Default Chinese sks 20 round mags

Found a couple at a pawn shop at $45 each. These are the fixed 20 round sks mags with the big star on the side. First time I've come across any. Good deal on these? I have a sinking feeling I should have snagged them. Denny

Most do not function 100%.

Planning on shooting down a "Yankee Sky Pirate"?

I too have read and heard about them not functioning well many times. I guess I just got lucky because the one I pick up here on the boards functions just fine on my chinese SKS. As to the price, thats about typical for what I see them go for.
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. - Theodore Roosevelt

All 8 of mine have functioned fine with no modifications at all.
    Looking for SAMCO Mosin Nagant sniper bolt #7079, I have bolt #2773

Looking for SAMCO Mosin Nagant sniper buttplate and magazine #2250

Looking for Albie SKS bolt #07119

I sold one to a gentleman here on the forums with a return if it didn't work well. It did not, so I will refund the man his $45.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Planning on shooting down a "Yankee Sky Pirate"?

I don't know what a Yankee Sky Pirate is. Please explain

Planning on building a bejing typewriter ?

I had them before and could get no more than

16 rounds in them .

Fiveshot

I thought these were hard to find....guess not

Quote Originally Posted by FIVESHOT View Post
    Planning on building a bejing typewriter ?

I had them before and could get no more than

16 rounds in them

Fiveshot
    What kind of ammo were you using?

They show up regularly on the trader.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

Denny .

Those 20 round pot metal

fixed sks mags simply dont

work . You know it , i know

it , bob dole knows it .

Fiveshot

Quote Originally Posted by FIVESHOT View Post
    Denny .

Those 20 round pot metal

fixed sks mags simply dont

work . You know it , i know

it , bob dole knows it .

Fiveshot
    Bob Dole?????? I dont know where I got the idea these were a "find"....old age I guess. Denny

''w i n k''

FIVESHOT

I have three of them. They are all junk. They don't even make good door stops.

The trick to getting reliable functioning with a "Red Star" 20-rd. box mag is pretty simple: Make the feed path identical to that of the original 10-rd. mag. This can take some effort to accomplish, but it does work. I've used this method on at least half-a-dozen different carbines and it's been 100% effective.

Those 10-rd. factory boxes are serial numbered for a reason: They have been fitted and/or adjusted during the assembly process to function correctly in that particular carbine. Manufacturing tolerances are inherently present to some degree in every machine and those can, and quite often do, differ significantly with the relative condition and sophistication of the manufacturing equipment a facility has to work with and skill level of its workers. IMO, it's pretty naive and unrealistic to expect that every random part should be a drop-in fit for every SKS, even if it happens to have the same country of origin. In China alone, how many different outfits, from huge government arsenal/factories to little one-room subcontractors (usually on a "piecework" basis and with rudimentary tooling), do you think have been involved in the making of SKS carbines over the last half-century or so?

$45 may well be the going rate, but it'd have to be brand-new and pristine before I'd pay that for one. If some ham-handed Bubba has already messed with it, it's very likely to have been rendered irreparable, IME.

Also only MO, but just because you can't figure out a way to make something work correctly doesn't warrant the blanket dismissal of an entire part genre as "junk". It can be surprising what some skull sweat and little elbow grease can accomplish, if you're up to the challenge.

I've swapped-out different stock, 10rd. mags without any fitting or any hickups.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Mo D View Post
    I sold one to a gentleman here on the forums with a return if it didn't work well. It did not, so I will refund the man his $45.
    Cool Mo D is a fine gentleman. Very representative of Gunboards.com Forum Members!! That is why I "hang out" here. Thanks, Max!......DesertDave

Quote Originally Posted by Claddagh View Post
    The trick to getting reliable functioning with a "Red Star" 20-rd. box mag is pretty simple: Make the feed path identical to that of the original 10-rd. mag. This can take some effort to accomplish, but it does work. I've used this method on at least half-a-dozen different carbines and it's been 100% effective.

Those 10-rd. factory boxes are serial numbered for a reason: They have been fitted and/or adjusted during the assembly process to function correctly in that particular carbine. Manufacturing tolerances are inherently present to some degree in every machine and those can, and quite often do, differ significantly with the relative condition and sophistication of the manufacturing equipment a facility has to work with and skill level of its workers. IMO, it's pretty naive and unrealistic to expect that every random part should be a drop-in fit for every SKS, even if it happens to have the same country of origin. In China alone, how many different outfits, from huge government arsenal/factories to little one-room subcontractors (usually on a "piecework" basis and with rudimentary tooling), do you think have been involved in the making of SKS carbines over the last half-century or so?

$45 may well be the going rate, but it'd have to be brand-new and pristine before I'd pay that for one. If some ham-handed Bubba has already messed with it, it's very likely to have been rendered irreparable, IME.

Also only MO, but just because you can't figure out a way to make something work correctly doesn't warrant the blanket dismissal of an entire part genre as "junk". It can be surprising what some skull sweat and little elbow grease can accomplish, if you're up to the challenge.
    Mo and I both had a gunsmith work on it. My Chinese SKS, a /26\ Jianshe works perfect with several different Chinese 10-rounders and three different brand 30-rounders, so I have to say that at best, they are "finicky". This 20-round Star looks flawless/perfect (un-Bubba), it fit my SKS without any hand-fitting but it fed every which way. I never could get more than 3 or 4 rounds off w/o a big jam. If you have a combo with a Star, good for you! They do look "neat"!!....DesertDave

For a fraction of the price, I gathered up a lifetime supply of SKS strippers. They're only for folks with elemental hand-eye coordination, so they may not be for the hi-cap mag seekers, but more ammo can be carried a lor easier than with the aftermarket mags...