Default Ruger LC9 vs.Taurus Slim

Hello All. I recently saw these at a funshow. They fit my hand well (I have big hands) and seem well made. Does anyone own either one of these? I compared both and they are similar in size. The Taurus is slightly wider. Which would be better? I haven't heard a great deal on either of these pistols. Thanks for any help.

Too new, juries still out on both. If I had to choose, the Ruger would be my selection, after I was sure the new model bugs were worked out. I would probably choose Kel_tec PF9 or PF11 in that size catagory first over either. At least for the time being.

I agree both are still too new to have a sold track record. The Ruger would probably get my vote. I had a couple P11's when they first came available. Both had issues. The P9 I've owned for a couple years now has been trouble free. I think they probably hadn't worked the bugs out of the P11's years ago.

A buddy of mine was teaching a CWP class a couple weekends ago and one of the students had an LC9 that my buddy borrowed and shot 50 or so rounds through after the class. He is a real gun guy and I trust him when he says that one was a fine pistol. I'm not a big fan of some of ruger's stuff, and while they make bulky, ugly pistols sometimes, every one I ever had worked like a dose of salts.
    "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?

Hello. Thanks for the replies! I figured that they were "Too New." I haven't seen alot on either one. I like the way the Ruger feels even though I don't really care for many Ruger products or their Politics. I kinda liked the idea of a "compact 9mm" better than a .380. I also know that at the last three funshows the LC9's literally dissappear from the tables! If you don't get one at the beggining of the show, it's GONE! Thanks again.

Love my new LC9, but need to put more rounds through it. Taurus customer service is bad enough that I generally don't pop for any of their products.

Hello Mr. Bullets. Thanks for the update. I've never heard anything good about Taurus customer service! Ruger on the other hand has been around as long as I have.

Just read the latest issue of Guntests at my Inlaws. I dont always agree with everything they put in them but I think for the most part they are pretty knowledgeable and like the way they test guns they buy rather than givemes from the companies better than most gunrags.

Their take on the LC9 was that it is basically a copy of the PF9 with some enhancements, and a higher price tag, which was pretty much my take on it from my looking at it. They gave it a lower grade than a PF9 they tested at the same time, so take it for what it is worth. You might want to look close at them both before spending the extra dollars.

I have three Ruger revolvers, a Ruger Mark III, a Ruger 10/22, and a Ruger P89.
    I have one Taurus PT1911.
    Look seriously at the Taurus.
    I feel their new .380 is far better than Rugers LCP 380, and we literally shot the two side by side.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing held true for the two competing 9mm's.
    "Conceal Carry. Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

It may come down to whichever pistol you have confidence in.

These kind of pistols are your worst nightmare if you have to reach
    for it and have a doubt at that dramatic moment about its reliability.

In a blind date: I would lean to the Ruger. If I could shoot both, I might
    lean to the Taurus which appears better built.

It may be too soon to make a call on either... but you would have to have time to wait on your decision.

Pls let me know your decision with a email and what drove your final cut.

I was torn on Keltec vs Ruger LCP 380 for my daughter. Both actually looked same in concept but
    the nagging thought was: Its my daughter and I am not cutting this decision with cost in mind, rather
    with what I have confidence in quality. I got the Ruger for her and it works flawlessly. Afterwards I
    saw a Taurus 380 and the new S&W 380 and wish I had waited on that decision. However, with no
    weapon in her house.... how could I wait to buy her a hand gun?

Good luck on your decision. I am interested due to my desire to swap that 380 of daughters to a 9mm now.

The PT709 has been out nearly a year. It seems to have an OK track record. I have two Taurus pistols, one of which has had to go back for a magazine release issue. It was fixed and back in about 4 weeks. I would not hesitate to look at the slim in either 9 or 40. I am looking at a Keltec PF9 as an option for myself.

smile

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    The PT709 has been out nearly a year. It seems to have an OK track record. I have two Taurus pistols, one of which has had to go back for a magazine release issue. It was fixed and back in about 4 weeks. I would not hesitate to look at the slim in either 9 or 40. I am looking at a Keltec PF9 as an option for myself.
    I have fired 2 PT709s and several PF9s. I didn't shoot a huge number of rounds through any of them, probably 100 or so each, but all worked flawlessly with various loadings/ bullet types that I tried in them. The Taurus pistols seemed a bit more accurate as I recall. The only small Ruger I fired was one example of the .380, which also performed very well.....

I work at a pretty large outdoors store. I have sold hundreds of PT709's and PT740's. I saw one come back once blown up, possibly because of a caliber mixup. I can't remember. Aside from that, I have heard great reviews from it. I have also never heard a bad review of taurus customer service. Many of our customers say that Taurus will arrange a pickup at their home if they have problems. One taurus gun which I would not touch is the PT-22, which I estimate %80 of what we sell comes back with some problem or another.
    The Ruger to me actually feels worse and looks poorly designed next to the slim. We've only had one and sold it since they've come out. I have never fired either one.
    $.02