Default Best Left handed auto pistol

I have a coworker who is a southpaw. He came to me asking my advise for what would be the best CCW type pistol for a lefty.

I thought and thought and for the life of me I couldnt think of a small auto pistol that would be suitable for a left hander. He currently has a Taurus Millennium but its controls are all suited for righties.

I thought maybe a H&K PSP, but its on the heavy side for CCW.....anyone have any suggestions?

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

A lot of current guns have ambidexterous safeties, so any one of those. Or a revolver.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

I like ruger semi-auto's, along with their sp-101. The sp-101 is pretty good for concealed carry, it's smaller. you also have a choice of .38 or .357 to shoot out of it.
    being a lefty can make it hard to find a semi-auto that feels right, but with the ambidextrous safeties becoming fairly normal we have a lot more to choose from these days. Keith
    Say you love her 'till she lays down the butcher knife. -Tim Wilson

"Luck" is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

Glock .

Fiveshot

Charter Arms makes a left handed revolver. (cylinder pops out to the right, not left).
    There was a firm that made a dedicated LH .45 auto, but they are now mucho denero.
    Practice with any of them, and find what lever or button gets popped at the wrong time with your left hand, and
    practice some more.

As a lefty I've never had any problem using any gun. I usually flick or sweep the safety off with my index finger as I draw. I prefer a gun with no safety other than a double action trigger for the first shot in any case..

99% of revolvers open to the left...cylinder latch, on the left, not practical for a lefty

His biggest concern is the mag release is tough to manipulate when your a lefty....some pistols have changeable right to left mag releases and some have ambi releases....just I cant think of any...I know I seen some though.

Sigs have a reversible mag release. Not sure if the hammer drop is also reversible, but he can use his trigger finger on it.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

Your original thought (P7) was on the money. Finest ever made and inherently ambidexterous. I'd rather carry a little extra weight and know that I had the best protecting me.
    I guarantee that you're smarter than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo00 View Post
    99% of revolvers open to the left...cylinder latch, on the left, not practical for a lefty

His biggest concern is the mag release is tough to manipulate when your a lefty....some pistols have changeable right to left mag releases and some have ambi releases....just I cant think of any...I know I seen some though.
    The only revolvers I have a problem with are Smiths. The Rugars are easy t hit the release on as you slide your left hand back while shifting your rights grip to go for your speed loader with the strong left hand. Clots are as easy to hit as Rugars they just move a bit different. Only the Smiths and othrs where you have to push forward are a pain in the ass to hit left handed.

On most full size autos I can release the mag with the trigger finger, though it does move my hand from the shooting grip slightly. Most brands are at least switchable now, though for CCW if you can hit it with the index finger you are fine the only time it would really matter is if you were shaving tenths for competition.

Your best bet is just to get this guy to the range with a variety of guns. See what works for him. Most left handers have come up with a variety of strategys to deal with things designed for right handed people.

My carry gun is a Makarov. Positive on/off safety which I carry off, though I still check it with my draw stroke, and a heel mag release that I can work under stress with either hand. The sig 232 is a nice choice in a new smaller pistol with a heel release.

Everyone seems to be unaware that John Moses Browning was a lefty and that makes the 1911 the first auto for lefties.
    Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team

"God must love stupid people. He made SO many."

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/Bear-45-70/P4130002a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bear 45/70 View Post
    Everyone seems to be unaware that John Moses Browning was a lefty and that makes the 1911 the first auto for lefties.
    Imagine if Browning had designed the 1911 with safety, slide release, ejection port and mag release on the right side of the pistol?......The 1911 may have never been.

He was out to make money and the world is predominantly right handed.

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

You have a friend who is a southpaw? hand him a CZ 82 and watch him light up.
    Also the Beretta model 96 40 cal is right up there too.
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

Quote Originally Posted by BWilhelm View Post
    Your original thought (P7) was on the money. Finest ever made and inherently ambidexterous. I'd rather carry a little extra weight and know that I had the best protecting me.
    You got me thinking so I got out my P7M8 and its got ambi mag release. Its been a while since I shot it and now I remember how fast a mag change was, Id use my trigger finger to hit the mag release.

Its gotta be one of the all time well designed handguns ever.

Taurus PT609. 9mm ambi, nice and compact. My CCW
    Vigilance in Living counteracts Stupidity in Dying
    Per Scintillam Flamma

My profoundly lefthanded wife prefers either her Ruger LCR or her H&K Compact 45 with all the levers either ambi or of the left side.
    Bear 45/70
    Gimp racing Team

"God must love stupid people. He made SO many."

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r206/Bear-45-70/P4130002a.jpg

As a lefty, and having long fingers, I got tired of trying to find a gun that fit me. especially when no gun store carries every single model and every vesion of those models. I tend to perfer those where the slide release is further forward and sticking out a little like on a Makarov, 1911, some CZs... This is why I HATE the Glocks. Small slide release way to far back for my comfort. Latley a lot of companies are making semi or complete ambi pistols. Here are some that are 100% ambi

-Smith&Wesson M&P. - Full size or compact. All have two sided slide release and the mag release flips around in 30 seconds. Those that have safeties have em on both sides I carry the full size 9 and .45
    -FNs FNP FNX - The FNP has ambi mag release and safety. FNX is completely ambi
    -Sig P250 - fully ambidextrous
    -H&K - P2000 or P30. Fully ambidextrous (but expansive)
    -CZ85 - Just like the 75 only controls on both sides
    -Charter Arms 38 Bulldog - Left handed revolver. Drum release on the right and drum opens to the right.
    -EAA EZ9- Think sig 226

Some semi ambidextous pistols. Most of these just have the safety and mag release on both sides
    -Glock20 full size 45
    -Springfeild XD
    -Ruger sr9
    -S&W body guard revolver. Has drum release on top but opend to the right

There is probably more but thats all I can think of at the moment

I'm also a lefty and gave this consider thought as well when I started buying firearms. Do I want the lefty Stag ar15 upper? Do I want the lefty charter arms revolver? Do I want the lefty 11-87 shotgun? Do I convert the mag releases on my Berettas to be lefty friendly.

