Gunboards Forums banner

best out-of-the-box 1911 for bullseye shooting?

25K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  nra-life-member 
#1 ·
I'm considering trying the NRA-style 1911 bullseye game after years of high power target shooting. A custom pistol is more than I can afford (or use to its full potential). What's the best out of the box 1911 bullseye gun? Thanks!

#4 ·
Taurus? Bang for buck and degree of accuracy for BE shooting is like comparing apples to refrigerators: not even same food group!
Taurus, 1911 in 9mm out of the box two weeks ago gave me 4 inch ragged hole size group off bench rest at 25 yds. $450 out the door
for new pistol but.... that kind of accuracy is not going to be good for a BE shooter. Did I mention it shot a foot low and is now being
put to right by the Taurus life time warranty repair folks as I write this.

Taurus IMHO is a entry level combat accuracy type pistol and not a Bullseye grade shooting pistol. Lots of bang for buck but that is not the solution for
BE shooting.

For BE shooting, your best bet is to hit the ranges and talk to the shooters and see how they went about picking a weapon and having it fitted up. I would
submit you will have $1600 into a pistol when its all said and done. Its very problematic a Colt Gold Cup will satisfy your needs right out of the box.

Not to slam Taurus but their pistols are hardly (my opinion) BE target grade race horses. They are made in Brazil just like Springfield Armory slides and frames are and recent production Taurus are finely made entry level 1911 pistols. THey are significantly better than a rack grade GI pistol ! They are the equal of the $700 to $850 range 1911 pistols of major makers or niche gun makers (Wilson, Bauer etc) and cost you almost half the cost. Recent Taurus production pistols shoot out of the box very reliably, this recent 9mm shot 300 rds flawlessly out of the box. However, you may or may not experience the inconvenience of having to send it back if it under performs as my pistol did shooting a foot low. That will be corrected but its a fact that it happens. I could have corrected it myself but with a lifetime warranty, why bother?

#5 ·
#6 ·
Match Grade RIA at 20 yds demonstrates amazing accuracy. If that pistol
is representative, its a fine hand gun. I do know a buddy of mine has high
praise for his RIA service grade 1911 and its accuracy. RIA may indeed be
a very good entry level Bullseye shooter.

#7 ·
I am also just getting into the sport. I selected the para SSP, which has a match grade barrel, trigger, and hammer for under $1000 (it was around 900 give or take I forget the final price).

The big thing to look for is slide to frame fit, match grade barrel, and a trigger you can live with. If you get those then buy an oversized ed brown bushing (or similar product) and have THAT custom fit into your gun by a decent smith, you will have a fine starter firearm. As I understand it, take *any* 1911 and replace that bushing to get high accuracy, but if your trigger pull is poor or your slide/frame fit is poor, it will not be as quite as good.

Ria has a fine reputation for reliable, cheap 1911s but as I understand it their triggers are a bit rough. You can definately use a ria frame to slowly upgrade it on the cheap.

Remember to save some $$$ to get a red dot sight put on. Good luck in your shooting.

#12 ·

Ria has a fine reputation for reliable, cheap 1911s but as I understand it their triggers are a bit rough. You can definately use a ria frame to slowly upgrade it on the cheap.
The RIA plain Jane GI model I bought a year ago has a splendid smooth, creep-free trigger with lighter trigger pull than any other 1911's I looked at. Slide to frame fit is tight too.

I've looked at a number of other RIA's since I bought mine and they all had excellent triggers out of the box.

#8 ·
Slide to frame fit is relatively unimportant for accuracy compared to bushing and barrel/slide lug fit. it is, however, an important indication of how much care was taken in building the pistol.

#9 ·
KIMBER.

Brgds, A

#10 ·
I have 3 different RIA's....standard 1911A1, Officer model and the Compact. All are very good pistols for under $400 that I paid for each.

#15 ·
I have been shooting BE for 25 years. My 45 is a Series 70 Gold Cup with a fitted bushing. Trigger and slide fit were excellent out of the box. I would recommend that you spend a lot of time testing ammo, preferably with a Ransom Rest. No use spending thousands on a hand fitted gun and then throw Wally-World ammo in it. My Gold Cup likes 4.2 gr of 231 and a 200 gr wadcutter sized .452. Some loads would shoot groups twice as big from the Ransom. The same story on your .22. After all the 45 is only 1/3 (or 2/3) of the total BE match. I have not found a 22 that shoots better than my Hi-Standard Supermatic. Buy a box of every standard velocity ammo that you can find. Like with the 45, some brands shoot groups that are twice as big from the Ransom. Fortunately, my 22 likes CCI white box (cheap) ammo. I buy it in 5000 round lots.

#17 ·

I have not found a 22 that shoots better than my Hi-Standard Supermatic. Buy a box of every standard velocity ammo that you can find. Like with the 45, some brands shoot groups that are twice as big from the Ransom. Fortunately, my 22 likes CCI white box (cheap) ammo. I buy it in 5000 round lots.
+1! The Hi Standard Supermatic's grip geometry and balance make it an excellent practice shooter. Only drawback is the main recoil spring is difficult to remove/replace.
I "bit the bullet" and let a gunsmith install the Wolff spring kit. Worth every penny.

#16 ·
Another vote for the Taurus PT1911.
Mine's in stainless.
Gun magazine writers were very impressed with the tight groups and action of the Taurus as well, and helped influence my decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.