Types of Makarovs

Thread: Types of Makarovs

Exclamation Types of Makarovs

Originally posted by George @ makarov.com

Russian
    *First Model Pistolet Makarova (PM) with frame cut out at top of triggerguard
    *Pistolet Makarova (PM) (IZH manufactor)
    *Pistolet Makarova (PM) (Tula Manufactor, which I had not seen until one showed up in a previous post today)
    *Pistolet Makarova, Modernized (PMM, hicap frame, fluted chamber for use with High Pressure 9x18 Ammo)
    *IZH-70 (Same as IJ70, early model designation)
    *IJ70 (8rd Commerical Model, 9x18 with "Fake" PMM type grip, Adjustable rear sight)
    *IJ70-17A (.380 ACP, 8rd Commerical Model with Adjustable rear sight)
    *IJ70-17AS (.380 ACP, 8rd Commerical Model, Adjustable sight, Satin Nickel Finish)
    *IJ70-17AH (.380 ACP, HiCap Commerical Model, Adjustable Rear Sight)
    *IZH71-17 (.380 ACP, HiCap with fixed rear sight, none known to have been imported to USA)
    *IJ70-18A (9x18, 8rd Commerical Model with Adjustable rear sight)
    *IJ70-18AS (9x18, 8rd Commerical Model, Adjustable sight, Satin Chrome Finish)
    *IJ70-18AH (9x18, HiCap Commerical Model, Adjustable rear sight)
    *IZH71-18 (9x18, HiCap with fixed rear sight, none known to have been imported to USA)
    *Bakial 442 Sporting Pistol, 8rd, 10rd or 12rd versions, in 9x18, Modern version of the PMM, with squared triggerguard and push button magazine release. None Known imported to the USA
    *Bakial MP654K, Co2 BB version of the PMM
    *Bakial MP654KS, Satin Chrome version of the CO2 BB PMM
    *Bakial MP-471, Version of the Makarov that fires 10mm rubber bullets only, None Known imported to the USA
    *Bakial IZH-79-9T, Version of the Makarov that fires 9mm Gas or rubber bullets only. None Known imported to the USA

German
    *Pistole M, 9x18 Standard Version of the PM, East German
    *Pistole Mk, .380 ACP Experimental version of the PM (only two known to have been made)
    *Simson-Suhl Makarov, Post Unification made German Makarov

Chinese
    *Type 59, Military version of the Makarov
    *Norinco Sporting Pistol, Commerical Export version of the Makarov

Bulgarian
    *"Factory 10" marked Military version Makarov, 9x18, 8rd version only
    *"Factory 10" Made, Military Export model, normally does not have Factory 10 mark, S/N code system does not always match normal Bulgarian Coding system. A few of these have turned up from Mid-East.
    *"Factory 10" with Chrome plating, believed to be for Navy (Black Sea Navy) Issue
    *Miltex Special Edition (SE), High Gloss Blue, 9x18
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Gloss Blue, 9x18, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Gloss Blue, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Satin Nickel, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Satin Nickel, 9x18, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel, 9x18, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, 9x18, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Polish Blued Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Polish Blued Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, 9x18, squared triggerguard
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, may or maynot also have Miltex logo on slide. 9x18, Blued.
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, may or maynot also have Miltex logo on slide. .380 ACP, Blued.
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, 9x18, Gray Parkarized Finish.
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, 9x18 Matte Blued (Model P-M01)
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, .380 ACP Matte Blued (Model P-M01)
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, 9x18 Satin Chrome (Model P-M01)
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, 9x18 Polished Chrome (Model P-M01)

Must have missed some, but that should be about 90% of them.

-George
    Last edited by makarovdotcom; 03-03-2008 at 06:09 AM. Reason: More models added
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

Default Khyber Pass Makarovs

Should guns from the Khyber Pass region be considered a version??? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Should guns from the Khyber Pass region be considered a version??? Thanks
    I vote yes.
    "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."
    Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Default This Arsenal should be on the list for sure

Of course, I know where (3) of these pistols reside, but the other (17) is unknown to me. But should these not be on the list? There were 20 made as special edition presentation pieces. I would think it would be interesting to find out where they all went.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01893 [1024x768].jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	424455
    Timbo
    Last edited by Timbo; 04-27-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Picture moved

Pic courtesy of videodon

The above shown SA01 mark should be on every stainless steel IJ70-17AS. If your IJ70-17AS has this mark, it does not necessarily mean the pistol is stainless steel rather than nickel plated, but if the marking itself is bright, not dark, it is a good indication the pistol is stainless. -- info courtesy of gfisher & looter

SlimTim
    Last edited by SlimTim; 09-06-2009 at 07:34 PM.
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

S.T.,
    I moved my pic hosting.
    Also, the SA01 mark is on my 17-AH too
    so I don't believe it's a stainless thing only.

