Thread: M-114 Command and Recon. APC.

Post M-114 Command and Recon. APC.

The only time I saw one of these Running was at Ft. Knox in 1985/86. They were being used by The U.S. Army Armor Board there. It entered service along with the M-113 in 1962. After doing poorly in Vietnam they were withdrawn from Duty there, but were still used elsewhere in Front Line Service, till 1973, when It was pulled out of Active Service by Gen. Abrams. M-114, M-114-A1 allowed indoor Firing of the M-2 .50 Caliber M.G. M-114-A2 had a Hydraulically Powered Commanders Cupola with .20mm Cannon. They also carred a M-60 Machine Gun. 3 Man Crew. Powered by a 283 Chevy V-8 Engine. 160 H.P. Water Fordable, and Air Droppable. Looked like a great compact little APC but it did not Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M114_01.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	409549perform well in the Field. Now some Police Forces have bought up some of them up. It weighted 15,093 Lbs. top speed of 36 MPH. slow. but sweet. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M114_01.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	409549

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Driving a tracked vehicle at 35 mph does NOT feel slow. I had hundreds of miles running M-114s (post-rebuild test drives - we took them off the end of our line and ran them around the plant after regular working hours so as to not have to worry about runniong over people) at USAMP-Roedelheim 1966-67. It is a fun little track on hard-stand. Noded easy and got stuck crossing ditches, though, plus short on power and had a less than perfect "Rubber-band" track instead of shoe-type live track like the M-113.

A diesel version and new track, plus a revised front end configuration would have made it better, maybe even worth having. They were alo prone to hull cracking where the final drive exited the hull. Part of the rebuild we were performing was to remediate any crack that were not too severe and add a somewhat complex (in shape - it was just a slab of aluminum cut to fit around the final drive axle penetration for the drive sprocket) reinforcing plate by MIG welding to all vehicles.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Ol Duke is offline Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer

Running at 35mph in a 113 regardless of type of tracks wasn't my idea of fun....especially thru the woods. Dickweed drivers had no concept of how much tree they could take on and not get stopped dead in the "tracks". We were out and on the ground and our dumbass platoon sergeant came barrel-assing thru the damn woods and the driver missed a turn and they centered a tree that didn't budge....the E-7 type mashed his face on the back of a Ma Deuce and it was terrible. He got out on a medical. The driver E-3 type broke his lower jaw on the hatch rim hitting the padding. 2 guys that stayed in the track when we got out were all scrambled up after getting slammed around on the inside...with various and sundry ailments. My rifle squad was all well and good because they did what I told them. I said during that part of the movement, we were going to be on the ground doing some peep and creep....lucky us..

The pictures below were in 1973....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails me&beer.jpg   121_2158.JPG   121_2156.JPG   121_2154.JPG   121_2149.JPG   121_2144.JPG  

Last edited by Ol Duke; 03-24-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Thanks,
    Ol'Duke

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would be an affront to your intelligence."
    George Bernard Shaw

Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi.
    (Excuse me. I need to see a man about a dog.)

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Duke View Post
    Running at 35mph in a 113 regardless of type of tracks wasn't my idea of fun....especially thru the woods. Dickweed drivers had no concept of how much tree they could take on and not get stopped dead in the "tracks". We were out and on the ground and our dumbass platoon sergeant came barrel-assing thru the damn woods and the driver missed a turn and they centered a tree that didn't budge....the E-7 type mashed his face on the back of a Ma Deuce and it was terrible. He got out on a medical. The driver E-3 type broke his lower jaw on the hatch rim hitting the padding. 2 guys that stayed in the track when we got out were all scrambled up after getting slammed around on the inside...with various and sundry ailments. My rifle squad was all well and good because they did what I told them. I said during that part of the movement, we were going to be on the ground doing some peep and creep....lucky us..
    I can believe that tale all right. Soldiers can do some fool things, even NCOs that ought to know better.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

We used 114's at Bliss (3d Cav) until '77, when we traded them in for TOW tracks. LOVED the 20mm cannon!!! Hated the track.

In '75 I broke my TC's nose when I drove into a sand trap w/ a Sheridan. Kissed that .50 cal real hard.

I transfered from Sheridan squad to scout squad right after that ....
    pure jebberish

"You don't think you're perfect but you do think you're always right."
    -my wife

Are you talking about the first version of TOW which was just a regular M-113 APC with a TOW that came up a Rail in the Rear Hatch. or that God Awful M-903? That is the one I hated.

First version (I guess). It was a regular APC. My gunner had just rotated back from Germany (where they already had them) so my track had our spit together before most others.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cav.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	409736
    pure jebberish

"You don't think you're perfect but you do think you're always right."
    -my wife

A fellow I shoot with has two of the M114's. Got them surplus from Canada I believe.
    I was on 113A1's in Nam. with Triple Deuce 25th Infantry. Good Vehicles. Never did 35 in the jungle though. Although running down the ocassional bomb crater overgrown was always a treat. Riding the top of a 113 sitting on a box of claymores or frags.,was a skill you learned as well as how to jump off with a steel pot on your head when the lead started to fly. Dismount, 50 gunner and driver...., did all three.

Hey AKBLUE ... my good friend, Paul Birshbach was 2/22 ... I was 4/23. (seems that our bunch at Knox went to either 2/22 or 4/23) Larry Heinemann, the author, (originally 4/23 ... transfered to 2/22 when they were working up) was a good friend of another of my buddies ... get his book CLOSE QUARTERS ... a great read ... mostly true stuff as my friend told me ... he actually remembered some of the events related in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo 33 Delta View Post
    Hey AKBLUE ... my good friend, Paul Birshbach was 2/22 ... I was 4/23. (seems that our bunch at Knox went to either 2/22 or 4/23) Larry Heinemann, the author, (originally 4/23 ... transfered to 2/22 when they were working up) was a good friend of another of my buddies ... get his book CLOSE QUARTERS ... a great read ... mostly true stuff as my friend told me ... he actually remembered some of the events related in the book.
    Read 'close quarters' in 83 or 84 when I was Track driver at Stewart, good book! Lots of 114's but were fixin to all be drug out to the ranges By then.

Yes, I shot my share of them on the tank ranges of Dona Ana NM, and Wildflicken W.Germany.
    In the 3rd ACR, one of our mechanics was a motorhead, he went to the "holding area" where they kept the 114s for targets, and took the heads & intake off of one, I wonder if he could use them. The intake looked really funky.

I read "Close Quarters" too, good Cav Book, but too much drugs.
    Never trust a Private with a loaded weapon, or an Officer with a map.