Thread: Ballester Molina .22 caliber price check

Default Ballester Molina .22 caliber price check

I was offered a Ballester Molina, .22 caliber pistol. Dont remember the exact markings, but it looked like a regular Ballester Molina .45 caliber pistol that was later modified and markings added accordingly. It was not in great condition, I would rate at about 70-75%. Asking price $500. I have no clue what these are going for. Thanks

Victor

If its a .45 modified and markings added the pistol has not much value, because it could also be a Bubba job of unknown origin,AFAIK there were no .45's modified to 22 by responsible workshops in Argentina-It could well be an original.22 BM, manufactured in that caliber around 1950, if you post a pic I'll be more than happy to help you-
    I am an international Gunboards patron

I will go back tomorrow and take some pictures. It did not look like a “Bubba” job to me, but who knows. The guy selling it said that you could actually shoot 45 or .22, by just switching magazines, barrels and removing a small block with slided into the bolt’s face area?? hmm

The slide of the original .22 BM in good only for rimfire-If ithe slide is good for both calbers its new to me, I cant imagine how will the firing pin be capable of striking both the rimfire and the centerfire ammo-
    I am an international Gunboards patron

The fact that the Ballester-Molina has a "block" in the slide, it indicates that it is a caliber .45 pistol that was converted to caliber .22 LR. Two Argentinean companies modified a number of Ballester-Molina caliber .45 pistols to caliber .22 LR for the Buenos Aires Police and for the Argentine Air Force. These conversion programs were undertaken by two companies that at the time were working in the firearms business, Industrias Marcati and Establecimientos Venturini. Although I have not seen the pistol described on the OP, due to the mention of a block in the slide I dare to state that it was converted by Industrias Marcati. Pictures or at least a transcription of the markings will be used to confirm this statement. The conversion undertaken by Industrias Marcati is such that a converted pistol will not fire the .45 cartridge unless the barrel, complete slide, mainspring, magazine and ejector are replaced by those of an unmodified caliber .45 pistol. If the pistol has been modified by Establecimientos Venturni, all the components listed above must be used with the exception of the ejector. The issue of usign a caliber . 45 slide to fire a caliber .22 LR and viceversa is three fold. As stated by Raul, the first issue is that the .45 cartridge is centerfire and the .22 LR cartridge is rimfire. A firing pin cannot strike both types of cartridges. The second issue is that of the extractor. If its location is such that can extract a case .22" in diameter, it will hit the case of the .45 cartridge. If the extractor can latch in the groove of a case .45" in diameter, it will not latch the rim of a case .22" in diameter. Finally, a similiar situation applies to the ejector. If the ejector is able to strike a case .45" in diameter it will not strike a case .22" in diameter, and the ejector for the .22 case will not work properly with the .45 case. This last issue does not apply to the Establecimientos Venturini conversion because the caliber .45 ejector remains in place.