Gunboards Forums banner

Types of Makarovs

76K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  max popenker 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Originally posted by George @ makarov.com

Russian
*First Model Pistolet Makarova (PM) with frame cut out at top of triggerguard
*Pistolet Makarova (PM) (IZH manufactor)
*Pistolet Makarova (PM) (Tula Manufactor, which I had not seen until one showed up in a previous post today)
*Pistolet Makarova, Modernized (PMM, hicap frame, fluted chamber for use with High Pressure 9x18 Ammo)
*IZH-70 (Same as IJ70, early model designation)
*IJ70 (8rd Commerical Model, 9x18 with "Fake" PMM type grip, Adjustable rear sight)
*IJ70-17A (.380 ACP, 8rd Commerical Model with Adjustable rear sight)
*IJ70-17AS (.380 ACP, 8rd Commerical Model, Adjustable sight, Satin Nickel Finish)
*IJ70-17AH (.380 ACP, HiCap Commerical Model, Adjustable Rear Sight)
*IZH71-17 (.380 ACP, HiCap with fixed rear sight, none known to have been imported to USA)
*IJ70-18A (9x18, 8rd Commerical Model with Adjustable rear sight)
*IJ70-18AS (9x18, 8rd Commerical Model, Adjustable sight, Satin Chrome Finish)
*IJ70-18AH (9x18, HiCap Commerical Model, Adjustable rear sight)
*IZH71-18 (9x18, HiCap with fixed rear sight, none known to have been imported to USA)
*Bakial 442 Sporting Pistol, 8rd, 10rd or 12rd versions, in 9x18, Modern version of the PMM, with squared triggerguard and push button magazine release. None Known imported to the USA
*Bakial MP654K, Co2 BB version of the PMM
*Bakial MP654KS, Satin Chrome version of the CO2 BB PMM
*Bakial MP-471, Version of the Makarov that fires 10mm rubber bullets only, None Known imported to the USA
*Bakial IZH-79-9T, Version of the Makarov that fires 9mm Gas or rubber bullets only. None Known imported to the USA

German
*Pistole M, 9x18 Standard Version of the PM, East German
*Pistole Mk, .380 ACP Experimental version of the PM (only two known to have been made)
*Simson-Suhl Makarov, Post Unification made German Makarov

Chinese
*Type 59, Military version of the Makarov
*Norinco Sporting Pistol, Commerical Export version of the Makarov

Bulgarian
*"Factory 10" marked Military version Makarov, 9x18, 8rd version only
*"Factory 10" Made, Military Export model, normally does not have Factory 10 mark, S/N code system does not always match normal Bulgarian Coding system. A few of these have turned up from Mid-East.
*"Factory 10" with Chrome plating, believed to be for Navy (Black Sea Navy) Issue
*Miltex Special Edition (SE), High Gloss Blue, 9x18
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Gloss Blue, 9x18, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Gloss Blue, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Satin Nickel, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Satin Nickel, 9x18, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel, 9x18, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, 9x18, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Polish Blued Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Polish Blued Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, 9x18, squared triggerguard
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, may or maynot also have Miltex logo on slide. 9x18, Blued.
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, may or maynot also have Miltex logo on slide. .380 ACP, Blued.
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, 9x18, Gray Parkarized Finish.
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, 9x18 Matte Blued (Model P-M01)
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, .380 ACP Matte Blued (Model P-M01)
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, 9x18 Satin Chrome (Model P-M01)
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, 9x18 Polished Chrome (Model P-M01)

Must have missed some, but that should be about 90% of them.

-George

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
This Arsenal should be on the list for sure

Of course, I know where (3) of these pistols reside, but the other (17) is unknown to me. But should these not be on the list? There were 20 made as special edition presentation pieces. I would think it would be interesting to find out where they all went. :confused:

Timbo

#5 · (Edited)

Pic courtesy of videodon

The above shown SA01 mark should be on every stainless steel IJ70-17AS. If your IJ70-17AS has this mark, it does not necessarily mean the pistol is stainless steel rather than nickel plated, but if the marking itself is bright, not dark, it is a good indication the pistol is stainless. -- info courtesy of gfisher & looter

SlimTim

#11 ·
S.T.,
I moved my pic hosting.
Also, the SA01 mark is on my 17-AH too
so I don't believe it's a stainless thing only.
:)
I don't think the "SA" codes have anything to do with stainless either.

The owner's manual for my Russian TOZ-78 .22 carbine has the logo and "SA 02" printed on the cover. Manual says it's a code for the "certifying body". The logo that it's beneath is that of a Russian consumer product testing agency. It appears on all sorts of Russian guns & ammo that are sold on the civilian market.

#9 ·
What model is this one? Thanks.

