Default Gun safe in Garage?

Hello, I'm new here and am looking for some info on gun safes. What do you think about installing a gun safe in a garage? Do I need to worry about the temeratures or humidity? Thanks for any advice.

Depends - where do you live?

If its a humid climate I'd put it in an area with some AC. Regardless if its not heated and AC you need to keep them greased (NOT OIL), and put a golden rod or a small flourescent light in the safe to warm it up enough to keep any condensation off the guns. I seal all mine in the garage in gun bags too. No rust in 10 plus years down here in a cypress swamp.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Quote Originally Posted by jjk308 View Post
    If its a humid climate I'd put it in an area with some AC. Regardless if its not heated and AC you need to keep them greased (NOT OIL), and put a golden rod or a small flourescent light in the safe to warm it up enough to keep any condensation off the guns. I seal all mine in the garage in gun bags too. No rust in 10 plus years down here in a cypress swamp.
    Yes.

And bolt that sucker down to concrete anchors in the floor and to the wall behind it, just to keep it from ever "moving arround" (which usually only happens with "assistance").

I'm getting ready to anchor my safe. Choosing a wall to anchor it to my exterior walls are red brick double wall, interior walls are plaster on plasterboard (not lath w/ mesh) If I attach to a interior wall I think I will have more even temps. Exterior wall is NE side of house, no direct afternoon sun, only early morning sun. Would it likely make much difference which wall I attach to?

I would attach it to the floor, as most all safes are predrilled for floor anchoring. Use a Golden Rod or any moisture wicking device, as they work great and a decent safe will have a 110V outlet inside. If you decide to mount to your wall, it won't matter where the Sun rises and sets. +1 for a garage install, no bulky safe taking up house space, and its usually much easier to install 1000+ Lbs. in a garage anyway. Your house probably won't have concrete floors either.

Putting your gun safe in the garage accomplishes three things: makes it easier to reduce your gun collection to a pile of rusty tomato stakes, makes it more convenient for crackheads to steal and provides a convenient way to test your car's air bags.
    rr2241tx

Quote Originally Posted by greyheadedguy View Post
    I'm getting ready to anchor my safe. Choosing a wall to anchor it to my exterior walls are red brick double wall, interior walls are plaster on plasterboard (not lath w/ mesh) If I attach to a interior wall I think I will have more even temps. Exterior wall is NE side of house, no direct afternoon sun, only early morning sun. Would it likely make much difference which wall I attach to?
    I planned on anchoring to the concrete floor, but I thought I understood it should be anchored to the wall also. Seems it would be a good idea to keep someone from being able rock the safe and possibly breaking loose from the floor bolts. This will be in a closet, a nice and cool closet with little activity.

Quote Originally Posted by PRIMO1 View Post
    Depends - where do you live?
    I live in Va. We do have a lot of humidity in the summer but I hope that I can control that with desicant or golden rod.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by mikew7170 View Post
    I live in Va. We do have a lot of humidity in the summer but I hope that I can control that with desicant or golden rod.
    Use a Goldenrod or a simple light fixture as jjk308 suuggested. Dessicnts have to be taken out and heated in the oven regularly and it is easy to forget.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Bolting it down does not solve all the issues. A friend had his safe hit. They used a chain saw to cut through the wood side of the garage then used a Sawzall of something along that line to cut off the front face of the safe. Contents were picked through and the high end stuff taken.

Quote Originally Posted by High Desert View Post
    Bolting it down does not solve all the issues. A friend had his safe hit. They used a chain saw to cut through the wood side of the garage then used a Sawzall of something along that line to cut off the front face of the safe. Contents were picked through and the high end stuff taken.
    Unfortunately if someone wants it bad enough, they're going to get it regardless of what you do. All you can do is try to slow them down enough, or difficult enough to make it not worth their effort. Then not brag about what you have or attract attention to yourself.

Grey

Regardless, get plenty of insurance, best to spend the $ on insurance than a super-duper safe that a thief could wrap a chain around, break loose, winch into his truck and haul off to open at his leisure. My collectinsure.com policy covers shipping and gun shows too.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Unfortunately if someone wants it bad enough, they're going to get it regardless of what you do. All you can do is try to slow them down enough, or difficult enough to make it not worth their effort. Then not brag about what you have or attract attention to yourself.

