Gunboards Forums banner

"The Load" and the 9.3x57

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Ordtech 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I did a quick search but nothing came up, so I thought I'd ask yet another question ;)

Since my moose hunting trips usually consist of seeing 100 grouse for every moose (on average
) and now that I'm getting into reloading, I was looking into a reduced load.

From what I'm reading (http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/TheLoad.html it looks like I just substitute my regular powder with 13 gr of Red Dot (which I have a few pounds of) and my bullet with a cast one. I was thinking of trying the 9.3 bullet from The Bullet Barn. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Cory

See less See more
#2 ·
There is a great weath of information on 9.3x57 loading in the stickie at the top of the page - in fact, I would dare say that stickie probably has more information on the 9.3x57 than any other place on the internet.

#5 ·
I loaded a few paper patched 38 wadcutters with 700X but, never got around to shooting them. I think I loaded from 11.5 grains to 13 grains in half grain increments but, would have to look at the slip in the box. 13 grains of Red Dot works for 7 x 57 and 8 x 57 and just about every military cartridge with about equal or greater volume so you should be in the neighborhood. I haven't been to Milsurp website in a long time but, was told they were working up new powders for The Load.
Our range is closed for another year at least, so I will live vicariously from your posts. I don't like experimenting at public ranges where I have a time limit and a line behind me.

#6 · (Edited)
"THE LOAD" of 13 grains of Red Dot powder and an appropriate cast bullet was developed by C.E. Harris, a contributor to the American Rifleman and a cast bullet devotee. It's original purpose was an all around load for military sized cartridges for 100 yard or less shooting. It also works well for hunting cartridges such as the 30-30, etc.

I believe that LEE also makes a .366 pistol bullet mound designed for the Makarov pistol. This should work as a small game or bird load in the 9.3x57 as cast. If you need a sizer, then a letter U drill is .368. I drilled a piece of steel with a smaller drill and used a letter U reamer to get a good finish for a sizing die. I also made a bumping up die, and use 250 grain Hornady .358 bullets and increase their size by bumping them up to .366. A lot cheaper alternative to factory bullets.

ADDITION
I threaded my home made sizing die to fit in my reloading press, with a .365 diameter push rod, similar to the Lee sizing dies. Also, you have to put a taper on the entrance hole so that it allows oversize bullets to enter the die without shaving lead off the bullet. This die is about 4 inches long, but the actual sizing section is about 1 1/2 inches long, and the top drilled out to 3/8 inch for about 1 inch. This allows the sized bullet to be easily picked out of the die, or pushed out by the next sized bullet.

Although slower to use than the traditional Lyman or RCBS lubricator sizers, I believe that the biggest advantage to this method is that it gives a more accurately sized bullet by centering the bullet in the die, and is certainly a lot cheaper than buying a lubricator-sizer and the dies that go with it.

#7 ·
"THE LOAD" of 13 grains of Red Dot powder and an appropriate cast bullet was developed by C.E. Harris, a contributor to the American Rifleman and a cast bullet devotee. It's original purpose was an all around load for military sized cartridges for 100 yard or less shooting. It also works well for hunting cartridges such as the 30-30, etc.

I believe that LEE also makes a .366 pistol bullet mound designed for the Makarov pistol. This should work as a small game or bird load in the 9.3x57 as cast. If you need a sizer, then a letter U drill is .368. I drilled a piece of steel with a smaller drill and used a letter U reamer to get a good finish for a sizing die. I also made a bumping up die, and use 250 grain Hornady .358 bullets and increase their size by bumping them up to .366. A lot cheaper alternative to factory bullets.
Thanks for that! Lots of good info there.

Cory

#10 ·
I've been think of trying Trail Boss for a few years since I have it for 44 Colt. Just too many things to do. The instructions are pretty easy and there's no chance of an overcharge, although I didn't want to try with anything heavier than a 270 grain. Don't know if weight would make a difference since Hodgdon lists loads for 375 H&H but, even there they stayed with a 235 grain bullets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.