I ended up buying run of the mill "regular" firearms for CCW, for the simple fact that I could "learn" to use "regular" ones proficently. This way, I know that I won't freeze on a "normal" revolver trying to get the cylinder to open different, I won't be frustrated trying to drop a magazine from a "normal" Beretta, etc.

Consider the fact that you may have to use an unfamilar firearm in a stressful situations. If you've trained yourself to use "lefty" guns, it may cost you! The lefty guns are great and fit a niche market, but I don't think its wise in this situation.

Some considerations in CCW world: the position of the slide release doesn't really matter as you never use the slide release (at least the way I was trained we rack the slide back after inserted a fresh mag), I've learned to use my thumb to disengage the safety on the left side of the gun (even on ambi models), etc.

I'm FAR from being an expert on the subject, just some of the thought process I went through!

Howard

They don't make 'em anymore, but about the only thing not lefty friendly about my Walther P5 is the decocker. The first shot is DA, so there's no safety to mess with, it has a European-style mag release and it ejects to the left. I used to carry it all the time.

Now, my dad's a confirmed lefty and he just learned to use a right handed gun. He shoots lefty, but golfs right handed (couldn't afford left handed clubs when he was young!) blasterboy82 made a good point above. You can get used to an awful lot that doesn't seem right at the start.

I find it to be very useful as I hold the weapon/cylinder in my right hand and load with my left.

Latecomer to this thread but:

the CZ 82 (makarov caliber, usually) or 83 (380, usually) is PERFECT for a lefty with ambi safety and mag release. While many guns have ambi safetys, few have the mag drop suitable for leftys. The downside is they are weakish calibers, mak is basically a 380 though you can get a hot load that is on par with the *weakest* 9mm loadings.

The XD from Springfield,the FN FNX,HK,annnnd I think the Walther series (P99) are some that are ambi mag releases.

It's not much as big of a deal as you would think

Just avoid........

pistols with left side only safeties
    pistols that the mag release gets in the way of your grip. If it does, you'll be dropping mags

I'm a lefty and the glock works out fine for me. No manual safety to worry about.
    A vid I made showing glock 19 left handed operation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah2GEGrnpYI

Didn't Randall make a true left-handed (mirror image) 1911 at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat46 View Post
    You have a friend who is a southpaw? hand him a CZ 82 and watch him light up.
    Also the Beretta model 96 40 cal is right up there too.
    Another vote on the CZ 82. Picked one up at the local shop last week. I'm profondly left handed, and the CZ 82 followed me home, great lefty gun.

docnyt. I have an old Randal that was made for a left hander. Mirror image of the 1911 and is perfect, but they are hard to find now, and have gotten very expensive, but the only true left handed handgun besides single actions that I know of. Even the ejector port is reversed. Really cool. Hank
    Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding. I have no such indulgence nor understanding of criminals. Neither does my .45.

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger_h View Post
    docnyt. I have an old Randal that was made for a left hander. Mirror image of the 1911 and is perfect, but they are hard to find now, and have gotten very expensive, but the only true left handed handgun besides single actions that I know of. Even the ejector port is reversed. Really cool. Hank
    That's pretty neat. Randall was ahead of it's time. I'm hesitating on buying a regular Randall from a seller 2 hours away. If he lived closer it would be mine.

CZ-82 recommended once again by a lefty! It's the greatest!

I like the S&W M&P compact. If they need something smaller the .380 Bodyguard. I have both and love them!
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts.
    [Points to sword] But this....this you can trust!"

Conan the Barbarian, 1982

H&K P-7. Best call.

Thats funny. Never heard any mention of the Randall on the Gunboards before. I used to have a really nice one in stainless. Traded it for a M39, enfield, and a couple mausers. Probably lost out on that deal.
    I do have the P7, and say it is worth the extra weight! Very safe and reliable, even if you're using the wrong hand!

Walther Model 4, cal. 7.65mm
    It ejects out the left side of the gun.

I'm a lefty.
    Have shot almost everything including Glocks. I originally wanted a Glock 22 or a H&K USP40 but after a month of late night online research, I bought a M&P40. LOVE IT! Lots of police departments like Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Detroit, etc. use them and love them too.

Ambi slide release. Mag release can be set for southpaws very easily.
    If the model has a safety lever, its ambi too. Grips inserts can be set-up for most all size hands.
    A great accurate pistol that gobbles up any ammo I feed it.

Quote Originally Posted by docnyt View Post
    Didn't Randall make a true left-handed (mirror image) 1911 at one time?
    Yep...it's the only Randall lefty I own at present - have all the RH .45 models, an' tryin' to find the rest of the LH .45's!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B111-1.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	428330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B111-2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	428332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B111-3.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	428331