Default salvaging the PPs43C folding stock

I like those PPs43C pistols and variants. They have a welded stock. Can the stock be salvaged or do I have to buy a kit?

Yes, I understand that I would have to apply for an SBR stamp first.
    Last edited by sarabellum; 03-29-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: updated information

It depends on how the butt stock on your PPS43 was immobilized, welded to the receiver cover or blocked in the closed position. Also along with getting the federal SBR papers you have to have the stock opening work done by a properly federally licensed class 3 manufacturer you cannot do the work yourself and the PPS43 will have to be stamped with their name and a new federal number. They have to wait to do the work until your approved tax stamp paperwork comes in. That's the info I got from a local FFL class 3 dealer on how to do this legally.
    NavyGunner

I'm a political refugee from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by NavyGunner View Post
    It depends on how the butt stock on your PPS43 was immobilized, welded to the receiver cover or blocked in the closed position. Also along with getting the federal SBR papers you have to have the stock opening work done by a properly federally licensed class 3 manufacturer you cannot do the work yourself and the PPS43 will have to be stamped with their name and a new federal number. They have to wait to do the work until your approved tax stamp paperwork comes in. That's the info I got from a local FFL class 3 dealer on how to do this legally.
    I've never heard an sbr has to be done by a class 3 dealer. Maybe the person who gave you that advise was trying to get business?

Yea, if you get an approved Form 1 (to Make) you can do your own SBR work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
    Yea, if you get an approved Form 1 (to Make) you can do your own SBR work.
    +1 to what Mordecai said.
    Get your approved form and do it yourself. No need to go the long way around and pay someone else to do it. To do it the way NavyGunner suggested would cost considerably more than the pistol cost.
    Tokarev half cock notch: It was good enough for Russia, China, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Yugoslavia... It's good enough for me!

wink2

Hi all,

And a "class 3" is a dealer only...class 2 is the manufacturer of NFA firearms. Class 3 can't manufacture anything. All the Form 1 paper work with instructions and finger print cards comes in a kit you order online from ATF. My sons packet of blank forms for converting his PPS43 only took about a week to come after we ordered it from the website...now he's saving up for the $200 tax stamp.
    Smak

Oh, and my son has the one that is not welded...the push button hole is too small for it to work...we're planning on enlarging the hole and getting an original button and stock spring, but most of the stock components on his can be used...we think. Naturally we are not touching it until approved Form 1 gets back from ATF.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyGunner View Post
    It depends on how the butt stock on your PPS43 was immobilized, welded to the receiver cover or blocked in the closed position...
    The ads I have seen indicate "welded" in the closed position. I would like to know what should be done in either scenario: welded or blocked.
    Last edited by sarabellum; 04-09-2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by sarabellum View Post
    The ads I have seen indicate "welded" in the closed position. I would like to know what shold be done in either scenario: welded or blocked.
    no matter what-get a parts kit-you may want to check out this forum-http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...97317&start=45
    Von mazur also contributes here as well.I would get a parts kit ASAP.the well seems to be draining on the reasonably priced ones.

Here are 2 pictures comparing an original Polish stock assy. still attached to a piece of cut receiver from a parts kit and the latest (sept. 2010) version of Polish made pps43-c as imported by IO.
    In operation, the original SMG weapon's stock is a semi-permanent assembly. It is not to be dissembled from the receiver. To open the stock (original smg) you just pull upward on it and it will unlock and unfold, the locking button depresses without assistance into the receiver as you do this. When fully unfolded, it will lock into position.
    To fold the stock from the open position, you must depress the button manually with your finger or thumb and at the same time, fold the stock upward. The button is spring loaded thus keeping the workings tight in the folded position and locked in the open position. With no opening for the button to move, the new semi-auto pps43-c's stock is fixed in it's folded position and has no movement whatsoever.

First picture shows original parts kit receiver piece with stock parts on the left and Radom pps43-c semi auto on right side. Hard to see but there is room around the button on the original receiver piece for the button to be depressed. On the newest models of semi auto pps43-c, the hole was only drilled large enough for the shaft to pass through, not the button.

In the second photo, once again you will see the cut original receiver/stock on the left and new semi auto on the right. Same intact and unwelded internal stock parts on both. When originally made and assembled, the end of the stock release button shaft passes through a hole in the bar on the very bottom and peened over for a permanent installation. If you look close at both, where the shaft comes down through the top of the receiver, the original has a spring around the shaft and the semi does not. It is the only piece missing in the semi stock assy. besides a hole in the top of the receiver large enough to allow the button to be depressed and the stock freed from it's fixed position.
    Tokarev half cock notch: It was good enough for Russia, China, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Yugoslavia... It's good enough for me!

Thanks ron-both of mine are the newer IO type and I am planning on converting at least one.hopefully the paperwork wont take too long as I am dying to get it done.got kits ordered as I wanted extra mags.glad I did that.

It's good you got some kits on order. The kits that come with 4 mags are not easy to locate anymore.

Great suggestions El Karang and PR! Then from PR's answer I can conclude the old welded stock cannot be salvaged?
    Last edited by sarabellum; 04-09-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by sarabellum View Post
    Great suggestions El Karang and PR! Then from PR's answer I can conclude the old welded stock cannot be salvaged?
    easier to get rid of the old one and install a complete one from the kit-one you know will function.if you order a kit from SG now you will be on a waiting list for a few week-but you get 4 mags also.

Forgot to mention ammo -the Polish stuff is cheap to mess around with but quality and performance can be iffy.had one lot that was not cycling the weapons properly so the hammer wouldnt cock!! lot of fouling.we still had fun and oddly enough ,they were both pretty accurate shooting with stocks folded.truly a fun, cool looking weapon.am going to try some commercial ammo or some yugo next time-although I kind of treasure the yugo ammo and hate to break it out.glad I bought a couple of these.Definitely get a parts kit for these while the 4 mag ones are still available!