Grey
    Indeed so. I recall a break-in and theft of firearms in this area some years ago. Guns were in a windowless, concrete block building with a very sturdy (though not vault) metal door and a security lock. Some quite decent guns in there. The thieves (rather stupid ones - the owner was a noted "hard man" who had killed at least three people, all under circumstances that allowed him to claim (successfully) self-defense (and was suspected to have been involved in at least one probable killing with no body ever found; some suspect the turtles and catfish in the Angelina fed well for a while) - stole a heavy truck and simply drove it through one wall, backed it out, entered and loaded what they wanted into their vehicle and left for Houston to flog the stuff off. They were actually fairly lucky, cops got a tip and caught them before they had sold much, and they went to the joint before the victim could get at them. The victim got about 70% of the merchandise back, not too battered.

I think most would feel a pretty solid concrete building would have been adequate. But - apparently not, if the thieves are determined...

I had to have a gun safe in a garage for a short period of time until we moved, and never felt comfortable with it, as garages tend to get broken into.

Contact your insuance company and buy a firearms rider on your policy.

Have an alarm system installed. They tend to make burgalars want to spend far less time trying to open or remove a safe. Place the alarm company signs in the front yard, stickers on windows.
    "Conceal Carry. Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

Grey
    Exactly. One way to slow them down is to have the alarm systen extended to the garage.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Indeed so. I recall a break-in and theft of firearms in this area some years ago. Guns were in a windowless, concrete block building with a very sturdy (though not vault) metal door and a security lock. Some quite decent guns in there. The thieves (rather stupid ones - the owner was a noted "hard man" who had killed at least three people, all under circumstances that allowed him to claim (successfully) self-defense (and was suspected to have been involved in at least one probable killing with no body ever found; some suspect the turtles and catfish in the Angelina fed well for a while) - stole a heavy truck and simply drove it through one wall, backed it out, entered and loaded what they wanted into their vehicle and left for Houston to flog the stuff off. They were actually fairly lucky, cops got a tip and caught them before they had sold much, and they went to the joint before the victim could get at them. The victim got about 70% of the merchandise back, not too battered.

I think most would feel a pretty solid concrete building would have been adequate. But - apparently not, if the thieves are determined...
    Some years ago (now) - there was a gun store in Norwood, Ohio. Front had bars, etc. and had a step up. Some people drove a truck thru the front and took many guns before the police responded to the alarm.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by EricOKC View Post
    I had to have a gun safe in a garage for a short period of time until we moved, and never felt comfortable with it, as garages tend to get broken into.

Have an alarm system installed. They tend to make burgalars want to spend far less time trying to open or remove a safe. Place the alarm company signs in the front yard, stickers on windows.
    A rider on a homeowners policy can get expensive. Try one of the speciality companies - there are three. Historic Firearms, Collectors, and Core-Vens.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by cpw View Post
    Some years ago (now) - there was a gun store in Norwood, Ohio. Front had bars, etc. and had a step up. Some people drove a truck thru the front and took many guns before the police responded to the alarm.
    There will always be stories like this.
    The above scenario was well planned out, and I assume they still planned the theft to have to be fast, knowing an alarm was in place.

I have replacement value insurance, with a $500.00 deductible.
    If they're all stolen, I'll simply buy new ones, along with anything else that might get stolen.

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

You can fashion a pretty effective garage safe from a heavy duty Jobox. Anything can be broken into but they are pretty tough.
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

There will always be stories like this.
    The above scenario was well planned out, and I assume they still planned the theft to have to be fast, knowing an alarm was in place.

I have replacement value insurance, with a $500.00 deductible.
    If they're all stolen, I'll simply buy new ones, along with anything else that might get stolen.
    That is what I have, but it is sort of hard to replace something that is one of a kind or that has Serial No. 1, etc.
    Charlie

I decided to put my safe in the basement, this was a huge challange. I used a winch to get that sucker down there(600lb+) and bolted it to the wall and floor. I used rubber grommets in-between my bolt heads and safewall/floor. This helps keep out moisture and I use a Remington rechargeable dessicant that plugs in to dry itself out.

I check my safe reguarly, as it sits 10 feet from my reloading bench. I also have a large steel box bolted beside it to hold ammo, but it is only padlocked.
    Grey headed guy, can you put bolts through the brick wall? If you could hide them with paint and shrubbery, then nobody would know what they are for.
    Garage is ok, but don't have a garage sale where all the losers can see it!
    Tony
    "I didn't say it was your fault." I said "I was going to blame you."
    You can have my guns when I run out of bullets.

