Belgian Mle 1889/36 and Mle 1935 Cleaning Rods

Thread: Belgian Mle 1889/36 and Mle 1935 Cleaning Rods

Question Belgian Mle 1889/36 and Mle 1935 Cleaning Rods

Guys: I have all the Belgian 35 and 36 Mausers with the original cleaning rods....Is it time to post the differences so the collectors will know what to look for??

ETA: Pix. The long rod is from a Mle 1889/35. It is approxomately 22+3/4" long. It appears to be an original rod for the Mle 1889 Rifle. I do not know if it is shortened or not...

The short rod is from a Mle 1935 Rifle, I have seen these in guns made at MAE, FN and Peiper. It looks to me like it is a German WW 1 Long 98 rod, with the marks whizzed by the Belgians, just like they used the German Mausers to make the Mle 1935 rifles at MAE, they seem to have recycled some of the German parts. This rod is approxomately 15+5/8" long.

These rods came from one owner war trophies, and I do not think they replaced them....

So it seems, that one can use a German WW 1 rod in the Mle 1935 rifles. For the 89/36, one will have to find a Belgian 1889 rod.

Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1BR1.jpg.JPG   1BR2.jpg.JPG   1BR3.jpg.JPG   1BR4.jpg.JPG  
    Last edited by vonmazur; 03-25-2011 at 11:09 AM. Reason: add pix=title
    "If those sweethearts won't face German bullets, Then they'll face French ones!"

Dale, thanks for posting the photos of the rods. Clear photos can always help identify what collectors need to look for. I hope you don't mind if we make this a sticky for a while? Maybe others will add more information?

Now if I can figure out how to change the title so everyone will be able to know it is about cleaning rod distinctions?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

TP: I changed the title so you can move it to the stickies, as I am not a moderator on this board, you will have to move it.....

Dale
    "If those sweethearts won't face German bullets, Then they'll face French ones!"

Already done, thanks for changing it.

I believe there is someone named John Hall or John Wall that had plans to have some Belgian 1889 cleaning rods made up. Some years ago this gentleman had some stamped steel 98/40 sight hoods made. Anyone know if he ever had the long Belgian 1889 rods made?

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Quote Originally Posted by mauserhope View Post
    I believe there is someone named John Hall or John Wall that had plans to have some Belgian 1889 cleaning rods made up. Some years ago this gentleman had some stamped steel 98/40 sight hoods made. Anyone know if he ever had the long Belgian 1889 rods made?
    Yes, that's me. I had a bunch of Belgian Mle 1889 rods made up about 8-10 years ago for myself and members of this Forum. I'm looking into this again. If I find someone who can do this, I'll take orders from GB members.
    Best Regards,
    John

Hello Mr. Wall, Sorry I didn't get your name quite right. That would be wonderful if you had some made up, I am sure quite a few people would be interested. I would be interested in two for myself. I am also in need of some Gew.88 Commission rifle cleaning rods if you know anyone or anyplace that has some.

I have found that FN rods (perhaps not all of them) the jag or part where the patch fits in the slot has 'flat' sides. The one in my 1935 is that way. As I remember the rod does not screw into the stock but is held in place by the notch/channel formed on bottom of the front sight. I can not get it out to measure, however. All my FN rifles, 98 models only, have these type rods.

good evening to all ask for help, where can I get the belt and the cleaning rod (37.2 cm) for a mod. 1930 ?? (Reference post http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...024-Model-1924) thanks. Fabio

buona sera a tutti chiedo un aiuto , dove posso trovare la cinghia e la cleaning rod ( cm 37.2 )per un mod. 1930 ?? ( riferimento post http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...024-Model-1924 ) grazie. Fabio

Try Springfield Sporters ,Penn Run, Pa. They had them in the past and still may .

Has it been confirmed that the Model 1935 Mausers used Gewehr 98 cleaning rods?
    Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Lornedavis, you do indeed remember correctly. Disassembled my 1889/35 this evening. Cleaning rod is not screwed in but held in place by a notch at the front below the sight. Cleaning rod on my rifle is 15 and 5/8 inches long.