Thread: Difference in primers?

Default Difference in primers?

What is the difference in primers? I mean one type. Small rifle primers. I cant find a recipe that includes CCI #400 for .223 rem. Are these suitable or interchange able with say Remington 7 1/2?
    A you tube post by DeAndre McInnis "Erwin Rommel was a smart mother f@cker."

if you are near max loads it may be wise to back off 10% and work loads up again.

No I am starting with the suggested start then I am going to work my way up if needed. I will be shooting these loads in a Match AR 15. I was conserned that the CCI 400s may not be heavy enough for this rifle?

haha i use wolf primmers and they do fine. no altercations.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Mike View Post
    What is the difference in primers? I mean one type. Small rifle primers. I cant find a recipe that includes CCI #400 for .223 rem. Are these suitable or interchange able with say Remington 7 1/2?
    Mike. For practical purposes, there are basically 2 types of "small rifle primers". 1) standard. 2) Magnum. Now before everybody jumps in with?, I know there are a few more subtypes like BR (which the Rem 7 1/2 is) and some mil-spec types. There is even some difference in what are called magnum. It seems Wolf "magnum" means that they are harder to reduce the occurrence of slam fires in semi autos. U.S. made "magnum" primers are "hotter" to help light ball powder or large charges in magnum calibers.
    The only time I would be concerned about switching from one "small rifle primer" to another is if I had an established max load because a different primer may make it over max. If your just starting to work your load up and your data calls for a standard primer you can use any standard or BR primer. I recently picked up some Rem. 6 1/2's. When primers were in low supply the only thing I could get was the 7 1/2 BR. I tried one of my "bulk bullet" loads with the 6 1/2's to save the BR's for varmint use. So far I have not noticed any difference. I can still hit golf balls at 200 yards with my VTR-15.
    Motor

Thanks Motor that was my big consern that the CCI 400 arnt BR or Mil spec. As I will be using them to roll up some loads for an AR15 Match rifle. I had bought my Lymann manual when I picked up the primers. I didnt notice that they were loading with Remington 7 1/2 primers until I got into some reading.

Mike,
    My friend uses the CCI 400 for ALL his AR loads.
    If it wasn't for the "primer shortage" I would be using the CCI 400 in my AR but now since I have worked all of my loads up with the Rem. 7 1/2 I've stayed with Rem. but I'm substituting in the 6 1/2 for my "fun" shooting loads. Like I said though I haven't noticed any difference in performance/accuracy yet.
    I just picked up 200 CCI 450's in a package deal so I'll be looking to load them into some "fun" shooting ammo. The old rule of thumb is: A magnum primer is equal to 1 grain of powder increase. So I'll most likely look for a load that has room to move upwards and reduce it 1 grain. I have at least one load that uses H-335. It may be a good candidate for the 450 primer.
    Motor

Those regular CCI 400 will be just fine in a AR I used them exclussively in mine when I shot highpower.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

LETS GO PENS !!!!!!!!!!!!!