The obvious drawback to home alarm systems is that they all have technician overide codes and although YOU may not know the code, but they are widely known in the B&E Profession. Prison is just technical school for criminals.
    rr2241tx

have in basement next to the garage two full safe and up stairs two full safes with the most expensive collectibles.
    all treated cleaned greased the same......the one in the basement sometime produces spots of mold on the oil finished stocks.
    but no rust.....i have to clean the safe inside, outside the basement guns 3 times a year to get a head start of the mold.....
    you can have Cam's, alarms, bolted, chained but i think the tear gas trip wire protection sold now a days Will catch everybody's attention....
    at my house on a dead end road with every door that is steel, and reinforced steel framed bolted to floors and walls, ceiling frames, with excellent long tonged dead bolt lockes....
    your have to go back outside to break into each room....getting around all cameras, alarms is another story...if everyones gone from home which isn't often at all....neigborhood is deputy and below the hill another deputy.......we are the neighborhood watch form hell the angles warned you about!....hunters in the other houses.......but a garage i wouldn't have the added protection with more doors to go through.

That is what I have, but it is sort of hard to replace something that is one of a kind or that has Serial No. 1, etc.
    My guns are not all that special, but they were my Dad's and my Granddad's, they are both gone. I am the only family member that took any of the gun collection so the rest of the collection is gone. The value of my guns is more sentimental value then dollar value. You can't replace that.

Default Answers that Ask Questions

Concerning the secure and protective storage of guns, I offer the following generalizations.
    For the average gun owner, corrosion deterioration is probably the greatest asset protection hazard in the ordinary course of firearms ownership. Temperature stability, humidity control and minimizing corrosive airborne contaminants such as salt, are probably chief mitigating factors. However,beyond simple commonsense employment of anti-corrosion agents, variables are simply too great to prescribe any single specific remedy to all.
    Most residential casualty losses are likely to occur from natural disasters rather than theft. To the extent practicable, reasonable conservation in place includes such factors as storing guns out of identifiable harmís way. Preparatory mitigation might include a fireproof container, locating them in a basement sheltered from severe weather or on an upper floor in flood prone areas. Sufficient forewarning available, a feasible evacuation plan might even include removing such valuables.
    As to theft losses, the most common residential burglaries remain rapid, unsophisticated, smash and grab, targets of opportunity crime. The typical exception is where a specific attraction is pre-identified, deterrence factors are surveyed and factored as surmountable. A planned and structured burglary results. Such are core elements of a more professional burglary. Most Ďaverage Americansí, absent some glaring personal security lapse, are unlikely to suffer a loss at professional hands.
    Concerning theft countermeasures, this adage seems to well apply as a great starting point: Use common sense and otherwise simply make your residence appear the least attractive burglary target in your neighborhood. Other than this, I donít believe in Ďone fits allí advice approach on this entire topic. A good personalized hazards analysis and implementing reasonable response measures, fulfills the other portion of the equation.

I've always sworn I'd never have a gunsafe in a unheated garage, but I have an uncle that's kept one for years with no problems. He has some very high dollar guns in a safe in his garage in WV and swears he's never had one spot of rust develop. He's very picky about his stuff, so I'm sure he's right, but the thought of the wide temperature changes still scares me.

I say go for it, but whatever you do, fasten it to the ground. I have been working on a case that has taught me about how unsafe a gun safe can be. 15-30 mins, a sledgehammer, a crowbar, and a little sweat can get into pretty much any gun type safe. If you can spin it over on it's front, you can beat into it. If it can be rolled, it can usually be opened. The garage is as good as anywhere, if you keep them clean and take care of them.
    "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?

If you put a few cans of black powder in it it will make the act of cutting it open much more interesting. After all you cant have all that powder out where childern can find it.

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

Time is the enemy of the thief. the more time it is going to take the less likely the thief is to succeed. Bolts, chain, etc etc one more action required.
    The Navy man says" allways tie a good knot" the Air Force guy says " Allways tie lots of em"
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    have in basement next to the garage two full safe and up stairs two full safes with the most expensive collectibles.
    all treated cleaned greased the same......the one in the basement sometime produces spots of mold on the oil finished stocks.
    but no rust.....i have to clean the safe inside, outside the basement guns 3 times a year to get a head start of the mold.....
    you can have Cam's, alarms, bolted, chained but i think the tear gas trip wire protection sold now a days Will catch everybody's attention....
    at my house on a dead end road with every door that is steel, and reinforced steel framed bolted to floors and walls, ceiling frames, with excellent long tonged dead bolt lockes....
    your have to go back outside to break into each room....getting around all cameras, alarms is another story...if everyones gone from home which isn't often at all....neigborhood is deputy and below the hill another deputy.......we are the neighborhood watch form hell the angles warned you about!....hunters in the other houses.......but a garage i wouldn't have the added protection with more doors to go through.
    It is nice to have neighbors who will watch out for you.

