and I was wondering how hard it would be to remove the sights and place them on the new barrel?

In my humble opinion, you may be better off setting the original barrel and receiver aside and find a lone receiver. There's some for sale on the trader now and then. at least you keep the original gun intact and retain some collector value. were you intending to keep the rest of the stock intact? Not familiar with how those barrels drop in.
    Not really looking for anything...

I thought they were out of czech mausers at samco? Mo
    As iron sharpens iron so does one man sharpen another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Mauser View Post
    I thought they were out of czech mausers at samco? Mo
    They were back last time I checked. At least the website says so.
    Not really looking for anything...

You'll have to get a gunsmith to transfer the sights over to the new barrel. If you want a match grade barrel, look up Lothar Walther. They make new .mil contour barrels in a few calibers, one of which is .308.
    I put the pole in the hole.

The Coles barrels are decent. I have not shot one for group yet, but I have a feeling they were turned down from the 27.5" Target barrels because the chamber end is parkerized and the rest of the barrel is in the white.

However, you will have to re-cut the breach face so the shoulders contact at the same time. The two I have done both needed this.

Then you will have to finish ream to proper headspace.

Timing and soldering the sights is easy enough, but you may have to adjust the outside diameter to match your parts.

Also, of the four I've ordered, two will need a better crown cut. They were not properly radiused.

Why not buy an Israeli K98... already 308. I am sure the ones in the US are not ALL junk (OK, in Australia, we got 90% at least of the excellent to new ones back in the late 1970's because of US GCA 68)
    I'm Lewie the Fly...

There is a guy on gunbroker selling his services in mounting 308 barrels on 98 actions. I think the barrel is included.. you can pm me for the address...

Quote Originally Posted by Vulch View Post
    Why not buy an Israeli K98... already 308. I am sure the ones in the US are not ALL junk (OK, in Australia, we got 90% at least of the excellent to new ones back in the late 1970's because of US GCA 68)
    ... and there are plenty in the batch of Israeli K's that came out of Central America that could use a new barrel from what I have seen.
    "THIS WE'LL DEFEND!"

i agree look for a 98 israeli in 308,i have two,a dot 45 rebuild and a FN. both are early imports and in next to ex condition. the FN 98 is the better shooter of the two with calvin surplus ammo, a honest 1-2 inch group shooter at 100yds. eastbank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 1032.jpg  

Looks like a subject to post in the Workbench Forum, as well.
    Looking for an old powder horn with the name John Stewart carved into it. Contact me if you've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulch View Post
    Why not buy an Israeli K98... already 308.
    I agree. There are some very nice examples floating around in the US. The advantage of using an IDF K98k is that they're still a standard service rifle - but in 308.
    Life is best viewed over the rim of a latte bowl.