Here's my 17-AS...

...and my 17-AH...

видеодон

The Norinco 59 was also made in .380.

Quote Originally Posted by dondone View Post
    The Norinco 59 was also made in .380.
    its known here in the philippines as the NP-19

Default What model is this one? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTim View Post
    Originally posted by George @ makarov.com

Russian
    *First Model Pistolet Makarova (PM) with frame cut out at top of triggerguard
    *Pistolet Makarova (PM) (Tula Manufactor, which I had not seen until one showed up in a previous post today)
    *Pistolet Makarova, Modernized (PMM, hicap frame, fluted chamber for use with High Pressure 9x18 Ammo)
    *IZH-70 (Same as IJ70, early model designation)
    *IJ70 (8rd Commerical Model, 9x18 with "Fake" PMM type grip, Adjustable rear sight)
    *IJ70-17A (.380 ACP, 8rd Commerical Model with Adjustable rear sight)
    *IJ70-17AS (.380 ACP, 8rd Commerical Model, Adjustable sight, Satin Nickel Finish)
    *IJ70-17AH (.380 ACP, HiCap Commerical Model, Adjustable Rear Sight)
    *IZH71-17 (.380 ACP, HiCap with fixed rear sight, none known to have been imported to USA)
    *IJ70-18A (9x18, 8rd Commerical Model with Adjustable rear sight)
    *IJ70-18AS (9x18, 8rd Commerical Model, Adjustable sight, Satin Chrome Finish)
    *IJ70-18AH (9x18, HiCap Commerical Model, Adjustable rear sight)
    *IZH71-18 (9x18, HiCap with fixed rear sight, none known to have been imported to USA)
    *Bakial 442 Sporting Pistol, 8rd, 10rd or 12rd versions, in 9x18, Modern version of the PMM, with squared triggerguard and push button magazine release. None Known imported to the USA
    *Bakial MP654K, Co2 BB version of the PMM
    *Bakial MP654KS, Satin Chrome version of the CO2 BB PMM
    *Bakial MP-471, Version of the Makarov that fires 10mm rubber bullets only, None Known imported to the USA
    *Bakial IZH-79-9T, Version of the Makarov that fires 9mm Gas or rubber bullets only. None Known imported to the USA

German
    *Pistole M, 9x18 Standard Version of the PM, East German
    *Pistole Mk, .380 ACP Experimental version of the PM (only two known to have been made)
    *Simson-Suhl Makarov, Post Unification made German Makarov

Chinese
    *Type 59, Military version of the Makarov
    *Norinco Sporting Pistol, Commerical Export version of the Makarov

Bulgarian
    *"Factory 10" marked Military version Makarov, 9x18, 8rd version only
    *"Factory 10" Made, Military Export model, normally does not have Factory 10 mark, S/N code system does not always match normal Bulgarian Coding system. A few of these have turned up from Mid-East.
    *"Factory 10" with Chrome plating, believed to be for Navy (Black Sea Navy) Issue
    *Miltex Special Edition (SE), High Gloss Blue, 9x18
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Gloss Blue, 9x18, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Gloss Blue, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Satin Nickel, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Satin Nickel, 9x18, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel, 9x18, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, 9x18, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Polish Blued Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
    *Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Polish Blued Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, 9x18, squared triggerguard
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, may or maynot also have Miltex logo on slide. 9x18, Blued.
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, may or maynot also have Miltex logo on slide. .380 ACP, Blued.
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, 9x18, Gray Parkarized Finish.
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, 9x18 Matte Blued (Model P-M01)
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, .380 ACP Matte Blued (Model P-M01)
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, 9x18 Satin Chrome (Model P-M01)
    *Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, 9x18 Polished Chrome (Model P-M01)

Must have missed some, but that should be about 90% of them.

-George
    Any help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Makarov 001.jpg   Makarov 003.jpg  

I believe yours is this one.

Quote Originally Posted by videodon View Post
    S.T.,
    I moved my pic hosting.
    Also, the SA01 mark is on my 17-AH too
    so I don't believe it's a stainless thing only.
    I don't think the "SA" codes have anything to do with stainless either.