In my city home, I do not have such. In my country home, I have my brother-in-laws who are very possessive.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by rr2241tx View Post
    The obvious drawback to home alarm systems is that they all have technician overide codes and although YOU may not know the code, but they are widely known in the B&E Profession. Prison is just technical school for criminals.
    That is why it helps to have two alarms, with the second not being noticeable.
    Charlie

My guns are not all that special, but they were my Dad's and my Granddad's, they are both gone. I am the only family member that took any of the gun collection so the rest of the collection is gone. The value of my guns is more sentimental value then dollar value. You can't replace that.
    In many respects, your firearms are more valuable than mine. I have my first rifle - a 22 which I won at a school festival when I was 15 and then a small pistol that belonged to my grandfather. Money cannot replace those.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    If you put a few cans of black powder in it it will make the act of cutting it open much more interesting. After all you cant have all that powder out where childern can find it.
    Would be sort of hard on the guns and house I think.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat46 View Post
    Time is the enemy of the thief. the more time it is going to take the less likely the thief is to succeed. Bolts, chain, etc etc one more action required.
    Exactly - especially if an alarm is going off.
    Charlie

Your homeowners insurance rider usually is very expensive and limited for firearms. I suggest a specialist like collectinsure.com that will cover all firearms cost without nitpicking it and also cover shipping and gunshow losses.

Insurance companies only cut premiums about 15% for alarm systems and/or safes. To me that shows how much they are worth in preventing property losses - very little.

I've actually sold off a large part of my collection over the last year or so. Lack of insurance coverage being the primary reason. I checked into collector policies but figured I rather just keep my primary interest firearms rather than pay the insurance premiums.

Your homeowners insurance rider usually is very expensive and limited for firearms. I suggest a specialist like collectinsure.com that will cover all firearms cost without nitpicking it and also cover shipping and gunshow losses.

Insurance companies only cut premiums about 15% for alarm systems and/or safes. To me that shows how much they are worth in preventing property losses - very little.
    That company may be reliable. But I have asked on three occasions for a sample copy of their policy. Three times I have been promised a copy but neve was able to get it. All I hear is -- sign up, you will be covered. Sot of like obama care - we have to pass it so that we will know what is in it.

I cannot understand why they will not provide a copy of their policy - I was able to get a copy from the other two companies.
    Charlie

You do know that they have gun safes that bolt together.

That company may be reliable. But I have asked on three occasions for a sample copy of their policy. Three times I have been promised a copy but never was able to get it.
    They sent me the policy when I first signed up and update pages the few times there have been changes. I've never heard of any problems collecting for covered losses but intend to check and see if there's any comparative information on fiirearms insurance.
    I do know of some cases where homeowners policies have had problems. My son's homeowners insurance was cancelled... just a coincidence that it was after a couple $thousand worth of his guns were stolen?

They sent me the policy when I first signed up and update pages the few times there have been changes. I've never heard of any problems collecting for covered losses but intend to check and see if there's any comparative information on fiirearms insurance.
    I do know of some cases where homeowners policies have had problems. My son's homeowners insurance was cancelled... just a coincidence that it was after a couple $thousand worth of his guns were stolen
    ?
    Probably related to there having been a claim at all, no regard as to why. Break-in and theft, claim, cancellation, no matter what was stolen. That is common - and IMO unconscionable, despite it being common

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Probably related to there having been a claim at all, no regard as to why. Break-in and theft, claim, cancellation, no matter what was stolen. That is common - and IMO unconscionable, despite it being common
    Almost sounds like two different sets of thieves. One who wants to get what you have and not get caught and the other that wants to take your money and hopes you forget to make a payment or you cancel the policy before they get caught and have to pay out.

I do know of some cases where homeowners policies have had problems. My son's homeowners insurance was cancelled... just a coincidence that it was after a couple $thousand worth of his guns were stolen?
    Not surprising on the homeowners policy. Firearms make the household high risk.

As to the policy, I want to see it "before" I sign so that I can compare it to the other companies. I pay a very high preminium, and I don't do a Pelosi and sign so that I can then read.
    Charlie

With Allstate it added only a few dollars per month.