Default the 6.5 x 50 Jap cartridge is SWEET !

after shooting/reloading/hunting and collecting guns for 30 years, I finally got around to actually firing the 6.5 x 50 Jap cartridge in a type 38 Sporter. At the last gun show I bought up 5 boxes of boxer primed ammo at reduced price, rather than the berdan primed Jap milsurp stuff. I wanted to be able to hunt with it, and reload for it, and the FMJ military bullets would have to be pulled from the milsurp stuff, and the brass was throwaway berdan. The good ammo is getting expensive $42/box at Midway, but I found 4 boxes of Partizan for $25/box, and one box of Hornady for $30.

yesterday I took it out on a somewhat cold day here and fired 10 shots with it, 5 offhand, and 5 with my elbow resting on the snow-covered shooting bench I leave in the woods at the range.

wow, where has this been all my life ? what a sweet round the 6.5 is, certainly very under rated. Very similar to the 250 Savage chambering in my Ruger M77.

Low muzzle blast, low recoil, very accurate. It is everything the 250 Savage is, and maybe even a little bit more. Any shot I fired at 50 yards would have dropped a deer easily, and when I "tried" it grouped 4 shots at 1.5" without sandbags, with the gun moving around while shooting, and my wobbly elbow as a rest.

Any Japanese Military 6.5 is collector stuff and too expensive and scarce to shoot. If you have any left sell it and buy commercial.

It is indeed a sweet cartridge, Remington "re-invented" it in their 260 Rem round. Try Mrnambu when you need more ammo, about $20 for a box of 20.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Now you know why 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser is so popular after 115 years.