Default Tokarev Recoil Spring Compatible with M57?

Does anyone know if the Tokarev springs that Wolff makes for the TTs are compatible with the Yugo M57? I sent an inquiry to Wolff's technical people, but they didn't know. Has anyone here succeeded in putting a TT-33 recoil spring into an M57?

And if so, what's the trick to freeing the M57's spring from its assembly?

I much prefer the M57's captured recoil spring setup; just a hassle finding Yugo-specific parts.

Nearly three years later, has anyone ever found anything about this? I just acquired a Romanian Cugir TTC and Yugoslavian Zastava M57 and asked Wolff the same question, and they did not know.

Do both the TTC and M57 take the TT33 spring? I want to install new recoil springs before firing. Thanks...

I don't think so. The M57 has a captive recoil spring and the TTC does not. They are two different set-ups.
    ​Cosomoline is a suitable alternative for lip balm.

I understand, but I am curious....maybe it is the same size spring, just in a captive format.

The barrel and frame are all the same dimensions. So the same forces are being applied regardless.

I read somewhere that you could replace the barrel bushing and use the non captive rod and spring.

I could do that but would rather just replace this spring with the captive rod.

Are you talking about swapping springs or the spring assembly?

I'm pretty sure they both use the same barrel bushing. I'd imagine if you'd swap the recoil spring assembly it would work just fine. I took the barrel and spring assembly from my M70A and put it in my TTC and fired 9mm luger just fine. I don't know if the barrel and recoil spring assembly must both swap, but it worked just fine in my TTC.

Both, actually.

I know that swapping the recoil system and the barrel bushing would work if I wanted to switch from one system to the other.

However, is it possible that the same spring is used between the captive system and non-captive system? Why would a different spring be used if the same forces and recoil are applied? The frames and barrels are identical between the systems with captive and non-captive guide rods.

Also, did the original Russian TT33 use the non-captive guide rod? So I would at least know that the Wolff spring would definitely work in my Romanian TTC since that uses a non-captive guide rod as well. I am not sure why Wolff would not know this information already...

I don't have a Russian TT33 but I've seen then with the same set-up at the TTC, the Chinese Tokarev, and the Polish Tokarev. I think the Yugo is the only one with a captive recoil spring. Why don't you try to assemble your M57 recoil spring assembly with your TTC spring and vice versa. If they don't fit, they must be different. If they do fit, go from there. I would not suggest a live-fire to test it though.

Good idea. I'll report back with my findings!

Be warned, the yugo recoil spring assy is difficult to get apart. Harder to get back together.

It looks like a roll pin needs to be popped out and then the two halves will separate?

Quote Originally Posted by SoloMan View Post
    It looks like a roll pin needs to be popped out and then the two halves will separate?
    I believe so. But it's all under pressure. Proceed with caution.
    I had luck switching over to the org Russian setup. Including a Russian barrel bushing.
    Wear eye protection. Good luck on finding any lost parts.

I have always envisioned having some sort of ultra bright white sterile room for such a task. If anything blew apart you would be able to find the parts easily.

In the past I've had to use my ears as much as my eyes. Like when I lost the part that holds the recoil spring in my m1911 ,45 . I'm drawings Blanton the part name,up all night. But it zinged away while I was putting her back together. The last sound I heard was metal striking metal. After some searching, and cussing, I found it in my WW I doughboy helmet. Thank God it was turned upside down and caught it.
    Worst ever was the firing pin assy on my yugo m57', lost the darn hat four times. But found it four times...

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

The Russki TT33s, if my Izhevsk from 1945 is any evidence, use a non-captive arrangement.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Thank you for the information!

I saw that BuyMilSurp was selling M57 springs with and without the captive guide assembly.

But after I questioned them, they said the springs are used.

Not much good that will do.