Thread: Question on how to ship a gun out of state?

Default Question on how to ship a gun out of state?

I am new to the selling guns across state lines. I have aranged to trade my Makarov for another gun. I am located in Florida and the other gun is located in Ohio. Can somone tell me what the procedure would be for me to send the gun to him and the other gentalman to send his gun to me. Do we need to send them through a Firearms dealer or can we ship them directly? Any help would be appreciated. Both of us are novices in this arena. Thanks in advance.

Pat

If neither of you have an FFL license, you may not receive them unless they were made before 1898, I believe, they can only be received from another state by an FFL holder. If the FFL you are sending it to is willing to receive a firearm from a non-FFL, you can send it to the FFL via Fedex or UPS. If they are not willing to receive it from you, you must find a local FFL who will send it to the other guy's FFL. That's the simple answer.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

I'm assuming neither guy is a C&R holder, so I'll skip the C&R bit. The only thing I'll add is that an FFL can ship the handgun through USPS as well as Fed Ex, UPS, etc. Non FFL's can't ship handguns USPS, only UPS, FedEx, etc. Rifles or shotguns can be shipped USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc. by a non FFL. In all cases the firearms must be shipped to an FFL.

Not only all that, you have to tell the carrier that its a gun which they exploit by forcing you to ship it at the highest possible rates. So you tell UPS or whatever its a gun, pay $50 - $75 or so, it gets shipped to a local FFL for the other party, he pays the FFL $10 - $50 (some places are really bad!), pays for any fees like background checks (dunno about other states, mine is $10 for the check), and after some $100 to $200 thrown away, you both get your guns.

Never again for me --- I live in TN, and we can face to face trade any firearm, and I won't be robbed again by the carriers and local dealers. I dont begrudge the local dealers business but the FFL junk is a total rip off at many, many places esp out in the boonies where there is 1 shop in 50 miles.

I would find an FFL dealer and have him ship the gun to another FFL dealer in the other state and vice versa. As mentioned you can probably beat the shipping rate even with ffl fees tacked on by using an FFL dealer as opposed to sending it yourself fed-ex or UPS 2nd day. You can find an ffl dealer in your area on gunbroker.com. That is what I would do...other peoples opinions may differ

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnin View Post
    Not only all that, you have to tell the carrier that its a gun which they exploit by forcing you to ship it at the highest possible rates. So you tell UPS or whatever its a gun, pay $50 - $75 or so, it gets shipped to a local FFL for the other party, he pays the FFL $10 - $50 (some places are really bad!), pays for any fees like background checks (dunno about other states, mine is $10 for the check), and after some $100 to $200 thrown away, you both get your guns.

Never again for me --- I live in TN, and we can face to face trade any firearm, and I won't be robbed again by the carriers and local dealers. I dont begrudge the local dealers business but the FFL junk is a total rip off at many, many places esp out in the boonies where there is 1 shop in 50 miles.
    I paid $50 for them to send one overnight, which is what they said was the only way they said it could go, and the guy got it 5 days later via USPS. I can play that game. I shipped the next time in a flat rate usps box for $10.65 and told them it was a collectable item. Yeah, yeah, I know. Rip me off?

TENNESSEEAN is offline Super Moderator / Diamond Bullet with oak leaves member

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    I paid $50 for them to send one overnight, which is what they said was the only way they said it could go, and the guy got it 5 days later via USPS. I can play that game. I shipped the next time in a flat rate usps box for $10.65 and told them it was a collectable item. Yeah, yeah, I know. Rip me off?
    Usually i pretty much agree with Timbo this time I have to disagree big time. If you need to ship a gun out of state then do the research and do it LEGALLY, it ain't worth the savings if you get caught. The penalties for breaking these laws are pretty stiff.
    As far as the deal with UPS and USPS I recently ran into the same problem I had a order shipped overnight (by the way it wasn't a gun) and it was delivered 4 days later by USPS. I paid more for the shipping than the item but it was something that I needed and chose to have it shipped overnight. I've gone through the complaint process with both the shipper and UPS and should be getting a refund, when I don't know and I'm still raising cain with both of them.
    Appalachain American

Did I mention I was getting a gun worked on? The dealer had an FFL and did the job and sent it right back to me at home. He was the one who said I could do it that way. So I was good with it as well. Now, would I send a gun to another who bought it from me, no. I agree with our poster, I will just do a face to face. So If I EVER sell one, you had better live close or within driving distance or bw willing to pay all the shipping charges.

Recent changes in regulations now require ALL guns shipped to be routed to my address so they can be checked for , well, whatever I want to check them for. Those deemed worthy of proceeding to their new home will be forwarded, the others, well, I will give them a good home.....
    Live on a lake and don't fish,,,,,,,,collect guns and I don't hunt..........Be afraid, something is very wrong with this man !!!

Use an FFL . You should be able to find one near you and the charge should be no more than $20 plus the shipping and insurance fee for USPS. a medium size priority mail box is $10.95, insurance is free up to $200, then figure $1 per $100 value. In other words, a pistol insured for $600 would cost you $14.95 to ship. UPS and FedEx are ripoffs. They will charge you overnight air because it is a handgun. USPS priority mail will be anywhere in the country in 2-3 days. I am an ffl , and I ship U.S. mail continually. Customer usually has the pistol in two days, no matter where in the lower 48. In the above example of a pistol worth 600, I would charge you $35 to take care of it for you. Find a dealer who is not greedy!!!!!!!!!!