Originally posted by George @ makarov.com

Russian
*First Model Pistolet Makarova (PM) with frame cut out at top of triggerguard
*Pistolet Makarova (PM) (IZH manufactor)
*Pistolet Makarova (PM) (Tula Manufactor, which I had not seen until one showed up in a previous post today)
*Pistolet Makarova, Modernized (PMM, hicap frame, fluted chamber for use with High Pressure 9x18 Ammo)
*IZH-70 (Same as IJ70, early model designation)
*IJ70 (8rd Commerical Model, 9x18 with "Fake" PMM type grip, Adjustable rear sight)
*IJ70-17A (.380 ACP, 8rd Commerical Model with Adjustable rear sight)
*IJ70-17AS (.380 ACP, 8rd Commerical Model, Adjustable sight, Satin Nickel Finish)
*IJ70-17AH (.380 ACP, HiCap Commerical Model, Adjustable Rear Sight)
*IZH71-17 (.380 ACP, HiCap with fixed rear sight, none known to have been imported to USA)
*IJ70-18A (9x18, 8rd Commerical Model with Adjustable rear sight)
*IJ70-18AS (9x18, 8rd Commerical Model, Adjustable sight, Satin Chrome Finish)
*IJ70-18AH (9x18, HiCap Commerical Model, Adjustable rear sight)
*IZH71-18 (9x18, HiCap with fixed rear sight, none known to have been imported to USA)
*Bakial 442 Sporting Pistol, 8rd, 10rd or 12rd versions, in 9x18, Modern version of the PMM, with squared triggerguard and push button magazine release. None Known imported to the USA
*Bakial MP654K, Co2 BB version of the PMM
*Bakial MP654KS, Satin Chrome version of the CO2 BB PMM
*Bakial MP-471, Version of the Makarov that fires 10mm rubber bullets only, None Known imported to the USA
*Bakial IZH-79-9T, Version of the Makarov that fires 9mm Gas or rubber bullets only. None Known imported to the USA

German
*Pistole M, 9x18 Standard Version of the PM, East German
*Pistole Mk, .380 ACP Experimental version of the PM (only two known to have been made)
*Simson-Suhl Makarov, Post Unification made German Makarov

Chinese
*Type 59, Military version of the Makarov
*Norinco Sporting Pistol, Commerical Export version of the Makarov

Bulgarian
*"Factory 10" marked Military version Makarov, 9x18, 8rd version only
*"Factory 10" Made, Military Export model, normally does not have Factory 10 mark, S/N code system does not always match normal Bulgarian Coding system. A few of these have turned up from Mid-East.
*"Factory 10" with Chrome plating, believed to be for Navy (Black Sea Navy) Issue
*Miltex Special Edition (SE), High Gloss Blue, 9x18
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Gloss Blue, 9x18, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Gloss Blue, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Satin Nickel, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Satin Nickel, 9x18, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel, 9x18, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, Polished Nickel Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, 9x18, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Polish Blued Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, .380 ACP, squared triggerguard
*Miltex SE Sporting Pistol, High Polish Blued Frame, Satin Nickel Slide, 9x18, squared triggerguard
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, may or maynot also have Miltex logo on slide. 9x18, Blued.
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, may or maynot also have Miltex logo on slide. .380 ACP, Blued.
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, 9x18, Gray Parkarized Finish.
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, 9x18 Matte Blued (Model P-M01)
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, .380 ACP Matte Blued (Model P-M01)
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, 9x18 Satin Chrome (Model P-M01)
*Arsenal Brand Sporting Pistol, with Large Aarsenal (with two "A"'s) Logo on Slide, 9x18 Polished Chrome (Model P-M01)

Must have missed some, but that should be about 90% of them.

-George
Any help?

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
I have a question on markings of a made in bulgarian makarov:

Just purchased it. A walk in from a local gun shop.
Does the year it was manufactured have any significance?
NM 25 1994
Which I believe means that it was made in 1985. Significance for price and quality?

Interestingly another Makarov had
a code date of "16" which means that it was made in 1976. Any significance here, too?
And, the number following that was 098. Does this number mean that it was
the 98th gun in that series? This gun was significantly more expensive...somewhat due
to three mags and two holsters that are part of the package. Also, it had nice red grips.

#13 · (Edited)
I just bought a Bulgarian Makarov on Friday. While I have a P64 and a CZ82, I know they aren't true Mak's. This is my first. I have an Arsenal with a gloss blue finish. The label on the slide seems to be scribed in, and not stamped. Think of tiny dots forming words. The right side says D.I.G. VA., BCH. VA., and my serial number with the date code "37". I realize that means 1997. The left side says mod. MAKAROV cal. 9x18 Aarsenal Made in Bulgaria. There is no other markings, including a circle 10 or miltex. It also has the black grips with the thumb rest. Does this mean it's an Arsenal sporting model without the Miltex? Are the side banners normally done looking like they were done using a scriber? I paid $275 for it, and the finish is near perfect. How did I do? And is this Mak rare? Or not so rare? It came with 2 mags. a flap type holster, with the lifting strap and a cleaning rod. Thanks.

#16 ·
Baff: I think you did alright, price-wise. What you've got is an Arsenal commercial model. I think '97 is pre-Miltex. I have a '99 Arsenal, post-Miltex. Meaning it has the squared trigger guard, which I'm assuming is a leftover feature from the Miltex runs of pistols.

#19 ·
Can anyone tell me into which category my [AIM-acquired] Bulgarian would fit (no circle-10 mark anywhere)? Here is my guess (but I'm too much of a newb to have confidence) - Thanks !

*"Factory 10" Made, Military Export model, normally does not have Factory 10 mark, S/N code system does not always match normal Bulgarian Coding system. A few of these have turned up from Mid-East."

#20 ·
Can anyone tell me into which category my [AIM-acquired] Bulgarian would fit (no circle-10 mark anywhere)? Here is my guess (but I'm too much of a newb to have confidence) - Thanks !

*"Factory 10" Made, Military Export model, normally does not have Factory 10 mark, S/N code system does not always match normal Bulgarian Coding system. A few of these have turned up from Mid-East."
View attachment 970866

What is the lever on the grip for?

Bill

#22 ·
Made in Tula Makarov. Of course, it not mine. Just a picture from internet.

Attachments

#26 ·
Greetings and thank you for your response. Even in the license card, the pistol is registered as Norinco 59. I just wanted to confirm it. The weapon was obtained from a merchant who bought it in Germany as part of a package of "Bulgarian" Makarovs (hence the German acceptance marks) and is now in a place of honor in my safe :))

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.