The owner's manual for my Russian TOZ-78 .22 carbine has the logo and "SA 02" printed on the cover. Manual says it's a code for the "certifying body". The logo that it's beneath is that of a Russian consumer product testing agency. It appears on all sorts of Russian guns & ammo that are sold on the civilian market.

I have a question on markings of a made in bulgarian makarov:

Just purchased it. A walk in from a local gun shop.
    Does the year it was manufactured have any significance?
    NM 25 1994
    Which I believe means that it was made in 1985. Significance for price and quality?

Interestingly another Makarov had
    a code date of "16" which means that it was made in 1976. Any significance here, too?
    And, the number following that was 098. Does this number mean that it was
    the 98th gun in that series? This gun was significantly more expensive...somewhat due
    to three mags and two holsters that are part of the package. Also, it had nice red grips.
    Last edited by wphill; 05-15-2012 at 03:24 PM.

I just bought a Bulgarian Makarov on Friday. While I have a P64 and a CZ82, I know they aren't true Mak's. This is my first. I have an Arsenal with a gloss blue finish. The label on the slide seems to be scribed in, and not stamped. Think of tiny dots forming words. The right side says D.I.G. VA., BCH. VA., and my serial number with the date code "37". I realize that means 1997. The left side says mod. MAKAROV cal. 9x18 Aarsenal Made in Bulgaria. There is no other markings, including a circle 10 or miltex. It also has the black grips with the thumb rest. Does this mean it's an Arsenal sporting model without the Miltex? Are the side banners normally done looking like they were done using a scriber? I paid $275 for it, and the finish is near perfect. How did I do? And is this Mak rare? Or not so rare? It came with 2 mags. a flap type holster, with the lifting strap and a cleaning rod. Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	788 
Size:	316.6 KB 
ID:	866804
    Last edited by Bafflingbs; 02-15-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Views:	50 
Size:	313.5 KB 
ID:	866805

Views:	57 
Size:	292.6 KB 
ID:	866807

Baff: I think you did alright, price-wise. What you've got is an Arsenal commercial model. I think '97 is pre-Miltex. I have a '99 Arsenal, post-Miltex. Meaning it has the squared trigger guard, which I'm assuming is a leftover feature from the Miltex runs of pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Looter View Post
    Baff: I think you did alright, price-wise. What you've got is an Arsenal commercial model. I think '97 is pre-Miltex. I have a '99 Arsenal, post-Miltex. Meaning it has the squared trigger guard, which I'm assuming is a leftover feature from the Miltex runs of pistols.
    Thanks for such a quick response, Looter. I appreciate your time.
    Last edited by Bafflingbs; 02-15-2015 at 03:56 PM.

Could we expand it to include the other Makarov round-shooting pistols and whatnots? You know, so we have a shopping list...

Can anyone tell me into which category my [AIM-acquired] Bulgarian would fit (no circle-10 mark anywhere)? Here is my guess (but I'm too much of a newb to have confidence) - Thanks !

*"Factory 10" Made, Military Export model, normally does not have Factory 10 mark, S/N code system does not always match normal Bulgarian Coding system. A few of these have turned up from Mid-East."

Name:	IMG_20151230_192349.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	430.2 KB 
ID:	970866

Quote Originally Posted by nieuport View Post
    Can anyone tell me into which category my [AIM-acquired] Bulgarian would fit (no circle-10 mark anywhere)? Here is my guess (but I'm too much of a newb to have confidence) - Thanks !

*"Factory 10" Made, Military Export model, normally does not have Factory 10 mark, S/N code system does not always match normal Bulgarian Coding system. A few of these have turned up from Mid-East."

Name:	IMG_20151230_192349.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	430.2 KB 
ID:	970866

What is the lever on the grip for?

Bill

That's a mag drop on the after market grip I added (works great it's called "Fab Defense - Makarov PM\PPM 9x18 Handle w/ Built-In Magazine Release PM-G")
    Last edited by nieuport; 01-02-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Made in Tula Makarov. Of course, it not mine. Just a picture from internet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Makarov Tula.jpg  
    1."Кто не с нами,-тот против нас.
    Если враг не сдается,- его уничтожают"- Максим Горький.
    2. We’ll go after terrorists wherever they are — at an airport – O.K, at an airport. If we find them in a toilet, in an outhouse, we’ll do them in right there. That is all. Case is closed.
    "..Мы будем преследовать террористов везде. В аэропорту — в аэропорту. Значит, Вы уж меня извините, в туалете поймаем, мы и в сортире их замочим, в конце концов. Всё, вопрос закрыт окончательно."- В. Путин.